GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,228
4 members and 1,224 guests
John, PrettyBoy, Xidelt

Old 05-21-2010, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
If it were at my house, the screaming would have been from me!
You Crack Me Up
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-21-2010, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_girl View Post
Sorry doll but you shouldn't comment if you don't know what you are speaking about! Don't try to bitch at me when you had the whole story wrong. If you don't know who I was even speaking to don't try to make an asinine comment about it!
Your momma.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_girl View Post
Sorry doll but you shouldn't comment if you don't know what you are speaking about! Don't try to bitch at me when you had the whole story wrong. If you don't know who I was even speaking to don't try to make an asinine comment about it!
huh? wtf are you talking about?
Old 05-21-2010, 11:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
huh? wtf are you talking about?
She's crazy, also she can't decide who she's talking to.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Update May 27, 2010: Alpha Phi at Dayton: Penalties

Station WHIO's site reports:

http://www.whiotv.com/news/23696082/detail.html

Excerpt:

Posted: 11:24 am EDT May 27, 2010
Updated: 2:54 pm EDT May 27, 2010

DAYTON, Ohio -- A University of Dayton disciplinary board has placed the campus chapter of Alpha Phi sorority on one-year probation for damaging a downtown Dayton banquet hall during a late March social event.

According to University officials, the chapter will be required to make full restitution to the University for $2,309, which the University paid to the hall's owners for repairs; engage in alcohol-education activities; and make public written apologies to the University of Dayton campus community as well as the Dayton community.

During the probation, which extends through May 15, 2011, all sorority events must be alcohol-free and the group is prohibited from holding events off campus. . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
Looks like it's happened again in SW Ohio, this time at University of Dayton.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/...ty-705529.html

This one has yet to make huge media waves, and it appears the college will be holding individuals more responsible, even though Alpha Phi will be undergoing a disciplinary hearing soon. Some girls were gracious enough to go back to the venue and apologize face to face as well.

You know... I don't know what it is about SW Ohio recently... but it's making me wonder. Is this behavior nothing new, and it's just making public news now? Has it gotten this out of hand because GLOs havent been punished enough in the past for similar things? Is it a geographical thing? I've noticed high school parties around here make high school parties in columbus and northern ohio look like friday night bingo at the church hall. Or is it a new trend? Or is it the dates that are taking advantage of the situation (it's not THEIR organization, afterall)? Or is it just a lack of alcohol education and lessons in responsibility? Is it like this everywhere else in the US?

Probation and suspension were nothing I ever experienced in college. None of the 4 sororities at my small school would dare test the limits like this. Even the fraternities were never that bad...Sig Pi's were put on social probation for one year for having a party with kegs that didnt get registered with campus security, but that's all I can remember. I'm not saying we were goodies who never had parties... I just never saw anyone get to the point where school or National GLO discipline was needed.

Last edited by exlurker; 05-27-2010 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

What in the name of all that is holy is going on at Miami? The following was taken from the ZTA national website

Official Statement from Zeta Tau Alpha on Beta Delta Chapter at Miami University

Zeta Tau Alpha Fraternity agrees with and respects the decision made May 27 by Miami University (Oxford, Ohio) to place our Beta Delta Chapter on probation for two years.

A small percentage of our members violated our national policies while traveling by bus to a social event at the Cincinnati Zoo on April 23, 2010. Their conduct did not reflect the standards and values of our Fraternity. Prior to the university hearing, our National Council had conducted our own investigation that resulted in a Fraternity-imposed probation and educational sanctions that the chapter must follow when school reopens in August.

“We regret that the actions of some of our members and their guests were inappropriate,” National President Laura Ladewig Mauro said. “Our internal investigation revealed that the majority of our members and their guests conducted themselves properly during the party at the zoo and on the buses. However, we teach our members that their individual actions reflect on the whole chapter and the entire Fraternity and we must remain diligent in reinforcing our values.”

Zeta Tau Alpha installed Beta Delta Chapter at Miami on March 18, 1926. The chapter has been a consistent recipient of Fraternity awards since 2000.

Zeta Tau Alpha was founded in 1898 at the State Female Normal School (now Longwood University) in Farmville, Va., and has 152 active collegiate chapters and more than 205,000 members worldwide. One of the nation’s largest Greek women’s groups, ZTA develops members’ leadership, academic and service skills, and supports breast cancer education and awareness as its national philanthropy.

Link Here
Old 05-31-2010, 10:16 AM
GreekChat Member

So now the question remains why two years from ZTA and AXiD and only one for Pi Phi?

I think the administration and all remaining groups at Miami need to take a hard look at Greek Life at Miami. 4 NPC organizations have been seriously sanctioned or closed in the past year. That is really scary.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 05-31-2010, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

What in the name of all that is holy is going on in Ohio!?!?!
Old 05-31-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
So now the question remains why two years from ZTA and AXiD and only one for Pi Phi?

I think the administration and all remaining groups at Miami need to take a hard look at Greek Life at Miami. 4 NPC organizations have been seriously sanctioned or closed in the past year. That is really scary.
Just pointing out: ZTA is on probation, not suspension. Alpha Xi Delta and Pi Beta Phi were suspended. I know it's only semantics, but it does make a difference.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 05-31-2010, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
Just pointing out: ZTA is on probation, not suspension. Alpha Xi Delta and Pi Beta Phi were suspended. I know it's only semantics, but it does make a difference.
Ah..thanks, Lane. That does make a difference. I hadn't noticed that.

AOII

Old 05-31-2010, 12:33 PM

Ohio is really damn flat and people get bored. That's my conclusion. You don't see this isht in PA, we've got constant road construction and hills and valleys to keep us occupied.

And as far as the difference in suspension length, I really do think it has to do with the venues that the groups were at. "Drunken sorority trashes civil rights museum" sounds a lot worse than "drunken sorority trashes resort with lake named after owner."
Old 05-31-2010, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Ohio is really damn flat and people get bored. That's my conclusion. You don't see this isht in PA, we've got constant road construction and hills and valleys to keep us occupied.

And as far as the difference in suspension length, I really do think it has to do with the venues that the groups were at. "Drunken sorority trashes civil rights museum" sounds a lot worse than "drunken sorority trashes resort with lake named after owner."
Oh, I completely agree, but when I thought that the ZTAs were suspended for two years, that made me wonder what was so special about the zoo.

AOII

Old 05-31-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Oh, I completely agree, but when I thought that the ZTAs were suspended for two years, that made me wonder what was so special about the zoo.
HAHAHAHA my brain just went to all sorts of gross places.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
HAHAHAHA my brain just went to all sorts of gross places.
Hee hee! I won't touch that one!

AOII

Old 05-31-2010, 03:46 PM
Banned

I don't think the behavior that has caused these sanctions is new. My guess would be that since the earlier events and penalties have been publicized so much in the media, now all the sororities are under extra scrutiny for their prior behavior. So maybe companies and the public are reporting things to the school that were previously left unmentioned?