GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,412
1 members and 2,411 guests
navane

Old 06-26-2000, 02:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Serious question: Overweight and Rushing?

Hello,
I have a question for you. I am an intelligent, attractive, creative soon-to-be-freshman, and I am also overweight. This has never caused a problem for me so far, but I'm worried that it might when it comes time to rush a sorority this fall. Any thoughts on this? I have seen photo albums for every sorority online in the entire United States, and have yet to find a single picture of someone who is even the slightest bit overweight. I'm a little nervous that this might stop me from being in a sorority. Thank you, and please, no joke replies. This is a serious question and I'm looking for sincere responses.

Thanks again,
Sophie Kingstaad
New Orleans, LA
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-26-2000, 09:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Finer Woman10-A-91 Send a message via Yahoo to Finer Woman10-A-91
Thumbs up

Ask yourself this question...Would YOU be interested in being in a Sorority that rejectd candidates based clearly on the numbers represented by a scale?

Sister girl...let your personality SHINE!!!!!
And act accordingly! Its not the end of the world. There are women who will be more concerned with the brand of lipstick and pantyhose you use than the content of your character. Where you fit in, only you can decide.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sophie1982:
Hello,
I have a question for you. I am an intelligent, attractive, creative soon-to-be-freshman, and I am also overweight. This has never caused a problem for me so far, but I'm worried that it might when it comes time to rush a sorority this fall. Any thoughts on this? I have seen photo albums for every sorority online in the entire United States, and have yet to find a single picture of someone who is even the slightest bit overweight. I'm a little nervous that this might stop me from being in a sorority. Thank you, and please, no joke replies. This is a serious question and I'm looking for sincere responses.

Thanks again,
Sophie Kingstaad
New Orleans, LA

------------------
Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated...Every Finer Woman's Dream!
Old 06-26-2000, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Sophie-

Unfortunately there are chapters that take appearance more into consideration than personality, grades and activities.

Be confident, upbeat and interested. Make sure your clothes fit well, are clean, pressed, etc. and go for it. Don't try and wear the same trendy stuff you might see on a size 2. Wear things that are flattering and comfortable for YOU, not the current Seventeen cover model. Check out a copy of Girl or Mode magazine if you haven't already. Those mags are FANTASTIC. :-)

I have always been more,hmm, shapely than most and never found it to be a hindrance. If a chapter cut me because they didn't like my dress size, then screw 'em - it's not a group I'd want to be associated with in the first place.

From one real woman to another - good luck!

Barbara

[This message has been edited by PnguinTrax (edited June 26, 2000).]
Old 06-26-2000, 09:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Sophie Be advised. Don't become a part of something that you can't feel proud of and that can't feel proud of you. Your weight is not a reflection of your performance in the organization it is a reflection of you. If you carry your esteem high along with your weight, you can soar at whatever to set out to do. There are NO perfect sizes in any organization.

"Stay encouraged, and stay blessed in GOD."

Pinkice9

[This message has been edited by pinkice9 (edited June 26, 2000).]
Old 06-26-2000, 10:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
Smile

Sophie1982,

You seem like a self-assured, positive young woman. Let those qualities, plus your intelligence and attractiveness be your ticket through rush!

If potential future sisters are more concerned about your appearance representing the sisterhood, versus your actions and deeds, then perhaps they aren't worth it. Look for sisterhood where it truly is, rather than where it appears to be.

I certainly don't fit the "image" of the average greek woman on campus, and I sensed that this would not be acceptable to many of the houses on campus. (I have priorities that do not include being perfectly made up at all times - I understand that is important to some, but it's not to me.) So I didn't go that route. I am now happily involved with my own sisterhood, where I feel comfortable with myself and my sisters.

Best of luck to you!

Old 06-26-2000, 05:10 PM
daisy

Thumbs up

Quote:
I am an intelligent, attractive, creative soon-to-be-freshman, and I am also overweight.
Sophie, I wish you the very best as you pursue Rush and I hope that you find the right sorority for you. Sorority members do indeed come in all shapes and sizes. Put your best face forward in Rush and let your personality SHINE!
Old 06-27-2000, 12:06 AM
star78cj@aol.com

Talking

if you decide to rush a sorority and they don't want you because of what you look like, then they really aren't worth your time anyways! you are going to be friends with these girls for the rest of your life... make sure they are actually people that are worthy of being your friend!! good luck... it will be the best experience of your life!!
-sister of theta phi alpha sorority
Old 06-27-2000, 01:02 PM

Cool

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Finer Woman10-A-91:
[B]Ask yourself this question...Would YOU be interested in being in a Sorority that rejectd candidates based clearly on the numbers represented by a scale?

Sister girl...let your personality SHINE!!!!!
And act accordingly! Its not the end of the world. There are women who will be more concerned with the brand of lipstick and pantyhose you use than the content of your character. Where you fit in, only you can decide.

Amen...amen...AMEN!!!

It's not what you've got it's what you do with it. BEST OF LUCK!!!
Old 06-27-2000, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

You go Girl!

I not only rushed and was overweight, I also rushed at the age of 23! (I waited to go to college) Although it is discouraging to not see any pictures of overweight women on those national sites...it doesn't mean they don't exist! As it has been said... you will find an organization that values you because of the incredible woman you are on the inside... so be sharp, have fun... and go greek!

------------------
Kappa Alpha Theta
Beta Gamma Chapter
Colorado State University
"Where twin stars shine bright!"
Live the dream - go Theta!
Old 06-30-2000, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

The most important thing to look at here is "do you want to be happy in the org you choose?" and I beleive you do. Don't let anyone put you down or make you feel lower thrn them. And beleive me girl if they don't want you because you because of something that petty they don't deserve you.
Old 07-02-2000, 07:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Gyrl... don't worry about that. If they don't won't you because of something stupid like that ..Screw themm...They didn't deserve you anyway!! *smile*
ps I'm in new orleans also.where r you going to college at
Old 07-04-2000, 08:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Don't even worry about it, there are plenty of sororities who won't care at all about your weight, and if they do, forget it.
Old 07-04-2000, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

If they don't value your membership and potential contributions because you may not live up to their aesthetic ideal, you shouldn't want them as sisters.

[This message has been edited by AlphaChiGirl (edited July 04, 2000).]
Old 07-06-2000, 01:55 PM

Sophie-

When I went through rush I paid attention if there were overweight members and how they were treated. This gives you some insight into the chapter.

You probably won't have a problem going through rush. Just be yourself and you'll do fine. Listen to your heart and you'll end up in the right house.
Old 07-06-2000, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

At my college the women are of all shape and sizes. If you want to plege and the "girls" won't let you because of you weight, they are not important and they are disrespecting thier founders. Don't go by the pictures that you see, but if you look hard enough I'm sure you will see a "big girl" like us representing!

------------------
Reach for the Moon, because even if you miss, you will still be among the stars!
-unknown