GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,044
1 members and 1,043 guests
LaneSig

Old 07-26-2007, 11:43 AM

Is it time to change who we think of as legacies?

There have been many threads on here about certain schools having to cut lots of women who are legacies because there are more legacies rushing than there are spaces in quota. Plus the new release figures compel the more successful chapters to release more women sooner. Sometimes these women are so disappointed they drop out of rush altogether and their female relatives stop supporting the sorority as alumnae.

There have also been threads about how women feel pressured by their female relatives to pledge their legacy chapter even if they don't fit in, or how a woman will end up getting cut from all the other chapters because they assume she'll pledge her legacy chapter - so her options are removed, even if that's not necessarily what she wanted to do.

As more women enter college, more women will go through rush and these issues will keep reappearing.

Is the legacy system "broken"? Could it perhaps be improved by tightening the requirements of who is a legacy (i.e. daughters only, same chapter only), or should it be done away with altogether? Or is this an isolated thing that only happens at a few schools in the country (i.e. the SEC and such) and the system of legacies as is is working out great for the NPC groups on the whole?
Old 07-26-2007, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't know the answers, but I agree that it's difficult to imagine how the legacy policies can remain significant as a higher and higher percentage of the population goes to college.

The part of the policies, if you have them, that require that a legacy be invited to the first invitation round seem like they could go on forever, but they don't mean much.

Having a different standard for legacies from the same chapter might be the way to go for any kind of deeper level of deference to the PNM legacy.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
I really think that something needs to be done. At some schools it seems beneficial not to announce that your a legacy so you have a fair shot at all the groups.

What should be done, that I don't know.

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 07-26-2007, 12:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't think it needs to be generally advertised to your non-legacy chapters where your relative initiated, but that's more of a competitive culture than anything else. I think it is easy enough to change that by not asking the question on a recruitment application. It's no one's business except for the legacy sorority. Similiarly, the individual sorority rec forms really have no business asking you what other sorority influences/legacy status you might have. Maybe it's for statistical purposes, but I think it hurts the PNMs. Some chapters automatically assume a young woman will join her legacy sorority. And then when the legacy gets cut by her mother's sorority b/c she isn't a fit for that chapter, she has no where to go... or fewer options at the very least.

If you were to put a college admissions committee and a sorority membership team side by side, there are a lot of similiarities-- the grades, the activities, "celebrity status," diversity, etc.-- as things that are considered in admissions.

In university admissions, some minority groups receive additional special consideration. It doesn't guarantee them a spot, but it can help because the university is committed to helping these groups achieve greater presence in higher education.

Legacies are like our minorities for the purposes of recruitment-- we want to give them some special additional consideration, but it isn't a free pass. It never has been, and it never should be. I would hate to be a legacy and think the only reason I received a membership bid was because the chapter "had to," and not because they wanted to.

I don't think the legacy consideration needs review, but I do think that legacies shouldn't be required to make their status publicly known.

Last edited by adpiucf; 07-26-2007 at 12:23 PM.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

After reading all the posts about it, I have basically decided that my daughters will NOT list their legacy sororities on the general registration form- those sororities will be notified, and the others really don't need the information.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
After reading all the posts about it, I have basically decided that my daughters will NOT list their legacy sororities on the general registration form- those sororities will be notified, and the others really don't need the information.
I feel the same way

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 07-26-2007, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

It seems like the biggest benefit of a PNM's legacy status is that her family is knowledgeable/supportive of Greek life. When a college freshman comes into recruitment having talked with a family member who was in a sorority, she is probably more aware of all the different kinds of commitments (time, money, grades, etc.) required by sorority life than her peers who may not have a relationship with a sorority member.

Perhaps it would suffice for a PNM to simply say she has X relatives who were in NPC groups. Heck, it might even be helpful to say she has Y male relatives who were in NIC groups. (After all, fraternity life, I'm assuming, also requires similar commitments.)

