GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,076
1 members and 1,075 guests
Sarak24034

Old 01-27-2019, 07:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post

I believe that my questions as stated was basically were equivalent to "At what schools does a woman who formally participants in recruitment have less than a fifty percent chance of getting a bid?"
To answer this one would have to accumulate the recruitment data from all schools which do recruitment (am assuming you mean NPC recruitment but I digress) and just look at the numbers: # registered for recruitment vs # bids extended.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
To answer this one would have to accumulate the recruitment data from all schools which do recruitment (am assuming you mean NPC recruitment but I digress) and just look at the numbers: # registered for recruitment vs # bids extended.
That would still show women who drop out as not receiving bids, even though they may have gotten a bid if they had stayed in. Does that make sense?
Old 01-27-2019, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerriMarie View Post
That would still show women who drop out as not receiving bids, even though they may have gotten a bid if they had stayed in. Does that make sense?
then adjust for that.....the bottom line is that we don't know and can't find out.
Old 06-08-2019, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Back in the dark ages before computers when I was and active in the sorority that had the highest active and pledge GPA on campus - I was surprised to learn that more than half of the girls going through rush did not meet our academic standards. They could not be pledged.

And there was another sorority on campus that had similar standards. So half of the girls were not eligible for 2 of the 6 sororities on campus.

Our minimum GPA fluctuated each rush - but it was brutal. The year I pledged was the last year they had SR - or "scholarship risk" spots. Where you were allowed to take a few girls one or two 1/10 of a point below (2.5 if the threshold was 2.7) the GPA threshold. They stopped the practice because too much focus was debating which few girls will get those spots - while attention was not on academically strong "top rushees." Also at least half of the SR for the last two pledge classes where SRs were present - failed to make their grades and were immediately on academic probation. Sad for individual girls who were close to our GPA cutoff - but simpler and arguably better for the chapter in the long run.

Because we had such a HUGE academic cut - we had to space it out over two invitational rounds.(But the majority was the first round) Otherwise our first round of invitational parties had the potential to look like a ghost town.

My sophomore year - I had a room-mate going through rush that did not have our grades. She knew that she probably wasn't even close. It sucked because she would have been an awesome addition. I made the decision that they cut her after the first round - she had a great reference so she would have been carried to the second round as a "courtesy" to the alum that wrote the reference. But I knew she wanted to be cut if she was not at are threshold.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBayou View Post
Back in the dark ages before computers when I was and active in the sorority that had the highest active and pledge GPA on campus - I was surprised to learn that more than half of the girls going through rush did not meet our academic standards. They could not be pledged.

And there was another sorority on campus that had similar standards. So half of the girls were not eligible for 2 of the 6 sororities on campus.

Our minimum GPA fluctuated each rush - but it was brutal. The year I pledged was the last year they had SR - or "scholarship risk" spots. Where you were allowed to take a few girls one or two 1/10 of a point below (2.5 if the threshold was 2.7) the GPA threshold. They stopped the practice because too much focus was debating which few girls will get those spots - while attention was not on academically strong "top rushees." Also at least half of the SR for the last two pledge classes where SRs were present - failed to make their grades and were immediately on academic probation. Sad for individual girls who were close to our GPA cutoff - but simpler and arguably better for the chapter in the long run.

Because we had such a HUGE academic cut - we had to space it out over two invitational rounds.(But the majority was the first round) Otherwise our first round of invitational parties had the potential to look like a ghost town.

My sophomore year - I had a room-mate going through rush that did not have our grades. She knew that she probably wasn't even close. It sucked because she would have been an awesome addition. I made the decision that they cut her after the first round - she had a great reference so she would have been carried to the second round as a "courtesy" to the alum that wrote the reference. But I knew she wanted to be cut if she was not at are threshold.
We had 5 sororities on my campus and we had a higher GPA requirement than the other GLOs. It wasn't a negotiable thing. We had to cut a lot of girls who would have been great members, but didn't have the grades and would have left us as an academic risk.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

How do I find these people?! Now someone on the sorority subreddit is claiming that their school cuts 3/4 of women on the first day of Recruitment!

That's not how Recruitment works! Sororities need members! Members pay dues!

Last edited by KerriMarie; 08-06-2019 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

I bet they're talking about release figures--how the strongest groups have to cut the huge majority of PNMs right off.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I bet they're talking about release figures--how the strongest groups have to cut the huge majority of PNMs right off.
You would think that, right? I even asked if her school published recruitment statistics because I'm trying to figure out how this is even possible.

She says "Considering 3/4 of the girls that rush at my school are cut after day one...it’s actually not that strange. Again, very strange rush process with predetermined lists. I have had this confirmed after extensively researching online articles (one from a sorority girl who quit and was disgusted with the process) and my current friends in sororities."

3/4 of the girls who rush are cut by every house the FIRST DAY!?!?!
Old 08-06-2019, 01:55 PM
Banned

Reading back on the thread these PNM’s sound familiar, I wonder if the PNM the thread was started for has returned and upped her %? I just cannot believe there is any school that would cut 75% on the first day!

ETA: Also “I have had this confirmed after extensively researching online articles” - gossip is not confirmation last I checked. No article or even “one sorority girl who quit and was disgusted with the process” knows the selection process for EVERY org on campus, they’re secret! That’s kind of the whole point!

Last edited by GoldenAnchor; 08-06-2019 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAnchor View Post
Reading back on the thread these PNM’s sound familiar, I wonder if the PNM the thread was started for has returned and upped her %? I just cannot believe there is any school that would cut 75% on the first day!
Also, if 75% of women get cut after the first day, how can you be upset when you get cut? You're in great company!

Edit: I wonder if she means "I got cut from all the GOOD sororities" or "everyone gets cut from the ones that count" and there's just a really bad campus culture about tiers?

And yes, I also LOLed about her extensive online research that helps her know about sister selection. I wish she would just name the school so I can do my own research!

Last edited by KerriMarie; 08-06-2019 at 02:21 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 07:03 PM

Unless she is at a school with all locals, which I doubt because she mentioned recs, it definitely can’t be true. I feel like she had friends that told her that lie to make her feel better.