GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 313,689
Threads: 115,417
Posts: 2,167,542
Welcome to our newest member, jhnzpittay2446
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-23-2007, 03:23 PM
Kpinz17 Kpinz17 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1
Question Junior looking for some help on pledging as an upper class student

I am a student at a SUNY school; I transferred here from a community college in the fall of 2006. I wanted to get involved with a sorority because my sister went to another SUNY school and was involved in one and I remember seeing her pictures and just seeing how much fun it looked like and now she is getting married next August and has two of her pledge sisters as her bridesmaids. So in the fall(of 2006) I started looking immediately into sororities, there was one that I thought I was defiantly going to love so I went to a bunch of mixers and was getting to know the girls. However, I realized that I didn’t feel like I totally loved the sorority. I did look into one other sorority and ended up getting two bids but signed with the first sorority because I felt like I had known more info on that sorority and because I was going to all their events. I de-pledged the first sorority and now I am a junior and I really want to get involved. I have tried other things like kick line, swim team and writing for the paper but I want to get involved with Greek life and try with the other sorority I looked into last fall or another sorority which I had just found out about because they were dis-affiliated last year. I would be trying for next (spring) semester. I have heard it is harder to rush older and that most girls do not do it but I am hoping to hear some encouragement or success stories. Thanks for your input!

Last edited by PenguinTrax; 10-23-2007 at 05:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-23-2007, 03:34 PM
AlethiaSi AlethiaSi is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: freakin' out
Posts: 1,736
Send a message via AIM to AlethiaSi
i pm'd you
__________________
you don't need electricity to cut pineapple.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-23-2007, 05:51 PM
icicle22 icicle22 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Winter Springs, FL
Posts: 156
Send a message via AIM to icicle22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpinz17 View Post
I am a student at a SUNY school; I transferred here from a community college in the fall of 2006. I wanted to get involved with a sorority because my sister went to another SUNY school and was involved in one and I remember seeing her pictures and just seeing how much fun it looked like and now she is getting married next August and has two of her pledge sisters as her bridesmaids. So in the fall(of 2006) I started looking immediately into sororities, there was one that I thought I was defiantly going to love so I went to a bunch of mixers and was getting to know the girls. However, I realized that I didn’t feel like I totally loved the sorority. I did look into one other sorority and ended up getting two bids but signed with the first sorority because I felt like I had known more info on that sorority and because I was going to all their events. I de-pledged the first sorority and now I am a junior and I really want to get involved. I have tried other things like kick line, swim team and writing for the paper but I want to get involved with Greek life and try with the other sorority I looked into last fall or another sorority which I had just found out about because they were dis-affiliated last year. I would be trying for next (spring) semester. I have heard it is harder to rush older and that most girls do not do it but I am hoping to hear some encouragement or success stories. Thanks for your input!
I've been wondering about this too. Are there ANY success stories with rushing as a junior?
__________________
Sign here.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-23-2007, 06:14 PM
melsigkap melsigkap is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 48
My friend transfered to U of Illinois (hugely greek school) and got a bid as a junior through formal recruitment. It's not unheard of.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-23-2007, 09:10 PM
icicle22 icicle22 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Winter Springs, FL
Posts: 156
Send a message via AIM to icicle22
Quote:
Originally Posted by melsigkap View Post
My friend transfered to U of Illinois (hugely greek school) and got a bid as a junior through formal recruitment. It's not unheard of.
Wow, that's a relief...I seriously thought that because a girl is a junior, she doesn't necessarily get a bid.
I was curious though, because I rushed this year during August, and got dropped, and am therefore willing to go through formal recruitment next fall. I do hope that doesn't sound dumb or stupid.
__________________
Sign here.

Last edited by icicle22; 10-23-2007 at 09:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-23-2007, 11:53 PM
shadowyi shadowyi is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 45
One of my sisters in my pledge class was a junior, we were all highly impressed by her courage.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-23-2007, 11:55 PM
Leslie Anne Leslie Anne is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Someplace fabulous!
Posts: 2,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by icicle22 View Post
Are there ANY success stories with rushing as a junior?
Of course there are. There are lots of them! It really does depend on the campus though; at some you wouldn't have a chance and at others it's pretty common for Juniors to get a bid.