Since legacy status means such different things depending on the campus, I think it would be difficult for NPC to come up with a blanket change that would be beneficial to everyone.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I think this is fine, but be aware that it might not be foolproof. I know our rec form asks about the PNM's family Greek affiliations. You could neglect to provide it to the rec. writers not from the legacy groups, I guess.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, you can only do what you can only do. Several of the campuses my 17 yr. old is looking at do NOT have Gamma Phi chapters () so on those campuses I would list all Gamma Phis to show that she has a greek background. On the others, I would not want her to put it on the general application, and when talking to the women in my Alumnae Panhellenic ( who would probably be the rec writers) I would ask them not to mention their legacy status, unless it was to THEIR glo. I've now got a network developed enough to basically get recs from all glos from my a.pl, friends or family, so that helps.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

At Tennessee, when a PNM registers only the sorority she is legacy can she that she has listed that sorority. This has been standard since we started using the ICS system for registration and invites, etc. This protects the legacy to some extent but if she has an in house sister, everyone knows it already.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

As long as you have some way of addressing it with the rec. writers who do know of the groups I think it's going to be great.

I'm at a stage of life where my interest tends to work more from the perspective of the girl going through than it does for the group. I might find it a little moral quandary if I knew of a girl's legacy status at other groups and she asked me not to reveal it, but in most cases, I only know if they directly tell me, so it'd be really easy for them to control.

(I hate to be such a nerd, but we have a little blank for it, and to consciously omit information requested would seem a smidgen wrong.)
Old 07-26-2007, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
There have been many threads on here about certain schools having to cut lots of women who are legacies because there are more legacies rushing than there are spaces in quota. Plus the new release figures compel the more successful chapters to release more women sooner. Sometimes these women are so disappointed they drop out of rush altogether and their female relatives stop supporting the sorority as alumnae.

There have also been threads about how women feel pressured by their female relatives to pledge their legacy chapter even if they don't fit in, or how a woman will end up getting cut from all the other chapters because they assume she'll pledge her legacy chapter - so her options are removed, even if that's not necessarily what she wanted to do.

As more women enter college, more women will go through rush and these issues will keep reappearing.

Is the legacy system "broken"? Could it perhaps be improved by tightening the requirements of who is a legacy (i.e. daughters only, same chapter only), or should it be done away with altogether? Or is this an isolated thing that only happens at a few schools in the country (i.e. the SEC and such) and the system of legacies as is is working out great for the NPC groups on the whole?
and as more women enter college, the more likely that those who do rush could be legacies. i mean, there are more likely to be SGRho legacies in 2007 than, let's say, 1967. you just figure with ever generation there are an exponential amount more legacy PNMs. and of course not EVERY COLLEGE WOMAN will rush and accept a bid, but you are bound to have more and more legacies during recruitment as time goes on.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Hmmm . . . in that case, I might call the chapter advisor and let her know that the pnm is a legacy, but she wants an opportunity to make up her own mind and so doesn't want to list her legacy glo. Then you have let the chapter advisor know, and she can do with the information what she will.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Getting back to the OP's question...

My first instinct is to differentiate between the daughters of active alumnae and daughters of those that haven't been involved since college. I don't really know how you'd determine this, though, and it would be an administrative nightmare.

My mom, for example, was an active member for four years, graduated in good standing, and that was the end of it. Did I deserve the same consideration as Suzie Rushee whose mom is president of the local alumnae chapter?

Also, Chi Omega's policy of not including grandmothers is interesting, because your mom was a legacy, and she either continued the tradition or didn't. If sh did, you are a legacy through your mom, and if she didn't, then maybe Chi Omega isn't that important to your family.

What groups include more than daughters, sisters, and grand-daughters?

We never had a problem with too many legs in my chapter, but that's not surprising, because Phi Mu is not that prominent in the Midwest.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

That is the way I'd like my daughter to go if she does decide to rush. I want her to be able to choose where she is a member and not be unfairly cut just because of my choice.

War Eagle