GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,271
3 members and 1,268 guests
3DGator, FSUZeta, LaneSig

Old 03-07-2018, 09:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Didn’t Balfour make jewelry for GLOs long time ago??? I think they made my badge.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKT4LIFE View Post
Didn’t Balfour make jewelry for GLOs long time ago??? I think they made my badge.
Nearly positive they made my initial one. Sadly, it was lost, and my replacement came from JBrandt.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

We ordered ours around October and got them in January. We weren't offered any engraving beyond the chapter number and member number on the back.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

My original plain Balfour one has my name, chapter and date of initiation on it. My replacement for my diamond that was stolen just has initials,chapter,month and year of initiation.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:56 PM

AEPhi currently uses HJ for badges. I honestly don't remember if they were our supplier when I was a collegian *mumble* years ago, but, back in the day, new members' badges always arrived in time for initiation. This is probably in part because we had exactly one option. (Now I think we have two options, 10k or 14k gold. Be still, my heart. ) Your initials were engraved on the back, you either bought a chapter guard or you didn't, end of story, no other customization allowed. So the turnaround time was quick.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Balfour was the official jeweler when I was initiated (there were still dinosaurs roaming the earth in those days). Mine had my badge number and chapter on. When I went on the leadership team, I rescued a pin that had pearls (mine was plain) from Ebay. It too had a number and chapter letters. When I checked with National, they said it was from a woman who was initiated 40 years before me.

DaffyKD
Old 03-08-2018, 09:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Interesting history on why Balfour isn’t still producing badges:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/L.G....rority_jewelry
Old 03-09-2018, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

I remember this too. It was determined to be an inside job.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crim...s-in-arlington

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
What ever happened with that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post

AND, remember how Delta Delta Delta had their stockpile stolen in that employee theft a couple years ago? So, there are downsides to keeping a stockpile.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not sure the years but I think there was a short period of Balfour badges for us and the numbering system is totally screwed up on those badges. Instead of our normal Chapter-Member Number the Balfour badges are just A-#### and I think I've seen a B-####
Old 03-10-2018, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post

At this point, with the exception of limited-edition badges, I'm not planning on ever ordering a new one again. Buy vintage. The quality has been so cheap that my badge doesn't even feel worth keeping as an heirloom.
I know exactly what you mean, Clemson Girl! These badges and symbols mean so much to us, and I don't think that many badges are made well enough to represent it. Thankfully my Alpha Gam badge seems to look as it should, but it's not necessarily worth the $220 I paid for it. I'm hoping to find a white gold vintage badge eventually, even though I know it will take patience and luck!
Old 03-10-2018, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

My initiation badge was our plain gold version. I couldn’t make up my mind which of the seemingly endless varieties to choose from. Years later I got my turquoise white gold badge from headquarters. I would never buy a new badge. Cheaply made with little attention to detail.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

When I got initiated, we weren't given an option. We automatically got the cheapie badge. I dunno if that was due to whoever was in charge of that or what. Some sisters later ordered the nicer badge. I've never gotten around to getting the nice one. I'd prob order one off eBay. I'd rather a sister (me) buy it rather than someone wanting to melt it down for gold and pearls.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins&Quills View Post
I'm not sure the years but I think there was a short period of Balfour badges for us and the numbering system is totally screwed up on those badges. Instead of our normal Chapter-Member Number the Balfour badges are just A-#### and I think I've seen a B-####
Yep - I have a Balfour badge from 1982 and the number on the back is B-####. One of these days I'm going to have it removed and replaced with my chapter and initials.

I agree with all who say the quality of the recent badges leaves a lot to be desired. We have a special badge since the Panhel National President is an AOII for two years, and a good number of members who ordered that badge had problems with it, mostly the ones who ordered a holder to go with it. The badges came mounted off center in the holder or had asymmetrical stone placement in areas. I've also heard people complaining about losing pearls.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Forgot to update! DD finally got her badge—10 months after initiation, and the diamond shaped badge in the middle is crooked! Sooo disappointing. Can’t imagine how long replacement will take.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

My badge from 1966 is a Balfour and is very special and well made with emeralds and pearls. We ordered our pins prior to initiation (of course in the olden days we pledged in August but weren't initiated until March) I remember when we all clustered around looking at options.

I also loved our pledge pin and 2nd degree pin we wore the the week before initiation. Are pledge pins even worn anymore. In the day, our big sisters allowed us to wear their pin after initiation until our pins arrived which was maybe a month after initiation. Special memories.