GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,216
0 members and 1,216 guests
No Members online

Old 01-18-2010, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorority family or line names

:]

Last edited by sig delt girl; 05-07-2010 at 08:36 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Why do you need to branch off? Do you have a Big?
Old 01-18-2010, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

You should probably keep it in line with the rest of your chapter- e.g. if they all use animals, use an animal name. If it were me I'd want to pay some respect to the split line and make it something related to the original line. Related, but separate. Might be hard for people to give you any further suggestions without knowing how your chapter currently names them.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I still don't understand this. This make it seem like your current family isn't good enough for you. Do you have like a ridculous amount of littles or something?
Old 01-18-2010, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm personally a little confused/questioning about the desire to branch off. That being said, a family name should come from something that has a special meaning to the girls involved, or even an inside joke. Some ideas off the top of my head are:

1) Favorite catchphrase
(A dear Phi Mu friend would end any affirmative statement with "You know it!")

2) Movie, book, or TV show that you all love or feel like the characters represent you
("Golden Girls", "Sex and the City", "Seinfeld", whatever.)

3) Something that reminds you of some hilarious incident

4) Song or song lyrics

Good luck to you and your sisters.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:18 PM

This isn't the Mafia where you get your own family after you whack enough people & have enough territory. Leaving your old family and creating a completely new one - even if your big has left school/graduated - is an incredibly disrespectful idea and bound to create TONS of hurt feelings. If you want to change up some of the traditions (like song or name) do that, but you don't need to disassociate yourself from your family line.

***SMH***
Old 01-18-2010, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^^ I pretty much agree with this.

In my APO chapter (which has family trees) we do have a tree which is pretty much humongous. It didn't "break" into two trees, but more like became two branches with different traditions.

My own family tree has three active branches. We have our tree traditions and then our branch traditions, which often are nothing more than similar themed nicknames. (On my branch, we all have military related names)
Old 01-18-2010, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OHNOITSJESS
I'm on the alpha class, and the rest of the alpha class founders chose names that mean something to them, or are science and engineering related, one is just random
IE: My family line is the Hepburns' because i love Audrey and Katherine, while we also have one thats the Swoosh, based off the Nike sign
Old 01-18-2010, 08:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
This isn't the Mafia where you get your own family after you whack enough people & have enough territory.
I almost spit out my soda when I saw this.

I agree with your post. I don't understand why someone would want to split off.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

h

Last edited by stargirl007; 12-22-2010 at 11:38 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
This isn't the Mafia where you get your own family after you whack enough people & have enough territory. Leaving your old family and creating a completely new one - even if your big has left school/graduated - is an incredibly disrespectful idea and bound to create TONS of hurt feelings. If you want to change up some of the traditions (like song or name) do that, but you don't need to disassociate yourself from your family line.

***SMH***
There are different reasons as to why she would want to branch off whether it's because her family is the largest in the house or the fact that maybe she and her big don't get along (yes, it DOES happen, I've seen it!).
Old 01-19-2010, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jf_eighty9 View Post
There are different reasons as to why she would want to branch off whether it's because her family is the largest in the house or the fact that maybe she and her big don't get along (yes, it DOES happen, I've seen it!).
If her family is the largest and she or her big has multiple littles, eventually the family will look like a tree with branches. Most trees don't grow straight up. Like Sen said, different branches turn into their own little mini-families, while still keeping the line intact.

Also, "I don't get along with my big" is NOT an acceptable reason to end a whole family line. Not everyone is going to be BFFs with their big or little - it happens - but there's nothing that says the only people you're allowed to hang out with is your family. If there IS, then that's a chapter problem and it isn't going to be solved by letting people make "new families" whenever the mood strikes them.

Plus the OP didn't even say that they didn't get along, just that her big would be gone and she thought "it would be fun." Again, SMH.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

It just sounds like OP wants to start her own clique within the chapter with matching shirts/etc.--not good.

In my sorority, the individual "big/lil" relationship is where the emphasis is placed (not on the "family tree"). This may be because some "family trees" run across several chapters, depending on the case (mine does). In any case, we would not break from the tradition of choosing your "own" group of sorority members to create a "family."
Old 01-19-2010, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

I personally do not see what the bid deal is. Unless the "Family Tree" is a part of your Inter/national tradition, it's open to change. All of this stuff is made up on the fly and can be adapted to suit the needs of the chapter and its members. It sounds like everyone in her chapter basically fits into one of four "families" and she wants a smaller family unit. In chapters that have just one little sis per member, you would have lots of small families. I can't imagine how a chapter would all be in one of four. Probably the best way to go about this would be to get other sisters to latch onto the idea of making mini-families within each family so there won't be any hurt feelings.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 01-19-2010, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinaAlumna View Post
It just sounds like OP wants to start her own clique within the chapter with matching shirts/etc.--not good.

In my sorority, the individual "big/lil" relationship is where the emphasis is placed (not on the "family tree"). This may be because some "family trees" run across several chapters, depending on the case (mine does). In any case, we would not break from the tradition of choosing your "own" group of sorority members to create a "family."
sounds like a random sub-strain of founderitis.

i actually dont understand how family trees work, im just concerned with my spec/"big" (i havent spec-ed anyone so no littles over here).