GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,444
0 members and 1,444 guests
No Members online

Old 09-13-2014, 03:57 AM
GreekChat Member

I would imagine that full name (including middle), date of birth, and school initiated would suffice. It sounds like most of our databases are complete enough for most of us to confirm membership when we need to in a matter of minutes (Miss America contestants in the Miss America thread, for example).

The big concern I see is the inclusion of resigned and terminated members - that might require a separate database for NPC or HQ officials.

I think the simplest solution would just be for each NPC to designate one HQ staff member of each of the other NPCs access to their member databases for cross-checking.

The second solution would be a running master list housed with the NPC that just includes names of those initiated (and omits any information on current standing, addresses, etc.)
Old 09-13-2014, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAblondeGPhi View Post
I would imagine that full name (including middle), date of birth, and school initiated would suffice. It sounds like most of our databases are complete enough for most of us to confirm membership when we need to in a matter of minutes (Miss America contestants in the Miss America thread, for example).

The big concern I see is the inclusion of resigned and terminated members - that might require a separate database for NPC or HQ officials.

I think the simplest solution would just be for each NPC to designate one HQ staff member of each of the other NPCs access to their member databases for cross-checking.

The second solution would be a running master list housed with the NPC that just includes names of those initiated (and omits any information on current standing, addresses, etc.)
If this master list did exist would it be possible to somehow integrate it into the RFM program and checked before girls are assigned a recruitment counselor group or a similar setup?
Old 09-13-2014, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

A lot of the NPHC orgs publicly list the names of expelled / suspended members and chapters that have had their charter revoked on the international web site.

I know for SGR, Delta and AKA the information is out there on the web.

Before the internet it was all by word of mouth.

I guess for NPC, each org could submit a list of names to be placed on the NPC web site, or, it could be a feature where you could search a name on the NPC website.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners52674 View Post
I met a girl yesterday who had a shirt from XYZ on, so I asked her about it and we're talking and she mentions she's not a member anymore. So I ask why she dropped. She was in another sorority at PrivateU that wasn't at the StateU she transfered to. So not knowing the rules she went through recruitment at StateU, got initiated and was active for over a semester before someone from her old school found out and told XYZ at StateU.

She has since lost her membership in both orgs (rightfully so) .

Maybe I missed this, but are we taking this girl's "not knowing the rules" with a grain of salt? What if she really didn't know? Or should she have known (ie, is this stressed in the process?)
Old 09-13-2014, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

She should have known. It was stressed to us not only during sign up for recruitment, but before initiation. There was one moment before initiation where the President or the VP Membership literally said if you continue into this room you are forever bound to KD and cannot join another NPC sorority. Not sure why we did that or if all KD chapters do, but it was pretty cut and dried for us.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 09-13-2014, 06:11 PM
Banned

With transferring increasingly common and more local chapters refusing to allow transfer affiliation these rules are antiquated and should be changed. I don't see who is hurt by a change in there rules and much harm if they don't.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
One problem with this: A lot of people have the same names. Say Jane Smith #1 is initiated into ABC (an NPC sorority) as a freshman at PrivateU, spends a year there, and then transfers to StateU where there is no chapter of ABC. And say, at the same time, Jane Smith #2 goes to PrivateU, does not go greek, and then transfers after one year to StateU. Jane Smith #2 wants to rush at StateU. Both women are named Jane Smith, they're both sophomores, and they both transferred from the same school. How does Jane Smith #2 prove she's not Jane Smith #1, an initiated ABC who is ineligible to rush and join a different NPC?
Old 09-13-2014, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
Maybe I missed this, but are we taking this girl's "not knowing the rules" with a grain of salt? What if she really didn't know? Or should she have known (ie, is this stressed in the process?)
Ignorance is never an excuse.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 09-13-2014, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCat25 View Post
With transferring increasingly common and more local chapters refusing to allow transfer affiliation these rules are antiquated and should be changed. I don't see who is hurt by a change in there rules and much harm if they don't.
What an interesting opinion. Not that it matters.

Just because you don't personally understand the value of taking an oath and making a commitment, doesn't make it an "antiquated" policy.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:09 PM

I think that maybe the problem is that girls need to open their minds and give a chance to a sister who isn't their clone. I realize there are instances where women must transfer to a school where the Greek system is vastly different in terms of costs or size than what they left,.and they don't want to or are unable $wise to affiliate. That's fine. But if it's a girl who has the grades, money and time and her only crime is that she isn't a beauty - tough beans. They need to let her in. You're part of a national sorority, act like it.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

33girl, I know that no chapter is required to approve a member who transfers. Do you think it is really a widespread, common issue? I don't hear about a chapter voting to deny affiliation very often, but I sure don't hear much outside of my own organization.

Of course, we all know about girls who pledge at weaker chapters with the intent of transfering into extremely strong chapters where they woudl likely NOT receive a bid through rush. That complicates things a lot.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:24 AM

I don't think it's widespread at all, but I'm not the one who brought it up as an excuse to scuttle rules.

As for the women who pledge at a weaker chapter/school solely to get into a stronger chapter, I can't imagine that they're really that well received - no one likes to be used as a springboard to social acceptance - and if they want to spend thousands of dollars to be treated (and rightfully so) as second class citizens in their own sorority, that's no skin off my nose.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
33girl, I know that no chapter is required to approve a member who transfers. Do you think it is really a widespread, common issue? I don't hear about a chapter voting to deny affiliation very often, but I sure don't hear much outside of my own organization.

Of course, we all know about girls who pledge at weaker chapters with the intent of transfering into extremely strong chapters where they woudl likely NOT receive a bid through rush. That complicates things a lot.
If I am understanding you correctly you are saying that no chapters vote on affiliations. Here is what I know. There are some NPC groups who do not vote on affiliations. The rationale: you are an initiated member and should not have to be voted on twice for membership. However, there are other NPC member groups who do require that a chapter vote on an affiliation petition.

Automatic affiliation without voting is not universal among all NPC groups.

As for girls transferring into "extremely strong chapters", that can backfire in all sorts of ways.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 09-14-2014, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I think she was saying that if someone transfers, the transfer chapter is not required to accept the girl, which I'm sure happens in some cases, though I haven't heard of a transfer affiliation being denied very often.

However, most groups stress that once you're initiated you can no longer join any other NPC sorority, so I agree that ignorance in that sense is not an excuse. Further, many times, transferring is a choice (though yes, sometimes a necessity) but it's up to the girl to do her research and find out if the school she intends to transfer to has her sorority or not. If they don't, she needs to make sure she's okay with that, or find another school that does have her sorority.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
If I am understanding you correctly you are saying that no chapters vote on affiliations.
OH my goodness, NO!! That is not what I was saying at all! My understanding is that many, many sororities give their chapters the right to vote to approve OR deny a transfer affiliation.

It is definitely a complicated situation. I don't think that there is a single answer, one way or another.