GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek History

Greek History Fraternity and Sorority historical discussions. Chat about all topics related to Greek history here.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,680
0 members and 1,680 guests
No Members online

Old 08-03-2020, 04:02 AM
Super Moderator

Junior/Community College Chapters

So, I'm digging into some history at City College of San Francisco and while I had known there were greek orgs, I didn't know some were chapters of national orgs such as APhiO, 1951~ Iota Pi chapter and GSS, 1958 ~Phi chapter.

I guess I was just curious why national orgs decided to close/disband chapters at community/junior colleges (nationwide) or what the driving force/reasons were.

In California, AGS, is still active but it's a state-wide honor society for JC's.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:10 AM
GreekChat Member

NPC groups will only charter on 4 year campuses. They do have a task for currently looking at junior colleges (2 yr). I don't know when they are to make their report.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:13 AM
GreekChat Member

I recently discovered that Phi Beta Sigma had had a chaper at a community college in the DC area in the 70s.

As far as APO goes, I *think* we are allowed to have JC/CC chapters, but just happen not to right now.
Old 08-03-2020, 11:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Interesting! I don’t remember if we (GSS) have any policy against CCs, specifically.

I bet Randy knows more about this...
Old 08-03-2020, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
As far as APO goes, I *think* we are allowed to have JC/CC chapters, but just happen not to right now.
There is an active APO chapter (Alpha Zeta Omega) at Parkland College in Champaign, IL. It was chartered in 2011.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *winter* View Post
Interesting! I don’t remember if we (GSS) have any policy against CCs, specifically.

Why would anyone think that I might know something about this...

As of the count (made a spreadsheet) that I did last year, Alpha Phi Omega has chartered 61 of its just under 800 chapters at schools that *at the time of chartering* did not offer a four year bachelor degree. There are a few oddballs like schools of Osteopathic Medicine which focused on D.O. degrees (which are normally three year like M.D. degrees) and a few which went from 2 year to 4 year between the time that Alpha Phi Omega first chartered and today (Snow College (UT) and Miami Dade College).

As was pointed out Parkland College (which serves as a local feeder to University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign) has an active chapter, Georgia Military College also has an active chapter.

Well more than half of the chapters were chartered between 1966 and 1972 when apparently it was an active effort of the fraternity to spread to two year schools as well.

If you would like the complete list of schools, let me know and I am willing to send, or just let me know if you want to join the Alpha Phi Omega History Nuts facebook group where I uploaded it to after discussion.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPoodle View Post
So, I'm digging into some history at City College of San Francisco and while I had known there were greek orgs, I didn't know some were chapters of national orgs such as APhiO, 1951~ Iota Pi chapter and GSS, 1958 ~Phi chapter.

I guess I was just curious why national orgs decided to close/disband chapters at community/junior colleges (nationwide) or what the driving force/reasons were.

In California, AGS, is still active but it's a state-wide honor society for JC's.
The chapter of Alpha Phi Omega at CCSF was active from February 25, 1951 through 1968
Old 08-03-2020, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *winter* View Post

Specifically about Gamma Sigma Sigma. One of the seven founding chapters was from Los Angeles City College. I don't know if LACC and CCSF were the only chapters at 2 year schools.

(Finding an up to date list of the charters of GSS including inactives isn't something that I've been able to do.)
Old 08-03-2020, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Havana View Post
There is an active APO chapter (Alpha Zeta Omega) at Parkland College in Champaign, IL. It was chartered in 2011.
I honestly didn't know Parkland wasn't a four year school until this year.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
NPC groups will only charter on 4 year campuses. They do have a task for currently looking at junior colleges (2 yr). I don't know when they are to make their report.
This fascinates me. With the trends in online and transfer of students, it is something that needs to be looked at to stay viable. 2 year, junior, technical, etc. should all be looked at.

Some of the biggest schools in states are 2-year or technical college-based.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlanderson View Post
This fascinates me. With the trends in online and transfer of students, it is something that needs to be looked at to stay viable. 2 year, junior, technical, etc. should all be looked at.

Some of the biggest schools in states are 2-year or technical college-based.

We've had this discussion recently. You can review some of the viewpoints here: http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=247073

True and Constant
Old 08-04-2020, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
The chapter of Alpha Phi Omega at CCSF was active from February 25, 1951 through 1968
Thank you!
Old 08-04-2020, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

Just as an aside, I found this thread http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=115251