GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,301
1 members and 2,300 guests
Sciencewoman

Old 06-17-2012, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Am I getting to the "wedding age"? By the end of this year, I'll have attended four weddings in one year--definitely more than I've ever attended in one year. These people are only a few years older than I am. Wow. I guess it's time to get used to going to a lot of these.

MelindaWarren aka Bellatrix Lestrange
Wanna follow me on Pinterest? PM me!
"It is our choices that show who we truly are, far more than our abilities."-Albus Dumbledore
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-25-2012, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

It's my first anniversary! woohoo! :-)
Old 06-25-2012, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

T-A-C-K-Y, you ain't got no alibi YOU TACKY!

My cousin, who's the same age as I am, is engaged to a lovely young woman.

About two months ago, I received a text saying that they wouldn't be doing save-the-dates but to keep November 3 open for their wedding. It also included a link to their wedding website.

When I saw them last month, he asked me if I was coming to the wedding--on November 3.

Now, today, I received another text indicating that their wedding has been pushed to March of 2013. According to my mother, my cousin's fiancee needed a new car--hence the postponing. My sister--who's allegedly a reader at said wedding--just learned of the postponing when we all received the text.

I have a few questions:

1. Isn't this why people do Save-the-Date cards? I'm the first one to say that S-T-D cards are sometimes over the top, but seriously?

2. Shouldn't you wait until you have a confirmed date to send said S-T-D cards?

3. If something as simple as a new car, unless you're paying for it cash, is going to set back your wedding almost 6 months, shouldn't you just have a smaller wedding to begin with? It's not as if they experienced a major disaster, like a fire or health emergency.

4. Shouldn't you let the wedding party know first if you're changing the date?

Please, have at it people!!!
Old 06-25-2012, 04:59 PM

I fail to see how buying a car is going to torpedo your budget and cause you to change your date, unless you're buying a Maybach or something? lol.

WHOA at being part of a wedding and finding out about a postponement via text message. Rude.

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Cars are really expensive, at least so I've been told. I don't know her reasoning so I'm not gonna judge. Finding out about the postponement via text was pretty rude...at least have the courtesy to call them.

Mini rant: Is it just me, or do people not take engagements seriously anymore? My best friend, who I love dearly, is engaged. This is the fifth time she's been engaged to four different guys. They never go through with it, and it always breaks up into a big mess and she's left crying on the bed clutching his "grandmothers" ring and I'm trying to comfort her without telling her "I told you so". It's not just her, either- so many of my friends, or facebook friends, are engaged after 3-6 months. Meanwhile I've been with the same guy for like 17 months and the most we've done marriage-wise is talk about it, and he's giving me a promise ring when he can afford it. I mean, I get that only that couple can decide when they're ready for marriage, but when you've been engaged twice and you're 18 maybe you should rethink some things.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
I fail to see how buying a car is going to torpedo your budget and cause you to change your date, unless you're buying a Maybach or something? lol.

WHOA at being part of a wedding and finding out about a postponement via text message. Rude.
Yeah, it's kind of a mess. My mom said that the bride's mother is a wedding planner, which I find hard to believe. I believe I said, "is she a wedding planner for realsies or does she just call herself that?"

I think they got really excited about getting married and realized how expensive everything was going to be. Instead of pulling back and making their guest list shorter they just postponed the wedding without telling their parents or the wedding party. Sheesh.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
I think they got really excited about getting married and realized how expensive everything was going to be. Instead of pulling back and making their guest list shorter they just postponed the wedding without telling their parents or the wedding party. Sheesh.
This is what I thought when I first read the post. Sometimes it takes a while to realize how much weddings cost or perhaps something wasn't available during November such as a location.

Or maybe she's pregnant and doesn't want to walk down the aisle barefoot.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 06-25-2012, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
My cousin, who's the same age as I am, is engaged to a lovely young woman.

About two months ago, I received a text saying that they wouldn't be doing save-the-dates but to keep November 3 open for their wedding. It also included a link to their wedding website.