I pledged KD as a Junior!
__________________
Kappa Delta

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-24-2007, 12:26 AM
mystikchick mystikchick is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 385
HottyToddyChick rushed at Ole Miss and got a bid as a junior just a few weeks ago
__________________
Pi Delta Phi
Avançons, amis fidèles de la culture française
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-24-2007, 12:09 PM
AlethiaSi AlethiaSi is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: freakin' out
Posts: 1,736
Send a message via AIM to AlethiaSi
I'm not sure about the big greek schools. I know with us (as a local) it doesn't count against them. It is sad because they don't get to stay with us as long, and we urge them to work their way up in eboard more quickly and to take a little, and they usually get to have a little earlier too.
We've even taken seniors before.
__________________
you don't need electricity to cut pineapple.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-24-2007, 12:26 PM
violetpretty violetpretty is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: A state with a North-South identity crisis
Posts: 3,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by icicle22 View Post
Wow, that's a relief...I seriously thought that because a girl is a junior, she doesn't necessarily get a bid.
I was curious though, because I rushed this year during August, and got dropped, and am therefore willing to go through formal recruitment next fall. I do hope that doesn't sound dumb or stupid.
Well yes, you thought correctly. Actually, no one going through recruitment necessarily gets a bid, freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior. The general trend is that a PNM will have the most choices as a freshman (or sophomore if freshmen are not allowed to join). Juniors generally have fewer choices, but it is not unheard of, even at competitive schools, for juniors to get bids.

When you say you "were dropped" do you mean that you were cut by all chapters on campus, or you were cut by some and decided to drop out of recruitment?
__________________
Sigma Kappa
~*~ Beta Zeta ~*~
MARYLAND
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-24-2007, 12:27 PM
Glitter650 Glitter650 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: In the wine and Wallow room
Posts: 2,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowyi View Post
One of my sisters in my pledge class was a junior, we were all highly impressed by her courage.
this statement makes me feel like you all were kinda looking down on her... IDK.. =shrug==

IDK...maybe this is just me, and I'm possibly taking this the TOTAL wrong way because of my history at my very NON competitive school where class standing doesn't really matter AT ALL...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-24-2007, 02:27 PM
twinkle555 twinkle555 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: La La Land
Posts: 1,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by icicle22 View Post
I've been wondering about this too. Are there ANY success stories with rushing as a junior?
I was one of 6 juniors in my new member class last fall. It depends on where you go to school, but its def not unheard of or impossible.
__________________
"It's not a house, it's a h o m e."- ΑΟΠ
Recruitment Advisor
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-24-2007, 04:23 PM
TriDPrincess TriDPrincess is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NY
Posts: 161
I don't know about SUNY schools but I also transferred from a community college to go to a four year in NY. Greek life isn't so competitive at my school and therefore class status doesn't seem to affect getting a bid or not. I got a bid and am so excited I did. However, I would suggest: 1) Keeping your grades up 2)Get to know girls involved in greek life 3) Keep an open mind and 4) Be yourself! Good luck
__________________
If I had one wish... Delta Delta Delta !
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-24-2007, 04:50 PM
icicle22 icicle22 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Winter Springs, FL
Posts: 156
Send a message via AIM to icicle22
Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
Well yes, you thought correctly. Actually, no one going through recruitment necessarily gets a bid, freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior. The general trend is that a PNM will have the most choices as a freshman (or sophomore if freshmen are not allowed to join). Juniors generally have fewer choices, but it is not unheard of, even at competitive schools, for juniors to get bids.

When you say you "were dropped" do you mean that you were cut by all chapters on campus, or you were cut by some and decided to drop out of recruitment?
By "dropped", I meant I was cut by all chapters. It was more of a gradual thing...most of the chapters at my school dropped me by the third round of rush.
__________________
Sign here.

Last edited by icicle22; 10-24-2007 at 07:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-24-2007, 05:50 PM
ugamountaineer ugamountaineer is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 19
On UGAs greek life website, you can see who all pledged/got a bid and what year they were..there was only one junior to get a bid. I'll be there next spring and I'm SUPER nervous about all that, but I'm going to try and rush fall.

But I've known girls at schools to get bids as juniors..it's not unheard of at all..but it really honestly depends on the school, I suppose.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pledging Junior Year? Mmakela495 Sorority Recruitment 1 10-14-2007 08:28 PM
Rushing as a junior or senior transfer student CSUGreekGoddess Greek Life 15 05-23-2007 03:12 AM
NYC teacher sleeps with student, gets pregnant, still gives student a 65 in her class The1calledTKE News & Politics 14 04-18-2005 06:03 PM
Upper Classmen MTSUGirlie Recruitment 9 04-06-2004 11:31 PM
Pledging as a nontraditional student unregistered2 Greek Life 5 10-11-2000 01:10 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.