GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,390
2 members and 2,388 guests
aidancahvsoz240, PrettyBoy

Old 06-29-2001, 06:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Amy do you attend UNC- Colorado? BEcause the guys here also sit in their lawn on couches and check out the rushees. Why is it that guys always want the freshman?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-29-2001, 06:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
Nope. I'm an alum from USC.
Old 06-29-2001, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Look over your shoulder, I could be right behind ya!
I find that the chapters that have to use the opposite gender to bolster and promote their membership have the weakest sister/brotherhoods. How shameful and completely against your organizations ideals and values!! If you cannot gain members on your chapter's merits alone, you are out of touch of what it means to be a true Sister or Brother of your organization. Think about that the next time you tell a PNM about the HOT guys she'll meet or all the honeys that come to your house...Get a life!
Old 06-30-2001, 12:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally posted by amycat412:
Sadly, the fraternities at my school are known for dragging couches onto their front lawn and holding up #'s as the rushees go by like--

Hey you in the pink -- rushee looks over-- fraternity guys hold up a card with the #6 on it.

Very degrading and humiliating to women who are already nervous. For sophomore rushees tho-who already know the guys doing this, it can be mood lightening since they'll call you out of the crowd and wish you luck and all that, too.
That happens here at LSU as well. One house actually had a sound system with Marvyn Gaye's "Let's Get It On" blaring in the background as they watched us walk down the row
Old 06-30-2001, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to erniegurl00 Send a message via Yahoo to erniegurl00
My university has deferred rush as well. I like the idea of it because that way new freshmen can become adjusted to college life, but it hurts the greek system. Rumors are always flying around on campus. I know before I went into formal rush I had the wrong impression about almost all of the sororities! I know that some of the fraternity guys can have some influence on this, but it's probably not the only part of the problem. I'll even give an example. Every year we have a thing called Freshmen Skits. This is where all of the new pledge classes go up in front of the actives of the campus and put on a skit. Well a certain fraternity openly bashed a sorority (and yes, right in front of them!) They dressed up in their letters and mocked them. What kind of example is this? I know girls overhear brothers talking back and forth, either in class or in parties. I mean, I was the same way! Sigh...it's horrible. I just hope that girls who go through rush remember to keep an open mind about it.
Old 07-01-2001, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

hey at penn state sorority rush is definitely influenced a lot by the fraternities. sorority rush is formal, fraternity rush is informal and they both take place during the same time. well, since the sorority rushees can't talk to the girls at parties outside of rush a lot of the times the rushees will ask a fraternity guy what their perspective is on certain sorority reputations. Most of the time a fraternity guy's perspective favors the more well known sororities on campus. i admit i tell girls where i think they belong and fit in with and usually they end up in that sorority.
Old 07-02-2001, 07:59 PM

Lightbulb

This reply is from my own experiences, that are still ongoing ones. I have hung out and partied with various fraternity men for the past couple months and I still am as of this moment. When I have one-on-one talks with these guys, they ask me if I'm going to rush next semester, and if so, is there any sororities I had in mind. I always say I'm not sure though, either staying independant or which sorority. Each guy has had their own opinion on this subject. Some guys URGE me to stay independent, for their own reasons of course. Then there are the guys who tell me that ABC sorority is the coolest because they like to party, or XYZ because their the sweetest. They also say things like don't join ______, because their snobby and such...and if you do I won't talk to you anymore. I feel somewhat pressured at this point, also by some sorority girls, on what I should do.
Yet there are some guys telling me to go for the one I feel most comfortable with and of course I agree. Greek men do make some influence on sorority rush depeneding on what they say that came from their OWN experiences with these sorority girls.

*FYI* I'm still unsure what I will do yet, since rush is still awhile away....
Old 07-08-2001, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Well I went through formal recruiment 3 years ago and the Fraternity men were of course all on their lawns, rating us, catcalling and all that.. but to tell you the truth it doesn't hurt our recruitment, it just gives the rushees something to talk about with the rushers and it also is an introduction to the Fraternity scene.. most girls stick around.. if they don't it is because of costs or time restraints.
Old 07-08-2001, 09:50 PM
GreekChat Member

i think it depends. I know they fraternities have influence on the girls that hang out at the house. It's great for my sorority because we are soo small, but we have a fraternity helping us recruit girls. I hang out with ABD fraternity and they have a bunch of GDI that hang out with them that want to go greek but unsure of which sorority cause they dont' like a lot of the sorority girls that come by the house. soo the guys bring up my sorority and say how great we are and then introduce the girls to me if we have to met yet. we have 7 girls interested in rushing us. My sorority is very small and we need all the help we can get! the guys are our best recruiters!!
Old 07-10-2001, 01:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by amycat412:
Sadly, the fraternities at my school are known for dragging couches onto their front lawn and holding up #'s as the rushees go by like--

Hey you in the pink -- rushee looks over-- fraternity guys hold up a card with the #6 on it.

Very degrading and humiliating to women who are already nervous. For sophomore rushees tho-who already know the guys doing this, it can be mood lightening since they'll call you out of the crowd and wish you luck and all that, too.
That's awful! When I'm rushing I know that I'll already be worried about the sorority girls critiquing me, who wants to have to worry about the guys on top of that???

Old 07-10-2001, 01:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Fraternities don't affect Freshman that go through Formal rush Fall quarter, but when we had deferred rush last year, ther fraternities did affect some of the houses. I remembered when I went through rush as Sophomore, I was hearing things about all the houses, and even about the house I was eventually to join. I went with my heart and chose what was best for me, but if I had listed, I woul have ended up in the brainless, stuck up beautiful sorority, because I physically fit their type...I went against that, and chose to join a tur sisterhood. Unfortunately, Freshman don't often times have that ability to block out Fraternity boys who like to lead them astray. Even my own boyfriend at the time, a Lambda Chi was shocked I chose the house I did, because Theta is a great house, but now 'kickass' like AChiO or Gamma Phi...Fraternities can hurt, and they can help, just depends on the house. We do the same to them, when guys ask us of our opinions of different houses, but we are also very visable at their rushes, so I think it all evens out.