GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,302
2 members and 2,300 guests
Phrozen Sands, Sister Havana

Old 09-10-2003, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation Sorority Life 4? Help!

Okay girls and boys, here's the deal. My sorority has applied to be on sorority life 4 and have been contacted by MTV for further application. Now at the beginning, my sisters were gungho about it, now they seem to be anything but. We voted at our last chapter to not do it because girls seemed worried about being on TV because of their future careers and what it might do to our group. However, this was not a silent vote so some girls felt intimidated to not raise their hands to vote for it *even me*. So, ironically, since we've voted, MTV has called us back with more interest once every of the past 3 days though we haven't talked to them yet because of class and such. So basically, what I'm asking for is some advice. If any of you girls on here are from any of the SL seasons I would LOVE to hear of your experience. Maybe it would help some of our qualms. I'm just looking for some POSITIVE information and advice so that our girls may want to get more information (not definately being on the show) instead of just saying no this early. Please respond ASAP, thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-10-2003, 03:25 PM

JUST.
SAY.
NO.

Edited because it was so big I annoyed myself. hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee

Last edited by 33girl; 09-10-2003 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-10-2003, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Was that supposed to help?

Okay that wasn't positive feedback. I capitalized it for a reason. I was looking for some insight, not a drug slogan.
Old 09-10-2003, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Here's all I can imagine about being in the show...

A lot of stuff goes on in my house, as I'm sure it does in every house. Sometimes I just get SO frustrated with my sisters, and need to vent to other sisters. And then I feel ten times better, and life goes on.

Now, if I were on Sorority Life, a YEAR after I had whatever issues with whoever, that person would see me on TV complaining about them - and this issue that had completely blown over and wasn't even a big deal in the first place would be brought up again, wounds would be reopened, and everything would be crazy and chaotic.

Or imagine if you have a girl who has a shaky pledgeship - sisters are expressing concern if she's Sigma material, etc. And then she does get initiated, and becomes a wonderful sister. Then, when the season airs - she finds out how everyone thought she wasn't going to make it - how is she gonna feel?

I know you want positive feedback, but I honestly can't see anything POSITIVE ever coming from these shows. I love watching them, and they're entertaining, but I would never put my sisterhood out there for the public scrutiny and mockery of everyone watching MTV - I just don't think it's worth it.
Old 09-10-2003, 03:40 PM

OK...

here are contact listings of the 2 previous sororities who appeared on the show.

http://www.sigmaaepi.com/html/contacts.html

http://www.deltaxiomega.com/contact.htm

Email them and ask them what their experience has been.

Also, here are threads on GC that have discussed the previous shows.

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...threadid=30102

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...threadid=21064

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...threadid=21345

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...threadid=10448

Rock on.

(Incidentally, just say no is an anti-drug slogan, but whatever. )

Last edited by 33girl; 09-10-2003 at 03:44 PM.
Old 09-10-2003, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to damasa Send a message via AIM to damasa Send a message via Yahoo to damasa
Re: Was that supposed to help?

Quote:
Originally posted by iheartmyletters
Okay that wasn't positive feedback. I capitalized it for a reason. I was looking for some insight, not a drug slogan.
Ok, let's be honest here. You are looking for positive feeback about a show which most of us can not give. I know that I don't speak for everyone on GC, but I do know that from what I've seen in the previous seasons, MTV doesn't seem to put these GLOs in the best of light. They edit the tapings to make them more appealing to the viewing audience. How do they get people to watch? Drama, drama and more drama. Maybe throw in a little violence, actions that might be seen as hazing and more drama.

I agree with 33, I would say no. Unless you think that your chapter is a chapter that will truly be different (in a positive way) than the other sororities shown in the previous seasons.

Remember Sigma Chi Omega from Fraternity Life? I'm pretty sure they are no longer recognized by their school.
Old 09-10-2003, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Trying to be positive...

I really think you should think about the pros and cons. On the good side it is tons of publicity for your house, a chance for your "15 minutes", publicity for your school, publicity for your school's Greek system....all of this assuming that you can deal with the negative. You have to be able to handle the negativity. I know you wanted positive feedback, but the reality of reality TV is that you may look stupid, you may be drunk and out of control on tv, your parents/family/friends/etc. may be disappointed in you and you may not represent your chapter the way you would like to. Remember, you are not the editors and when you sign a contract on these shows you surrender any type of control over your image. So understand that the post above is just trying to prevent all the negative things from happening to your house and the greek community as a whole, but if you feel that you and your house can handle it, go for it. Just remember you are not just representing you or your house, but the greek community as a whole.
Old 09-10-2003, 03:43 PM

I strongly recommend a search on this site about "Sorority Life" and/or "MTV Sorority Life". You may find it quite interesting to read the opinions and thoughts concerning prior seasons of the show posted by various GC members. You'll find posts from alumnae and collegians, members of (inter)national and local GLOs, social and special-interest GLOs, and both sorority and fraternity members.

