GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,090
1 members and 2,089 guests
John

Old 08-09-2009, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

No grades were not an issue for her. I would think Greek Life would be pro active and tell them they won't get a bid based on their grades. Does USM do Spring recruitment? That at least would give these girls a chance to do well first semester and then pledge second semester.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-09-2009, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

And to TupeloHoney, your niece sounds like the kind of girl that any chapter at Southern Miss would love to have! I'm sure she has two great chapters left, and I hope she has a great time at skit today. The positive thing about the new release figures is that (usually) no girls get released from the system. However, because the biggest chapters have to release a lot of girls early because of the new system, it is hard on the chapter members too when they have to release PNMs that they would otherwise have kept around longer and gotten to know better. The new system seems to always work out well in the end, but it can be heartbreaking to both PNMs and the chapters in the beginning. It's hard to narrow down the list with so many great girls! Best of luck to your niece!!
Old 08-09-2009, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2girls View Post
...Her mom told me at parent orientation they said that in the past five years no girl has been completely released from recruitment, this must be the year as several received no invites to first rounds yesterday.
Are you sure about that? Did you hear it from a reliable/knowledgable source (like Panhellenic) or is this just the rumor going around?

Usually it is more likely PNMs voluntarily withdrew after the first round because they were unhappy with the Chapters they were invited back to. They may tell everyone they were cut when in reality they were only cut by the Chapters that mattered to them. But as far as they are concerned, it's the same difference.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
No grades were not an issue for her. I would think Greek Life would be pro active and tell them they won't get a bid based on their grades. Does USM do Spring recruitment? That at least would give these girls a chance to do well first semester and then pledge second semester.
I don't know specifically about USM, but Panhellenics across the country are notorious for not being upfront with PNMs. They'll say it is the responsibility of the Chapters to obtain Recs when in reality if a PNM doesn't have them she will face dramatic cuts. They will say the minimum GPA is like a 2.7 to go through Recruitment when all the Chapters will cut anyone below a 3.0. It happens all the time and no, it is not fair.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

This was mentioned in the parent's meeting to the parent's attending the information session. If the girls maximized all their options they would receive a bid. It was stated very clearly that in the past no girls had been fully released. Anyway it is over and she is heading home as soon as her mom can pick her up. She was released today. She had a 3.85 gpa, beautiful, talented and athletic. It is what it is. She seems to be fine and will do great things otherwise. Thanks to everyone for listening.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMAnchorGirl View Post
As far as cut once/cut always, that may not be the policy for every chapter, but it is for many.
Is this an actual honest to God written down bylaw in the chapters' member selection processes, or just a tradition? momof2girls, if a chapter does have this, it's a chapter policy, not a Panhellenic one, and therefore Panhel can't make any rulings on it or prevent people from rushing because of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMAnchorGirl View Post
Also, as far as some girls getting no invites, I was told by a chapter president that a few girls that had signed up for recruitment had GPAs that would make the ineligible to actually pledge any of the sororities. Greek Life was going to call them to let them know, but they cannot actually force the girls to not come through recruitment.
Doesn't the Greek Life office specify a minimum GPA to go through recruitment? If they don't, they should. If they do, and stuff like this is still happening, it should be one that actually makes sense with what the chapters are asking (for example, if all the chapters want 3.0 or over, the minimum stated by the Greek life office shouldn't be 2.5).
Old 08-09-2009, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

How many chapters are you allowed to attend on Skit Day and how many on Pref Day?
Old 08-09-2009, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
This was mentioned in the parent's meeting to the parent's attending the information session. If the girls maximized all their options they would receive a bid. It was stated very clearly that in the past no girls had been fully released. Anyway it is over and she is heading home as soon as her mom can pick her up. She was released today. She had a 3.85 gpa, beautiful, talented and athletic. It is what it is. She seems to be fine and will do great things otherwise. Thanks to everyone for listening.
how sad. do you mean that she will not be attending usm?
Old 08-09-2009, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Doesn't the Greek Life office specify a minimum GPA to go through recruitment? If they don't, they should. If they do, and stuff like this is still happening, it should be one that actually makes sense with what the chapters are asking (for example, if all the chapters want 3.0 or over, the minimum stated by the Greek life office shouldn't be 2.5).
This is the thing - NPC does not approve of the College PH setting a grade requirement as the feeling is it should be left up to the individual organizations. Withi each NPC group, there are varying requirements.
Delta Gamma requires a "C" average. Well, we all know that no chapter wants someone with a "c" average in high school. It's just a very difficult situation...
Old 08-09-2009, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
This is the thing - NPC does not approve of the College PH setting a grade requirement as the feeling is it should be left up to the individual organizations. Withi each NPC group, there are varying requirements.
Delta Gamma requires a "C" average. Well, we all know that no chapter wants someone with a "c" average in high school. It's just a very difficult situation...
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but if you have a "C" average in high school, you're pretty lucky to be going to college, so you probably should be focusing on studying rather than joining a sorority, shouldn't you? College is hard, usually. I looked at some schools sites and the h.s. GPAs required to get in. I am curious how some of these girls are getting into these colleges with these GPAs. Sororities should be the least of their concerns.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

maybe they knocked the ball out of the park on their SAT's?
Old 08-09-2009, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Perhaps. But if it's down to her with the C and high SAT and Patty PNM with a 3.8 and the same SAT, guess who gets the invite.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Well I know each group can set different GPAs that they want...no problem there...but like I said, if all the groups require at least a 3.0 and they are letting girls with a 1.9 go through...that's deplorable. If nothing else, the school should go over Panhel's head and set a minimum. Or can't they do that since the groups are relying on high school grades? Just another reason deferred rush is better from an academic standpoint...
Old 08-09-2009, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Perhaps. But if it's down to her with the C and high SAT and Patty PNM with a 3.8 and the same SAT, guess who gets the invite.
I guess I'm missing something, but I don't see a problem with this. I would be worried about "C" being able to keep up.

Then again, I don't think we had a GPA requirement for our sororities. There was no need.

Also, don't most of the recruitment booklets list the minimum GPAs that are needed for each sorority, both for hs and college? Isn't there some responsibility for the PNM to look at that and say "Hmm...I have a 2.5. Maybe I'm only going to be able to possibly pledge 2 houses?"

Last edited by BlueCarnation; 08-09-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCarnation View Post
I guess I'm missing something, but I don't see a problem with this. I would be worried about "C" being able to keep up.

Then again, I don't think we had a GPA requirement for our sororities. There was no need.

Also, don't most of the recruitment booklets list the minimum GPAs that are needed for each sorority, both for hs and college? Isn't there some responsibility for the PNM to look at that and say "Hmm...I have a 2.5. Maybe I'm only going to be able to possibly pledge 2 houses?"
What seems to be being said is this. If all the individual chapters have their chapter GPA requirements, then the school should stop people from going true recruitment if they are below that. Lets say the GPA requirments for all teh chapters is a 3.o, then you can't recruit if you are below that. But what if some are at 2.5 and some are at 3.o, then you can't go through recruitment if you have less then a 2.5.