GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,372
1 members and 1,371 guests
Cookiez17

Old 06-19-2006, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I've never been to a funeral recpetion. Now, I've been to gatherings where they served food after funerals. I wouldn't call that a "reception" though. Is this what she's talking about?

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-19-2006, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

^^ We call that a repass.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:08 AM
GreekChat Member

After I posted here I saw the link for Ghetto Weddings in the AKAs Forum. That's too funny. The worst ghetto wedding I attended involved females showing up at the wedding dressed like dern strippers, talking loud as hayle during the ceremony, and just over all acting like they have never been out of the house. How are you going to show up at a wedding with a blouse on cut down to your navel? (This girl was easily a D cup spilling over) WTF? And how are you going to crash someone's wedding and try and fight the bride over the groom?! Times are changing and obviously NOT for the best.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:06 PM

I went to a ghetto wake/viewing last year.

The woman was my grandma's friend. I didn't know her very well so I viewed the body and went to kneel and pray.

Well, in storms the woman's grown daughter. She is using every curse word in the book with the funeral director because "Mama's skin looks like sh*t!"

The man leans over the casket with the daughter so he can see what she's talking about. The daughter is irate and pointing. The man tries to tell her that he really can't see what she's talking about.

She screams "You can't SEE THIS SH*T???" She reaches into the casket and attempts to SIT the body up, while yelling "Look at her face!!"

He attempts to stop her from grabbing the body, since they've spent a great deal of time preparing it.

The woman's brother (son of the deceased) comes in and starts a FIGHT with the director.

The woman and her brother were dismissed from the wake by police.

Oy vey!

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JocelynC
I went to a ghetto wake/viewing last year.

The woman was my grandma's friend. I didn't know her very well so I viewed the body and went to kneel and pray.

Well, in storms the woman's grown daughter. She is using every curse word in the book with the funeral director because "Mama's skin looks like sh*t!"

The man leans over the casket with the daughter so he can see what she's talking about. The daughter is irate and pointing. The man tries to tell her that he really can't see what she's talking about.

She screams "You can't SEE THIS SH*T???" She reaches into the casket and attempts to SIT the body up, while yelling "Look at her face!!"

He attempts to stop her from grabbing the body, since they've spent a great deal of time preparing it.

The woman's brother (son of the deceased) comes in and starts a FIGHT with the director.

The woman and her brother were dismissed from the wake by police.

Oy vey!

That's funny because I wouldn't necessarily regard this as "ghetto." I have been to a number of funerals and I can say that the closer you are with a person, the more likely you are to notice EVERY SINGLE imperfection with the preparation, regardless of how minute it may be to the average man. And again, when overwhelmed with grief, you act out of character (or if it IS your character, it's magnified tenfold). However, I would consider it EXTREMELY extra to engage in a physical fight with the funeral director.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Here in the Windy City trying to look cute with my hair blown all over my head.
Send a message via Yahoo to UpPinkies
My father's aunt died. Well she was not a very well off women so her brother had to bury her. So we go to the church and her best friend who grew up with her is a minister (they told me he was, but I still do not believe it). So he get up and starts preaching about there child hood etc. Then he goes on saying to the people in attendance:

*you know she never was married and had all her children out of wedlock
*You know all her children had different daddies
*you know all her children have never been married
*you know all her grandchild have been born out of wedlock
*you know she was ugly

So I was finished after that. I know my dad's aunt was not the perfect person, but she always made sure that the family stayed in touch with each other and I really loved her for that.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

alk about ghetto!!!

Once of my classmates was killed in an car accident in 2004. He was to marry that next weekend. Why the fiance' wore the wedding dress to the funeral busting all out of it?!?!? The son had on his tux also. And in the casket they had the champaigne class and the napkin.

You know how the class present a resolution. They didn't even had that on program. My friend had to basically walk up to the podium and present it. Im my mind I was thinking this is the most GHETTOEST funeral I've ever went to in my life!!!!!
Old 06-21-2006, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSU BELLE
Why the fiance' wore the wedding dress to the funeral busting all out of it?!?!?
Old 06-23-2006, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: To all the bill collecta's I clare fo'gawd i'll pay ya on the 1st
Send a message via AIM to Gyrl7 Send a message via Yahoo to Gyrl7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamikaT
*My peeps BETTER grieve generously. They don't need to think they are too cute express their grief. Puffs Plusses, astha inhalers, salts, bottled water, and paper fans should be abundant!
*I know when I gets to heaven, the Lord will serve all of my needs, but I must take my most important worldly possessions up there with me! The following should be buried with me: all my zeta nalia, all my money, a picture of Nupe4Life and Rainman, my almost $2K Nolan Miller suit, my keys to my Lincoln Towncar, and a couple of playgirl magazines.
I know I'm late, still catching up on my reading from the hiatus I took, but Shamika T, girl I don't think I even have enough Puff Plusses after reading this post. LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....^5 to ya!
Old 06-25-2006, 12:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Ghetto or just sad

I do not know if this is Ghetto or just sad. I know a person who married a man that was in prison. When he was released ALL she wanted was to have a church wedding with all of the fanfare. Well she ended up passing because of a heart aliment before the wedding occured. To make a long story short, the man told me that they (her family) buried her in a wedding dress. I looked at him like. "what?" He said that she lookeded so beautiful.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTGIRL_32
I do not know if this is Ghetto or just sad. I know a person who married a man that was in prison. When he was released ALL she wanted was to have a church wedding with all of the fanfare. Well she ended up passing because of a heart aliment before the wedding occured. To make a long story short, the man told me that they (her family) buried her in a wedding dress. I looked at him like. "what?" He said that she lookeded so beautiful.
I've heard about this happening in NYC. There was a Hispanic woman who was killed by her ex-bf on her WEDDING DAY. He had busted into the church after learning she was getting married, an argument ensued and he killed her. Her family and fiance decided to bury her in her wedding dress.
"Having a nasty attitude won't yield you the results you want when you want them; it'll just make people steer clear of you and your toxicity in order to keep from being contaminated by you and your nastiness."- Me
Old 06-26-2006, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_sunshine
I've heard about this happening in NYC. There was a Hispanic woman who was killed by her ex-bf on her WEDDING DAY. He had busted into the church after learning she was getting married, an argument ensued and he killed her. Her family and fiance decided to bury her in her wedding dress.

Old 06-26-2006, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

I feel like they used to do this regularly, back in the day. I could be wrong, but I just remember seeing black and white photos of women who had passed (photos of the funeral, photos of a body/skeleton that had been dug up, etc) and the woman was wearing a wedding dress.

Now, I'm not saying that I want to be buried in my wedding dress, BUT it is probably the most expensive dress that I will ever buy. It almost makes sense to be buried in it.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FeeFee
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_sunshine
Yeah, I remembered that story. It was sooo sad.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I see the thought process behind it and I have heard of it being done. However, I DO NOT want to be sent off that way. To me, it just seems like all I ever lived for was to be married, thus I have to be sent off to the hereafter in my gown. If anything, maybe a white suit.... not the gown.