When I saw them last month, he asked me if I was coming to the wedding--on November 3.

Now, today, I received another text indicating that their wedding has been pushed to March of 2013. According to my mother, my cousin's fiancee needed a new car--hence the postponing. My sister--who's allegedly a reader at said wedding--just learned of the postponing when we all received the text.

I have a few questions:

1. Isn't this why people do Save-the-Date cards? I'm the first one to say that S-T-D cards are sometimes over the top, but seriously?

2. Shouldn't you wait until you have a confirmed date to send said S-T-D cards?

3. If something as simple as a new car, unless you're paying for it cash, is going to set back your wedding almost 6 months, shouldn't you just have a smaller wedding to begin with? It's not as if they experienced a major disaster, like a fire or health emergency.

4. Shouldn't you let the wedding party know first if you're changing the date?

Please, have at it people!!!
Ha, I have friends who pushed their wedding back twice, and I thought that I had just been univited when the first date came and went. Turns out the fall harvest was late (early?) that year, and too many of her family members wouldn't have been able to make it. The second time was to wait for it to be legal in our state. So, obviously those were both good reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgeek View Post
Mini rant: Is it just me, or do people not take engagements seriously anymore? My best friend, who I love dearly, is engaged. This is the fifth time she's been engaged to four different guys. They never go through with it, and it always breaks up into a big mess and she's left crying on the bed clutching his "grandmothers" ring and I'm trying to comfort her without telling her "I told you so". It's not just her, either- so many of my friends, or facebook friends, are engaged after 3-6 months. Meanwhile I've been with the same guy for like 17 months and the most we've done marriage-wise is talk about it, and he's giving me a promise ring when he can afford it. I mean, I get that only that couple can decide when they're ready for marriage, but when you've been engaged twice and you're 18 maybe you should rethink some things.
You don't know someone well enough in 3-6 months to know if you should marry. You think you do, and sometimes you turn out to be right, but you could also turn out to be wrong.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post

You don't know someone well enough in 3-6 months to know if you should marry. You think you do, and sometimes you turn out to be right, but you could also turn out to be wrong.
Truth.

My mom and dad celebrated their 30th wedding anniversary last year. They met on a blind date, and got engaged three months later, and we're married at 6 months.

Meanwhile, hubs and I dated for 7 years (!), got engaged right before I graduated college, and didn't get married until after I finished graduate school. We're at the 3.5 year married mark, 10.5 years together.

Brother and SIL dated for...4 years? 3? Got engaged after she finished school, and have been married for 4 years.

So yeah, there's a range of engagement timing. I think that the "short" engagement was more common in my parent's age, whereas my generation (or perhaps the people I associate with?) are more likely to have an extended engagement...maybe...
Old 06-29-2012, 01:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
It's after midnight so OMG TOMORROW!

There's been so much craziness that past 3 weeks. Things going wrong, being too busy w/ work, moving etc. etc. Thank GOD my fiance has moved home because he's been super helpful in getting stuff done!

Latest crisis: Midway airport has some sort of power failure and two people in the bridal party have been diverted to other cities because their flights were tonight. Not TOO critical right now, but since both people live out of town, both need to pick up their dress/tux. I think my cousin is freaking out (only texted her, and her phone was dying so now shes not answering). She's been fitted for her dress, but hasn't tried it on in weeks cause she's out of town, so the shop was going to make last minute tweaks tomorrow. She's now in St. Louis and said she's driving in tonight. I am trying to get a hold of her, and telling her to just wait for a flight tomorrow. I'm very worried about her driving by herself overnight, after having a long day. I get that she's worried about the dress, but the shop we're working with is flat out amazing and I know will be able to accommodate her if she has a morning flight and needs to make her appointment tomorrow afternoon.

I hope she gets my text and listens to me. I'm so worried!

ETA: Got a text from my aunt. Stranded in St. Louis cousin is driving up with 3 people (strangers??) tonight. I was worried about her being with randoms at first, but then realized it's actually better for her to be traveling in numbers. I'm glad to know that they have plenty of drivers in case any one gets tired (only a 5 hour drive, but I'm sure they've all had long, long days...)

