GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,137
0 members and 2,137 guests
No Members online

Old 08-09-2005, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Guess that's why West Ga isn't in the SEC...we can't give water!
Old 08-09-2005, 08:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Seeing those pics makes me so happy I didn't rush there...that is dressy for the frist round!

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 08-09-2005, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Those pictures make me miss being there so much
Old 08-09-2005, 11:03 PM
GreekChat Member

All I can say about the pictures is...wow...so not like recruiment at my school. It's probably tiring for everyone involved.

On the Auburn Panhellenic site it says that recommendations are not required...how true is that really? If I had shown up in the south and gone to Auburn without recommendations, would it have been possible to join a chapter there?...and if you can't give me the truth and not the politically correct response...just PM me. I'm honestly curious.

Last edited by AOII_LB93; 08-09-2005 at 11:07 PM.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

Sure is, yet you run on this artificial high all week. I remember painting backdrops and practicing dances at 2 in the morning and not being tired for most of the week. When it tended to kick in was during the final membership selection. By then we'd been living on a couple of hours of sleep a night and gone through the roller coasters of getting invite lists back--"Is she coming back? Oh boy, she is and so are her suitemates! Oh no, guess who's not?"

So people would be in tears of total physical and emotional exhaustion by the end of the week...I think this is why we loved Bid Day at Auburn, Arkansas, and Mississippi State. The end of all the drama!
Old 08-10-2005, 09:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Agree with Carnation. I know even as the Chapter Adviser I've been on a roller coaster of emotions with the members making sure everything runs smoothly. However, it is totally worth it because on Bid Day when you have your new members running down the hill to your house it is wonderful (not all run down a hill at Ole Miss but to the AOII house you do). I take off from work so I can get some good sleep and be alert and focused during recruitment
Old 08-10-2005, 09:20 AM
GreekChat Member

I am also a recruitment advisor, and I do admit its rediculously tiring! It is often hard to separate myself from the girls sometimes, and realize I have to let them do the work and that I'm just there to guide and teach. Ever feel this way? Our rush is not as cut throat, but competitive to say the least. Girls are girls, and a lot of petty stuff goes on at every chapter. That in itself is just exhausting!
Old 08-10-2005, 09:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Becky Darling, you make me miss Auburn more this week that I have since I graduated. I hope you're still having fun. Drink lots of that hot tea that the moms make and a few frozen grapes for me.

Xi love,
Tina

War Eagle
Old 08-10-2005, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree too, while physically exhausting and emotionally draining, Recruitment is a blast even for me, an Advisor who didn't go to Bama. This is one of the few times on the year that I have time to just hang out with the actives and get to know them. The worst part though is having to break an actives heart by telling them that their favorite PNM will not be invited back for reasons I/she/we can't control. I hate that.

Every year for the past 10 I've been doing this I end up getting sick as a dog the week afterwards from lack of sleep and stress. Typically I'm at the house until after midnight, then head home. I need to be up at 5:30am to start getting my kids ready for school. Once they're off I try to grab a quick nap if possible, but usually I head to the house to make sure everything is set up for the next round. I leave in time to get the kids home from school and have them all ready for Hubby to take over once he gets off work or the sitter if I was able to get one. (Fortunately this year I have.) Then it's back to the house again.

This year is the 2nd year for my semi-new Recruitment Advisor. In my experience it takes at least 3 years to really have a grasp of everything and overcome the learning curve of Panhellenic rules, ADPi policies/procedures and everything else involved in Recruitment. She's been able to take on alot of stuff this year which has been great, but next year should be fabulous (for me). Even then though, I'll still probably still be there the same amount of time. I just can't stay away.

* Update on Bama - 1069 PNMs registered and Recruitment starts in 6 days. Not sure if we'll hit 1200 like I had predicted, but we're already almost 100 more than last year. *
Old 08-10-2005, 10:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Are sororities founded in the south (i.e ADPi and Phi Mu) considered more prestigious at SEC schools, or does it not really matter?
Old 08-10-2005, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

I think it depends on the university. I know that not all 9 NPC groups at Ole Miss (Chi Omega, AOII, Tri Delta, Phi Mu, Kappa Delta, Kappa Kappa Gamma, Kappa Alpha Theta, Pi Beta Phi, & Delta Gamma) are "southern" sororities (meaning they were founded in the South. I think there is a thread on here somewhere about that.

I think Phi Mu and ADPi might have more chapters at some of the more southern universities and colleges. However, ADPi left Ole Miss in like 1995. Tri Delta is HUGE in Mississippi at all of the schools and they were started at Boston University in 1888. AOII has chapters at ALL SEC schools except Miss State, LSU, Arkansas (Coming 2006!), & South Carolina---So I think it depends on the chapter itself and the school!

Edited to add Kappa

Last edited by OleMissGlitter; 08-10-2005 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow! I am in awe at the Auburn recruitment page/photos. I never would have survived recruitment at a Southern school. And the theme (if the shoe fits) is super cute!

Thanks for adding us OleMiss!
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.

Last edited by ISUKappa; 08-10-2005 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:07 AM
GreekChat Member

The reason i ask is because Alpha Phi (my glo) has not one chapter in the South but is big everywhere else (for example, 22 chapters in Cali!). I think internationals are just being careful about moving into an area where tradition is so important.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh yes, I understand. I know I have seen more legacies going through here at Ole Miss (Alpha Phi legacies that is), they are usually from Texas schools.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:15 AM
GreekChat Member

I would love to see Aphi venture into the South... one day! Everything takes time. Instead of expanding southward, we expanded westward. Its funny though, when I talk to family in MS and AL, a lot of them don't really know what Alpha Phi is, or have never heard of it, I have to explain that we are not local. I think as Cardiac awareness becomes apparently more needed, this will help our expansion efforts since our philanthropy is cardiac care for women. We just updated our foundations website, you should check it out. http://www.alphaphi.org/foundation/