GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Social

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,095
1 members and 1,094 guests
Sarak24034

Old 06-25-2015, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face Looking to form a Local HS Sorority

Hey Y'all! I'm Nessie, I'm a high schooler in Michigan looking to form a local sorority . Here is my reasons: A lot of the girls in my HS are looking to go down south for college and to other extremely competitive rush schools and rush there. But a lot of these said girls don't have the best grades or the best rush profiles. So I was thinking about forming a local high school sorority to do community service, have help applying to colleges, have help signing up for rush, go on guided college tours, have help securing all of the recommendations needed, prepare for each round of rush, have sorority members come in and speak, and have open positions so girls who haven't had the chance to have leadership opportunities the ability to have positions of power. If this was to happen I would have 11 other high schools joining mine and at least 2 to 4 hundred members.
So please leave an opinion below! A nice opinion is preferred!
Thanks!
Nessie
Old 06-25-2015, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexloves88 View Post
Hey Y'all! I'm Nessie, I'm a high schooler in Michigan looking to form a local sorority . Here is my reasons: A lot of the girls in my HS are looking to go down south for college and to other extremely competitive rush schools and rush there. But a lot of these said girls don't have the best grades or the best rush profiles. So I was thinking about forming a local high school sorority to do community service, have help applying to colleges, have help signing up for rush, go on guided college tours, have help securing all of the recommendations needed, prepare for each round of rush, have sorority members come in and speak, and have open positions so girls who haven't had the chance to have leadership opportunities the ability to have positions of power. If this was to happen I would have 11 other high schools joining mine and at least 2 to 4 hundred members.
Thanks!
Nessie
Nexloves88, while you probably mean well, I think it is unlikely that you will get much enthusiasm or offers of help from NPC sorority women here on GC.
One major obstacle is due to one of the oldest of the "Unanimous Agreements" that are binding on the 26 NPC sororities. It's this:

"IV. STANDARDS OF ETHICAL CONDUCT . . .
8. NPC has no affiliation or connection with any high school sorority."

So having a HS sorority with essentially the sole aim of preparing young women for recruitment is probably not going to find favor with most NPC groups.

Just my opinion, and others -- more knowledgeable and experienced than I -- may have different views
Old 06-25-2015, 08:44 PM

Work on your grades, your community service, your conversation skills and your grades (yes I said it twice) instead of wasting time and effort creating an organization that will be zero help (and may actually be a hindrance) in receiving a bid from an NPC sorority.

A much better idea would be to contact your local alumnae Panhellenic for assistance in preparing for sorority rush and possible volunteer opportunities.

ETA: asking for an opinion, but telling people what sort of opinion you want, really isn't asking for an opinion at all.

Last edited by 33girl; 06-25-2015 at 08:53 PM.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexloves88 View Post
Thanks!
Nessie
It sounds like about half of these things should be done by your guidance department at your high school, and the other half should be done by an area alumnae Panhellenic organization. I don't know that other high schoolers are the group to go to for any of the things I bolded. Have you first spoken with your guidance counselors about help for the college parts, and a local alumnae group (if one exists) for the sorority ones?

Also, if a girl has bad grades or a subpar resume a high school sorority is not going to help much, if at all. I don't believe that this group will be able to do the things you think it will, especially spread across that many high schools and people. If you want to organize a group that goes on college tours and does community service together, great! This just doesn't seem like the way to go about it.

Please understand that I am trying to say this as nicely as possible, but I am an active member of my chapter and a college senior who was in your shoes not too long ago. I appreciate what you want to do, but you should look long and hard at existing organizations and structures before trying to forge your own.

EDIT: completely agree with what 33girl said. Also, entirely personally, I would not be impressed by a PNM who brought up being in a high school sorority during recruitment or listed it on her resume, especially if she explained that she was a member in an attempt to join a collegiate sorority. Way too try-hard.

EDIT EDIT: 33girl you are reading my mind with your edits. Our edit feng-shui must be in sync or something. Maybe the planets are properly aligned?

Last edited by clemsongirl; 06-25-2015 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:40 PM

These girls should be joining established organizations to get service and leadership opportunities. Key Club, Model UN, sports teams, etc. Having their resumes filled with known groups and easy to recognize experience will help them.