Last edited by lovespink88; 06-29-2012 at 01:48 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespink88 View Post
It's after midnight so OMG TOMORROW!

There's been so much craziness that past 3 weeks. Things going wrong, being too busy w/ work, moving etc. etc. Thank GOD my fiance has moved home because he's been super helpful in getting stuff done!
You are at the point where you need to just take a deep breath and stop worrying. The only thing that truly matters at this point is that you end up married tomorrow. The rest is fluff and "nice to have", but you have to relax and enjoy now!
Old 06-29-2012, 08:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
You are at the point where you need to just take a deep breath and stop worrying. The only thing that truly matters at this point is that you end up married tomorrow. The rest is fluff and "nice to have", but you have to relax and enjoy now!
I agree with AGDee. Remember how difficult it was to find your fiance and how may frogs you had to kiss/date before you met him. It will keep you in perspective for the big day. The most important thing is that you are finally getting married. Everything going perfect would just be nice.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Oh, I'm not worried about the "fluff". I'd say the well-being of my dear cousin who decided to drive across Illinois in the middle of the night with strangers is a legit reason to have a wee bit of concern LOL Forget about the fact that she was driving home for my wedding, I would have been worried about that regardless! She's safe and sound in the city now

The other fair thing to be stressed out about was the church called on WEDNESDAY and was like "oh we don't have your pre-cana card in your wedding file, we need that or you can't get married". Well thanks for the advance notice, church, I didn't realize this card existed! Not being able to get married? Yes, I'd say that's a fair thing to get stressed about considering this is my WEDDING After a few phone calls to the church, the pre-cana people, and a snotty email from a nun, we got that resolved pretty quickly.

Now all of the very last minute seating changes, the fact that Vistaprint effed up my order (that's a really funny story actually), and all the other shenanigans...I'm WAY over that.

For example, yesterday when I dropped off all of the "stuff" for the hall, the event planner there looked at me in horror when she saw that the placecards were just like a flat business card instead of a folded card. She says, "Okay, how would you like me to lay these out? I don't think this will fit on the table with the centerpiece because they are not folded" to which I replied "I don't know, can you please figure it out?" I mean isn't that her job? Shit, get a bigger table, I don't know???? lol
Old 06-29-2012, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespink88 View Post
Oh, I'm not worried about the "fluff". I'd say the well-being of my dear cousin who decided to drive across Illinois in the middle of the night with strangers is a legit reason to have a wee bit of concern LOL Forget about the fact that she was driving home for my wedding, I would have been worried about that regardless! She's safe and sound in the city now

The other fair thing to be stressed out about was the church called on WEDNESDAY and was like "oh we don't have your pre-cana card in your wedding file, we need that or you can't get married". Well thanks for the advance notice, church, I didn't realize this card existed! Not being able to get married? Yes, I'd say that's a fair thing to get stressed about considering this is my WEDDING After a few phone calls to the church, the pre-cana people, and a snotty email from a nun, we got that resolved pretty quickly.

Now all of the very last minute seating changes, the fact that Vistaprint effed up my order (that's a really funny story actually), and all the other shenanigans...I'm WAY over that.

For example, yesterday when I dropped off all of the "stuff" for the hall, the event planner there looked at me in horror when she saw that the placecards were just like a flat business card instead of a folded card. She says, "Okay, how would you like me to lay these out? I don't think this will fit on the table with the centerpiece because they are not folded" to which I replied "I don't know, can you please figure it out?" I mean isn't that her job? Shit, get a bigger table, I don't know???? lol
Love it. Lovespink88, you never seemed to have "pre-wedding jitters." I was wondering when/if it would hit you. It hit me 3 weeks before I got married. Here's hoping that you have a wonderful day tomorrow-I'm glad that the rain is coming today so your day should be sunny & bright.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DreamfulSpirit
Just relax and enjoy it tomorrow Lovespink! In the end, it will all work out and you will be a married lady by the end of tomorrow!!