GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,237
3 members and 1,234 guests
g41965, Xidelt

Old 04-03-2001, 04:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Post Question About Rush

Hi! My school only has rush in January. I am currently a freshman and I rushed in January, and I didn't get into the house that I really wanted. I completely went through rush, but did not accept any bids. I was cut by a few houses. I am going to rush next January, and I'm assuming I may be asked if I've rushed before. How should I respond? I don't want to make it obvious that they didn't pick me last year for whatever reason. I basically need to find a response that draws little attention to the fact that I was cut, yet I am very interested in their sorority. (Oh, by the way, the reason why I was cut from some of those houses was for academic reasons. But there was a mistake in my GPA that has now been corrected, and I now make the GPA requirements for all of the houses). Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 04-03-2001, 08:09 AM

Angel -

Just be honest! If someone asks you if you went through rush before tell them yes. If they ask why you didn't get a bid, just say "student affairs (or whoever) screwed up my grades and it looked like I wasn't eligible but I was." This is a REALLY good reason, actually - it's nothing you did.

You might want to see if any of the sororities offer continuous open bidding in the fall.
Old 04-03-2001, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

im really suprised that you only have rush once a year...i would definitely tell them the truth about the grades....if you got invited to thier house the year before, im sure they would be glad to see you again. COB (continuous open bidding) is also an option....its like rush but less formal...contact the house you want and see if they are doing COB and tell them about your situation!
Old 04-03-2001, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Unfortunately, my school only really has rush once a year. They have open rush in the fall for any house that doesn't make quota. I found out that for the past several years only one particular house has open rush. (I'm not interested in that house). All of the other houses always make quota. Oh well, I can only hope!

Lauren
Old 04-07-2001, 05:08 AM
GreekChat Member

OK, another question; when I rush again next winter, should I make it clear to the houses that I am interested in that I didn't accept bids from other houses because I wanted to be in their house? Or does that sound too pushy and cheesy? Thanks!

Lauren
Old 04-07-2001, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey angel.
well congrats on going through your first rush. Although you didn't get what you wanted , definetly go out next yr, an be honest , let them know you are rushing for their house , but don't be pushy. Also I agree with 33, it not your student affairs made a blunder in your GPA outlook, so that too is also a good reason to explain. Well I wish you luck and hope you get what you want. Does your school have informal rush in the fall? Cause that migh tbe a thing to check into, since you won't be a freshman , at my school freshman can only go through formal rush, until they move up in school .
Wishing u the best
Old 04-07-2001, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Angel541982:
OK, another question; when I rush again next winter, should I make it clear to the houses that I am interested in that I didn't accept bids from other houses because I wanted to be in their house? Or does that sound too pushy and cheesy? Thanks!

Lauren
You can tell them you are very interested in them but don't EVER EVER EVER mention another sorority during rush, in ANY connotation. It puts the sorority sisters in a very awkward situation because discussing other groups is something they can be disciplined for (especially if Rho Chi's monitor the parties).