GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 948
0 members and 948 guests
No Members online

Old 10-16-2012, 06:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow, I didn't know my "tongue in cheek" question would cause such a debate! I was pretty much joking because whenever people here talk about "bad" law schools, they mention Cooley.

With that, I will say... I know that law schools have these tiers and all, but so do high schools. Some high schools are known to produce scholars and others are not. That doesn't mean that a very bright kid can't graduate from that school and do great things. Sometimes people continue learning on their own. Sometimes they get great experiences or mentors who help them learn more. Two kids can sit in the same classroom and learn very different things, depending on their own skills and interests. Some kids make an effort to learn more than is presented in class. I would suspect that is also true of law schools and law students.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post
You don't think it matters if you want to be a public defender in Grand Rapids? Absolutely, there are some Cooley grads who make it. But your odds are a whole lot better coming out of UM, Michigan State, Notre Dame, etc. This isn't something that only affects hopefuls for big firms in NY and DC.
Perhaps its a regional thing, but where I am, unless someone is looking for a federal appellate clerkship or to go to New York, Washington or Atlanta or join one of the major regional firms, no, it really doesn't matter all that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Further, being a preeminent scholar in your field does not equate to being a good professor.
Amen to that! I had a number of professors who "wrote the book." Some were great, others not so much. And having litigated against law professors, I'll add that being an acknowledged scholar in your field doesn't equate to being any good as an advocate for your client.

Quote:
All that said, what you learn in law school, maybe aside from research habits, has basically nothing to do with the actual practice of law. You leave with a basic understanding of common concepts in the law, how to use and interpret statutes and regs and constitutional principals, but very little idea on how to get a case to trial, or even how to use a PACER account. Judges nor juries GAS where you went to school. Employers might at the entry level, but that's really about it. Unless you're wanting to practice biglaw or be a clerk to someone on a circuit court, a T4 or T3 school may actually be a better degree program for what you want to do.
This.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

fasdf
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma

Last edited by Kevin; 10-28-2015 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Perhaps its a regional thing, but where I am, unless someone is looking for a federal appellate clerkship or to go to New York, Washington or Atlanta or join one of the major regional firms, no, it really doesn't matter all that much.
THIS.

(by way of background, I graduated from a law school that is on the edge of the top 50, did the law journal/moot court thing, and have been a civil defense attorney for a large company for 2.5 years)

Here's the thing: if you want to work in a major firm in the areas MC talked about (or Boston, San Fran, etc.), then you'd better have gone to a top 14 or top 20 school (undergrad doesn't matter at much at that point). You'll likely need good grades and journal/moot court experience as well, but honestly you'll need good grades wherever you go.

But, there are plenty of attorneys out there who don't go to top 14 schools.

You can still build a successful law practice having gone to a non-top tier school. Clients these days want smart lawyers who can represent them effectively and can give them "bang for their buck.". Whether they are paying $100 an hour or $1,000 per hour, they want their money's worth. If you're smart, practical, and can do the nuts and bolts (research, writing, problem-solving, negotiating), chances are you'll do ok.

That's not to say the market isn't bad: it is. Some firms look only at T14 schools.

However, if you can be flexible about your expectations, and if you do well in law school, and if you work your tail off, you have a chance.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I have wanted to be a lawyer since I was a child and plan on pursuing my dream. I'd like to go to a top Law School, if possible, to up my chances of getting a job. My parents also are both lawyers and would be able to help me find a good job.

I will be taking the LSATs in less than two years and am quite nervous!

We live for each other.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Rather then start a new thread, I decided to just turn this into the general law school thread. I have a question for you lawyery types. Is anybody familiar with programs that allow somebody to achieve a Canadian LLB or JD and an American JD at the same time?
Old 01-08-2013, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
Rather then start a new thread, I decided to just turn this into the general law school thread. I have a question for you lawyery types. Is anybody familiar with programs that allow somebody to achieve a Canadian LLB or JD and an American JD at the same time?
I have very little knowledge of any such programs, but I seem to remember that NYU at one time did a joint program with a Canadian university. I'm not sure if they still do.