GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,854
2 members and 1,852 guests
oncegreek, TLLK
View Poll Results: Does your chapter haze?
Yes. 324 24.77%
No. 868 66.36%
Not sure. 116 8.87%
Voters: 1308. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-06-2006, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RU OX Alum View Post
no, it doesn't...it doesn't matter at all if the allegeagtions are true, from a public image stand point, because the damage is done.
I disagree completely. Most people are idiots but they are idiots with short attention spans.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-06-2006, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to UnoriginalErin
Delta Nu Psi was created after our founder had a horrible experience at a fraternity's rush. He still won't tell anyone what happened.

Because of this, Delta was formed as staunchly anti-hazing.

Sure, we have our pledges greet current brothers and sisters, but that's more their chance to embaress us by yelling to us across the DC or in classes. We take them on hikes, give them activities to do, make them work-out to "Sweatin' To The Oldies" during Hell Week, but at least 4 brothers and sisters (as well as their pledge-masters) take part as well.

We make sure they have 2 library hours each day, aren't forced to stay up past 1 AM, never force them to drink (Hell, they're not even allowed to drink during the process until they get bigs), and do not allow them to skip classes.

Hell, the only time I was paddled during my pledge-process, it was entirely consentual. And it was great
Old 11-06-2006, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnoriginalErin View Post
We make them work-out to "Sweatin' To The Oldies" during Hell Week.
Not hazing at all.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to UnoriginalErin
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLPDaisy View Post
Not hazing at all.
Delta cares about the health of our brothers and sisters.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
It is in fact you. Your later comment sort of clarified things but that's why I asked you the question in the first place.

How discreet is it to say "wink wink wink" ? See the other posts that replied to you. It's cool that you have a pledging "process" and only you can determine if that is hazing. But I maintain that it makes you look bad.

As another example of a bad reputation: Pikes at Howard. People were opposed due to a racist image (among other things) and yes, it's easy to say that Pikes aren't like that, but the image was still there and deeply ingrained in some people. I don't think less of Iota, but I think it presents a negative image.
Ok, let me get some clarification from you. Define Hazing. What perception do you have of Iota's? What makes me look bad, be specific (winking and noding or my comments on other issues0. I stand by what I beileve in and will not change my thoughts on anything unless I am wrong. Im not one to sit around and not admitt when I am wrong. So, let me know what is the real issue is?
Old 11-06-2006, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

You are barking up the wrong tree. Most people view hazing as entirely negative....and something that is always dangerous, life threatening, etc. etc. Furthermore......a good majority of the people that comment on hazing are all women...who have little to no clue about anything Fraternity.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Ok, let me get some clarification from you. Define Hazing. What perception do you have of Iota's? What makes me look bad, be specific (winking and noding or my comments on other issues0. I stand by what I beileve in and will not change my thoughts on anything unless I am wrong. Im not one to sit around and not admitt when I am wrong. So, let me know what is the real issue is?
I suggest you read the other responses to your post as well as the whole thread. I don't have any real perception of Iota and I'm not against non-harmful "hazing" (though it is still illegal)
Old 11-06-2006, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macallan25 View Post
You are barking up the wrong tree. Most people view hazing as entirely negative....and something that is always dangerous, life threatening, etc. etc. Furthermore......a good majority of the people that comment on hazing are all women...who have little to no clue about anything Fraternity.
On GreekChat.com? Correct.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
ok, now I didn't make any sexist comments leave me out of that one.

If you're suggesting that I am barking up the wrong tree, talk to the person that asked the question. I stand by what I said at first those who went througn an Intake process know what I mean. You have no need to ask about hazing because there is none. You read about hazing the paper, and last time I checked Iota Phi Theta Fraternity Inc. has NEVER been in a law suit for hazing look it up. So let me let the entire GC know now, 43 yrs going strong and will not let any idiots screw that up.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwtLawz4lIfe View Post

If you're suggesting that I am barking up the wrong tree, talk to the person that asked the question. I stand by what I said at first those who went througn an Intake process know what I mean. You have no need to ask about hazing because there is none. You read about hazing the paper, and last time I checked Iota Phi Theta Fraternity Inc. has NEVER been in a law suit for hazing look it up. So let me let the entire GC know now, 43 yrs going strong and will not let any idiots screw that up.
A lot of men on GreekChat think that sorority women have their heads up their asses and don't know much about anything besides dancing for fraternity boys and baking cookies while taking shots. That's based on the sorority women they think they know.

