GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,894
2 members and 1,892 guests
naraht, PGD-GRAD

Old 09-05-2019, 10:19 AM

Delta Delta Delta has begun colonization activities at Tulane University(LA).

https://tulanehullabaloo.com/48234/n...lta-to-campus/

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 09-14-2019, 11:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Our Alpha Gamma chapter colonization at the University of Delaware has 45 founding fathers. Welcome back!
Old 09-15-2019, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Gamma Phi Beta welcomes our newest colony at Virginia Commonwealth University!
Old 09-16-2019, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Welcome new sisters!!

(Love the new brand shirts!)
Old 09-17-2019, 09:41 AM

Sigma Alpha Mu at Penn State University has had their charter revoked. Closure is due to RMF.

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2019/0...s-imposed.html

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 09-19-2019, 08:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Kappa Sigma's charter was revoked by HQ at Elon University for honor code violations.

https://www.elonnewsnetwork.com/arti...wB6tGeDlE9nHDs
Old 09-22-2019, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Gamma Phi Beta had its bid day at the University of Kentucky

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2t82zfFpDS/
Old 09-22-2019, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

We are very excited to return to the University of Kentucky and recolonize our Gamma Omicron chapter.
Old 09-23-2019, 01:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Delta Phi Epsilon colonized at University of Tampa this past weekend! Welcome ladies
Old 09-23-2019, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

This past weekend, ZBT officially chartered the College Of Charleston Colony. Here's to the new Eta Phi Chapter.

Also, recolonization has began at Virginia Tech and University of Hartford for the Fall 2019 and a new colony will begin at University of North Florida for Spring 2020.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Per our National website, we are returning to Muhlenberg College (Eta chapter) Spring 2020.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKT4LIFE View Post
Per our National website, we are returning to Muhlenberg College (Eta chapter) Spring 2020.
Alpha Epsilon Pi is also returning to Muhlenberg College.

https://www.muhlenberg.edu/news/2019...demicyear.html
Old 09-25-2019, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm not sure I totally understand the colonization thing. (I wasn't in a sorority but my mother and grandmother were at a time when there were no new sororities to campus. We did have one colonize my junior or senior year but I felt a little too old to take notice.)
So, a sorority is planning to colonize at Daughter's prospective "competitive" school in fall 2020. She'll be going through recruitment in fall of 2020 as a freshman and thinks being a member of a new sorority might be a cool thing. Of course Grandma wants her to join her sorority. From what I understand, the new sorority goes through round 1 but then drops out. Is that right? If so, what happens to the girls who might be interested? Is it suggested they hold out for the new sorority or accept a bid from one of the established sororities? It seems like it would be less complicated for them to start taking girls this spring and participate full on in recruitment, but I guess there's a reason for doing it the other way.
Old 09-25-2019, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittleclueless View Post
I'm not sure I totally understand the colonization thing. (I wasn't in a sorority but my mother and grandmother were at a time when there were no new sororities to campus. We did have one colonize my junior or senior year but I felt a little too old to take notice.)
So, a sorority is planning to colonize at Daughter's prospective "competitive" school in fall 2020. She'll be going through recruitment in fall of 2020 as a freshman and thinks being a member of a new sorority might be a cool thing. Of course Grandma wants her to join her sorority. From what I understand, the new sorority goes through round 1 but then drops out. Is that right? If so, what happens to the girls who might be interested? Is it suggested they hold out for the new sorority or accept a bid from one of the established sororities? It seems like it would be less complicated for them to start taking girls this spring and participate full on in recruitment, but I guess there's a reason for doing it the other way.
Yes, that is correct. The new colony will introduce themselves to the women during the first round and then conduct their official colony recruitment after the campus primary recruitment is over. Technically, PNMs who are interested could drop-out of primary recruitment and try their hand at joining the colony. However, it would make more sense to go through primary recruitment and, if not able to match with one of the current sororities, try the colony. To be clear, colonization is not an "easier option" for women who "failed to get a bid" during recruitment. The membership selection criteria for a colonization can be quite rigorous and young women should not think they can walk right into a colony and receive a bid to be a founding member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittleclueless View Post
@FloridaTish

Yes! They were all the range here in the mid to late 1980s. If I weren't a ZTA, I would wonder if I could have been LaneSig's date because I did, in fact, have a dress just like that. (I did not have a romper as they never quite fit me right.) Now, back to UGA.
Also, I'm just curious, in another thread (quoted above) you said you are a ZTA; but, in your post in this thread you are saying you were never in a sorority? Maybe you meant to say, "If I were a ZTA, I could have been LaneSig's date"?

True and Constant

Last edited by navane; 09-25-2019 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-25-2019, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Thew only way a colonization is an easier option is for a Junior, as a colony would want to have upperclassmen, whereas many existing chapters do not. But, even then the Junior would have to have the grades, the resume and the personality to be selected.