There are so many negatives, and very few (if any) positives I can think of. MTV retains all content and editing rights to the show, and can easily manipulate things to make a "good show." You and your sisters may be the top sorority at your school and be filled with the most upstanding and excellent women on your campus--but trust me, MTV will find 8-12 hours worth of less than positive things and air those. You'll be living with the decision during filming, and again when the show airs, and into the future as the shows are rerun.

Good luck with your decision.
Christin
Old 09-10-2003, 03:46 PM

incidentally, is PSU Penn State? If so, they have been having enough going on in the Greek community as it is, and this would not be well-received.
Old 09-10-2003, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Was that supposed to help?

Quote:
Originally posted by damasa
Remember Sigma Chi Omega from Fraternity Life? I'm pretty sure they are no longer recognized by their school.
Neither is Delta Omega Chi from Fraternity Life 2, and the show has not even aired yet...
Old 09-10-2003, 05:05 PM

Run Away!

My background is 35 years of TV production.

I was a fairly (non totally) lonesome voice a few years ago pointing out that MTV has no scrupples when it comes to editing, etc.

Look at the shows for the past years and how the chapters were portrayed.

MTV is looking for sensationalism and drama. Their aim is for ratings, not to help you out.

Sorry.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 09-10-2003, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

i'm sure that it would be in your best interest not to get involved with MTV and sorority life. if you've ever watched the show, you'll notice that it's completely focused on DRAMA and not on sisterhood and friendship. it's nothing but BAD PRESS for your group, your school, and greek life in general. if you and your sisters want what's best for your sorority and your personal relationships with one another, you'll stay away from the cameras. in fact, you should stay away from MTV for the benefit of all greeks!

Last edited by Moxie; 09-10-2003 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-10-2003, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

>>>Was that supposed to help?
Okay that wasn't positive feedback. I capitalized it for a reason. I was looking for some insight, not a drug slogan<<<

I have to disagree, I think that advice was extremely helpful. I understand that you are trying to look at the issue from all sides, but there are not a lot of postives to say about being made a fool of on national television. You can certainly expect a good amount of that kind of press if you do the show. However, like one of the other posters said, most of us do not have the experience of "been there done that" and you probably should contact some of the groups who have to get that side of the story. If by POSITIVE feedback, you mean some reasons why your group should do this, I can't think of a single one.

Last edited by aopinthesky; 09-10-2003 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-10-2003, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay, I will be the first to admit that I watched Sorority Life 1 and 2 and I'll probably watch 3. I watch these not because they actually represent any semblance of sorority life (because I don't think they do). I watch them for pure entertainment purposes.

Everything on the show is drama, drama, drama. But that was why I kept watching. In season 1 I was dying to know what was gonna happen with Candace, season 2 it was the the blonde chick (who I can't think of her name right now).

Now I know you have been receiving a lot of negative feedback. The only really positive feedback I can offer is the following:
A) If you girls feel very strongly and comfortable about your sisterhood and you all realize that things and moments will be taken out of context to make a drama, go for it.
B) You will recieve a tremendous amount of publicity. Good and bad. But with this you will see negatives. 1) bad publicity 2) girls will be coming out of the woodwork to rush your house because of MTV. (that was evident in both sorority life seasons).
C) The money. Money that can be used to buy more things for the chapter in general, money that can be used for your philanthropy.

All I can advice is for you and your sisters is to really all sit down, talk and be completely honest with one another about how y'all feel about it. Weigh all the pro's you can think of and way all the con's. Do what you all feel is right for your chapter.

Brianna
Alpha Delta Pi
Old 09-10-2003, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlphaPhiBubbles
Of course I have to agree with everyone here...nothing good would come from this. MTV will find some sorority somewhere to do this horrible show, but i would never want it to be mine. Think about what they focus on: drinking, drama, sex, scandal....of course all sorority/fraternity life has these as a part of it, but it is certainly not the main focus, right? Well MTV will MAKE it the focus, just look at it that way. They don't give two sh*ts about your sisterhood.

MTV recently came to my school (Cal State Chico) to recruit for a new show called "Ultimate Parties" or something and the school basically shooed them away. I mean with a show like that, how much more desperate can they get?!??