There actually can be forms of hazing during a membership intake process. It happens all over the country but is brushed off because it doesn't occur within the context of an illegal pledge process.

Iota has never been in a law suit but that doesn't translate to hazing not being an issue for Iota at a national level. It is just the smallest and youngest NPHC organization. A lot of things get settled in-house and with little publicity when you're small and centralized. It would appear that all are doing something right for now--until loose lips sink ships and Iotas go around bragging about how they have been hazing for 43 years without a lawsuit. Also there are fewer men pursuing and become Iotas--good thing. So there's a quality assurance process that exists for you all that ended for much larger organizations years ago. But I give Iota about 5-10 more years before carelessness in the midst of a zero tolerance culture gets a hold of it, as well.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I think you misunderstood me. I was actually trying to give you some advice. I am from a very strong, well known, well established chapter in the South......and I absolutely condone hazing, so long as it isn't dangerous, etc. Every strong chapter I know of hazes. That may not be true for the North, West, etc........but it certainly is for Southern fraternities.

Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying....I dunno. I'm confused now.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
On GreekChat.com? Correct.

I think you are about the only one that understands where I am coming from.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I think you are about the only one that understands where I am coming from.
Brother, I have learned to understand where you are coming from .

There are several other threads here in RM that people, with an interest in what POV's and thoughts on hazing are here in GC, should read up on.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
A lot of men on GreekChat think that sorority women have their heads up their asses and don't know much about anything besides dancing for fraternity boys and baking cookies while taking shots. That's based on the sorority women they think they know.

There actually can be forms of hazing during a membership intake process. It happens all over the country but is brushed off because it doesn't occur within the context of an illegal pledge process.

Iota has never been in a law suit but that doesn't translate to hazing not being an issue for Iota at a national level. It is just the smallest and youngest NPHC organization. A lot of things get settled in-house and with little publicity when you're small and centralized. It would appear that all are doing something right for now--until loose lips sink ships and Iotas go around bragging about how they have been hazing for 43 years without a lawsuit. Also there are fewer men pursuing and become Iotas--good thing. So there's a quality assurance process that exists for you all that ended for much larger organizations years ago. But I give Iota about 5-10 more years before carelessness in the midst of a zero tolerance culture gets a hold of it, as well.
Ok, did not know thatz how men on GC felt about sorrorities. Thatz foul! Well, we all feel that zero tolerance has and will weaken the intake process this is true. But, I think that size of your organization does not matter. I can only speak on the history of the NPHC. Those orgs came around years before Iota Phi Theta fraternity founders were born. That was a time were pledging above ground took place. A time where you went class locked up marching across campus with your line brothers or sisters. Also a time when you could haze in public, dorms, dinning halls, the yard, and anywhere they felt like it at that time. Yes, this no longer happens. But, other that have replied are correct it's many different forms of hazing. My understanding on of hazing is ANYTHING that you do AGAINST YOUR WILL AND OR WITHOUT YOUR EXPRESSED CONSENT. So if you choose to participate in anything that is a form of hazing it was at you own will, and you are not forced to do it. Knock on wood****, and I am not bragging about Iota Phi Theta Fraternity Inc not being in court for hazing we just simply adapted to the changes. With time comes change weather your organization chooses to comply is another story.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
But, I think that size of your organization does not matter.

we just simply adapted to the changes. With time comes change weather your organization chooses to comply is another story.

It actually does matter for the reasons I stated. When things were above ground there was less social control so size didn't matter so much. But when pledging became illegal it became difficult to enforce the new policies. This is especially the case for organizations with hundreds of chapters and hundreds of thousands of members to regulate.

So you all have made sure that every chapter of Iota only does the mandated intake process? No exceptions? I commend you all.