GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,260
0 members and 1,260 guests
No Members online

Old 11-02-2006, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernelle25 View Post
I agree. Whether someone has something such as "good" hair is often a bigger issue, at least that has been my experience.
Good point. I know some people that see having "good hair" as a "plus" if you are dark-skinned. As if it made up not being lighter.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, and then there are those who feel bad for lightskinned people who do not having the "matching" hair.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

HAIR

I agree with Southernelle. I've never thought too much about skin color (there was no dark/light preference in my family), but HAIR is an issue.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
If people choose their mates based on that logic then they are idiots.

I remember this brown skin dude I knew who had finely textured hair and light eyes. Someone walked up to him, rubbed his hair and said "you're good for breeding."
When I was in highschool some lady did that to me. She said "Nice head of hair" feeling it at the same time.
Romans 1:16

Last edited by PrettyBoy; 04-22-2007 at 01:09 AM.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_princess View Post
Wow . . that's why I asked . . I could see how some people might take that as a compliment and get their heads all gassed up . .that's sad. Breeding of all things . . . like he was some type of animal or something

This question is for everyone, if you could alter you complexion (lighter if you are a dark-skinned or vice versa) would you? I just finished a book called "The Diary of an Ugly Duckling" and in it a young woman who was tired of being, in her words, "fat,black,& ugly" enters a reality makeover show where they offer to lighten her skin (among other things) so she can resemble her other lighter family members. I just womder how many of you would be willing? When I was younger I might have answered yes to this, (elementary school was rough) but now I really like my almond chocolate and so do the men folk
I'm happy with my complexion. I wouldn't change the way I look. The only thing I don't like is that people think I'm everything except black. Both my parents are black.

Last edited by PrettyBoy; 04-22-2007 at 01:09 AM.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyBoy View Post
When I was in highschool some lady did that to me. She said "Nice head of hair" feeling it at the same time.
Maybe she was humored by your Jackson 5 'fro.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Maybe she was humored by your Jackson 5 'fro.
LOL. Would you stop it!

Last edited by PrettyBoy; 04-22-2007 at 01:10 AM.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Hear hear!

SC
Quote:
What is interesting about this topic is that it is still a "big deal" to many people, which is why it is still a topic to be discussed. However, discussing it keeps the topic a "big deal" to many people as opposed to the assumption that discussing something combats ignorance and changes people's thoughts and actions.

I have found that instead of thinking and talking about this "color complex" I just make it a point to correct (usually, black) people when I see or hear them displaying colorisms or hair texturisms. For instance, if I hear some ignorant soul say "good hair" or say "I need to stay out of the sun because I'm black enough as is," I go on (what my friend calls) my Angela Davis speech. I say "no such thing as 'good hair' unless you're talking about healthy hair" and "no such thing as being 'black enough' but you need to stay out of the sun to protect yourself from UV rays and skin cancer, not getting darker. Interestingly enough, your beautiful dark skin protects you from the sun's rays and skin cancer more than lighter or white skin does." I remember when a classmate told me when I was little that I needed to stay out of the sun to make sure that I stayed pretty and lightskinned--my family doesn't talk crazy like that so I was really shocked when I was told that by an outsider. No, I don't need to stay out of the sun to avoid getting shades darker but I do need to stay out of the sun because I have less melanin to protect my skin.

Either case, people have generally learned not to make certain comments around me. I could be changing the world if I force everyone to interact with me on a daily basis. Then I'll be their #1 source of socialization.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Its always going to be an issue, its all about responding to it.

I just say things like "You still saying THAAAT?????" strongly attempting to make that person feel just as ignorant as they sound.

Thing is some of 'us' so-called educated folk are too blame for this still being an issue!

Look at a music video from the early 90's, the main girl usually was biracial with long curly hair, who SAID that was a TYPICAL Black girl?!?!?
Old 12-06-2006, 10:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Saw this as i was browsing the web, interesting.

http://www.afro.com/bnw/bwmain.html
Old 12-06-2006, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still BLUTANG View Post
Saw this as i was browsing the web, interesting.

http://www.afro.com/bnw/bwmain.html
Interesting indeed. Messages were much more blatant back then than any one could get away with today.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: On the fine line that seperates genious from insanity
Kanye at it again

I found this online and was not sure if the issue was addressed but I found this small piece about Kanye West and his crazy mouth . . . this can't possibly be helping things as far as the self esteem of young girls and the warped mentality of our young men

http://72.14.209.104/search?hl=en&q=...video+girls%22
Old 01-06-2007, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Kanye needs his jaw wired shut...again
Old 01-06-2007, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkies up View Post
Kanye needs his jaw wired shut...again
I thought the same thing.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisco View Post
Its always going to be an issue, its all about responding to it.

I just say things like "You still saying THAAAT?????" strongly attempting to make that person feel just as ignorant as they sound.

Thing is some of 'us' so-called educated folk are too blame for this still being an issue!

Look at a music video from the early 90's, the main girl usually was biracial with long curly hair, who SAID that was a TYPICAL Black girl?!?!?
I agree that it will always be an issue. I briefly looked at that website and they talked about black women with straight hair and how that obsession originated.

I don't agree with the idea that educated folk are a source of blame. I think we are all in it equally. For example, I can say that there are some things that have been ingrained in me during my childhood and throughout my life that I still struggle with (e.g., hair texture, acceptable weight, and the spectrum of black social statuses). I think that it would be naive of anyone to say that it is something that people should just 'get over'. As long as prejudice (internal and external) exists, it will always be an issue.

Although it is not just about skin color, it is about how we, as blacks in general, struggle to fit into white society (people who historically do not care about nor accept us into their worlds).