GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Pi > Pi Beta Phi
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,219
1 members and 2,218 guests
Xidelt

Old 01-11-2005, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PiPhiGirl2005
Michigan Alpha recruitment!

Formal recruitment at Michigan Alpha (Hillsdale College) begins on Friday with a recruitment workshop! Recruitment occurs over a four-day period: Open Houses on Saturday, Skits on Sunday, Formal Desserts on Monday, Prefs on Tuesday afternoon, and Pick-up on Tuesday evening. Before break, I believe our panhel rep said that about 60 girls were registered for recruitment - Panhel's goal is 75, and they usually get last-minute registrations during break. 60 is a great number, because with only 3 chapters, that makes quota around 20 (probably slightly less if some girls drop out, etc.). At formal last year, we did not meet quota due to non-signers, but we picked up many of those girls during fall informal. This is common at Hillsdale - many girls feel conflicted during formal and decide to wait until fall. We have lots of COB events during the spring and early fall and typically do very well with fall informal because we maintain friendships with girls who choose not to sign.

Although I'm a senior, I feel like I know many, many more of the freshmen than I usually do. There are four freshman girls on my cheerleading team who are all going through recruitment, and I'm so excited to watch them all find their homes. Hopefully, they will love Pi Phi, because I'd be happy to have them all in my house! Also, my fabulous boyfriend was NME for his fraternity (Sigma Chi) this semester, so I got to know a lot of the girls who hung around with his pledges. Several of them are total sweethearts and I'm excited to have them get to know my sisters during recruitment.

This semester was the first time that I have actually had girls come right out and say that they want to be Pi Phis. Obviously, this is one of the dangers of deferred recruitment - you see these girls around campus and get to know them through coke dates, etc. and they form opinions/attachments. And of course, it's difficult when they say things like, "I really want to be a Pi Phi" or "My sister is a junior and she said Pi Phi was the best sorority" because then I have to answer with something very panhellenic. One of my freshman cheerleaders actually made that second comment to me during a fundraiser at the beginning of the year, and I just answered that she should go through formal recruitment and meet girls from all the houses because they're all great. The Chi-O pahnel rep was standing there and I think she was happy with my answer.

Anyway, this is getting long. Can you tell I'm nervous about recruitment?! Anyway, whether you are interested or not, I'll probably post recruitment updates as the week progresses. Wish us luck!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )