GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,330
0 members and 2,330 guests
No Members online

Old 09-28-2006, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LovinTriSigma03 Send a message via Yahoo to LovinTriSigma03
PNM's and Intentional Single Preference (aka 'suicide bid')

Hey Girls,
How do you girls feel about talking to the PNM's about the option about going "suicide"? What is your opinion of what a Rho Chi should say. I have the general idea, but my understanding is that the PNM's shouldn't know what it is and if it is mentioned to a Rho Chi, it should be an indication that it was discussed during a recruitment party. FYI, at my campus there are only 2 NPC sororities, so its kind of a tricky situation if someone does go "suicide". Thanks girls!

Last edited by LovinTriSigma03; 09-28-2006 at 02:47 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-28-2006, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

If you'd rather join Al Qaeda then join XYZ, then suicide. - adpiufc
Old 09-28-2006, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LovinTriSigma03 Send a message via Yahoo to LovinTriSigma03
Sorry, the Title should say PNM's Going Suicide

Sorry the title got cut off for some reason
Old 09-28-2006, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

You can edit your post and change the title if you want.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:57 PM
GreekChat Member

What makes you think they must have learned about it from a recruitment party? They might have known the term prior to even setting foot on your campus.

As a former Rho Chi I know they push it down your throats to coach women to never SIP (slang term "suicide"), but the truth is some women would rather not be in a sorority at all than be in their second or third choice. For those women I think it should be an option, as long as they can handle the consequences of possibly not being greek.

I heard some troubling rumors of things that were said to PNMs at my school this year - that if women were cut from chapters they really liked after the first or second round (we're talking about the most popular chapters), that they should withdraw from recruitment and either wait for a snap bid or participate in spring COR. I don't know who advised them that that was a good idea, but they were obviously ill-informed. The supposedly "best" chapters won't be doing COR and probably won't even have to snap. In my opinion, this is an example of something that should not be brought up as an option to PNMs during formal recruitment.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I wouldn't even bring it up until after the pref parties have ended and you are instructing your PNM's on how to fill out their cards. You don't need to use fancy terms like SIP or Suicide. Just do this:

Tell them that they should only list the sororities that they would accept a bid to membership from.

The more sororities they list, the greater their chances of receiving a bid, but that while the effort will be made to match them with their top choice, they should be prepared to accept a bid from any of the chapters that they list. If they don't receive a bid on Bid Day, they can participate in COR. If they receive a bid on Bid Day and decline, they may not participate in any recruitment activities until the next school year.

So if they can only see themselves as a member of XYZ and would not accept a bid from ABC, don't list ABC.

Best advice during recruitment week that you can give your PNMs: Instead of looking for just one sorority that you LOVE, look for a few that you really, really like. You'll have a lot more options open to you in this process by following that mindset. You can't pledge your heart and soul to ABC when all you have to go by is campus reputation and about 5 minutes of random conversations and a 10 minute skit. But you can begin to get a warm feeling toward a few sororities where you've enjoyed spending time with the members. Capeesh?

Last edited by adpiucf; 09-28-2006 at 05:02 PM.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

thanks

thank you so much for you help! i will definately keep those tips in mind!
Old 09-28-2006, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck! Don't keep them in the dark-- but don't over explain, either-- it's all new and very confusing! Tell them what a sorority is, some of the fun activities sororities hold, to keep an open mind to the possibility of fitting in at more than one sorority, and a list of the sororities on campus (and maybe websites). Point out that like college applications, this process is a mutual selection and both PNMs and the chapters are going to start with a lot of options and slowly (mutually) whittle their way down to a few.

All they really need to know on Day 1 is what to wear, when to show up, and an idea of some of the questions they'll be asked. Tell them there may be singing and cheering when the doors to a house open, and that they will be paired with a sorority member the entire time they're at an event so they don't feel like you're just dropping them off in the middle of nowhere.

When you go to do ranking for the first time, explain it then-- just let them enjoy the process of getting to know new friends and having a good time without cluttering it with terms like SIP, COR, etc.

Being a recruitment counselor is a fun and very important job! Have a great time and remember-- baby steps. This is a whole new world for your PNMs!
Old 09-29-2006, 12:15 AM

Feel free to pop into the Tri Sigma forum and introduce yourself!

Lakers Nation.