GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,311
2 members and 1,309 guests
indygphib

Old 04-30-2002, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Rush & Greek life at UCF

Hi!! I am new to this board and was hoping that someone could answer some questions for me... From browsing I have seen a couple of people here that go to UCF - hopefully you are reading this...
Anyway, I will be a sophomore at UCf in th efall and was thinking about joining a sorority. I don't really know much about the particular organizations and I have so many questions. I have heard mixed reactions from the few girls I know that are in sororities. One of them told me that all it really is is partying and drinking and if your not really into that you should not join, but a lot of people seem to say that it is so much more than that. I am not really that type that parties very often and I rarely drink, so ?I am wondering if mabe greek life is not for me? Also, what is rush like at UCf? from what one girl told me "it is the best week of your life that you never want to have happen again". I am not quite sure what she meant by this. Also, how much time does being in a sorority take up? Most of my close friends and my boyfriend are not involved in greek organizations and I want to make sure I will still have time for them... especially for my boyfriend- he is so worried that I will never have time for him and run off with a fraternity guy or something (which I wouldn't).
Sorry this is kinda long, but i foyu can answer any of my questions or just tell about sororities in general that would be great!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-30-2002, 12:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Rush & Greek life at UCF

Quote:
Originally posted by ashley99
Hi!! I am new to this board and was hoping that someone could answer some questions for me... From browsing I have seen a couple of people here that go to UCF - hopefully you are reading this...
Anyway, I will be a sophomore at UCf in th efall and was thinking about joining a sorority. I don't really know much about the particular organizations and I have so many questions. I have heard mixed reactions from the few girls I know that are in sororities. One of them told me that all it really is is partying and drinking and if your not really into that you should not join, but a lot of people seem to say that it is so much more than that. I am not really that type that parties very often and I rarely drink, so ?I am wondering if mabe greek life is not for me? Also, what is rush like at UCf? from what one girl told me "it is the best week of your life that you never want to have happen again". I am not quite sure what she meant by this. Also, how much time does being in a sorority take up? Most of my close friends and my boyfriend are not involved in greek organizations and I want to make sure I will still have time for them... especially for my boyfriend- he is so worried that I will never have time for him and run off with a fraternity guy or something (which I wouldn't).
Sorry this is kinda long, but i foyu can answer any of my questions or just tell about sororities in general that would be great!!
Hi Ashley,

So glad to hear that you are thinking about rushing! First, I just want to make a few points...

Concerning the girls who have told you that sororities are only for partying and drinking: Quite honestly, if those are the only reasons that they're in a sorority, then they are in it for the wrong reasons and are probably not going to be the committed types of members that sororities want in their chapters. Don't listen to them, please! There is SO much more to a sorority than parties! A sorority is about lifelong friendships, developing leadership skills, learning time management, helping your community, and -- last but not least -- enjoying yourself socially.

It's true that there are events that may include alcohol such as formals or mixers with fraternities, but no one in ANY national organization is going to force you to drink, or make you feel uncomfortable for not doing so. If they do, then they are in the wrong and definitely in the minority -- and you should report them to the president of the organization!

As for how much time a sorority takes up: A sorority does require a lot of time. However, that doesn't mean that if you join an organization that you won't have time to do anything else. In my chapter, we had girls who played sports for the school, were in honor societies and/or religious organizations on campus and still had time to hold executive board positions in the sorority -- all while maintaining A averages in their classes!!

Being in a sorority is all about time management. There are some activities that are mandatory -- you must attend them in order to be an active member of your chapter. But there are many other events that are voluntary, and you have the option to decide whether or not you want to attend them. For example, if there is a social with a fraternity going on, but you have a test the next day, then you may opt to skip that social and attend the next one instead. Academics always come first -- sororities know that, and they want you to excel in your classes just as much as you do! And there are plenty of activities going on each semester -- so you won't feel like you're missing out by not attending every single one.

As for your boyfriend: Some guys get jealous because their girlfriends are in sororities. They don't like the fact that they are attending socials with fraternities and hanging out with other guys at events that they can't attend. However, if a guy is going to be that way, then, to me, that means that he doesn't trust me and that the relationship might not be the best one for me to be in.

I would explain to your guy that, yes, a sorority will be time-consuming, but that it won't change your feelings for him. Also, you can point out that there are MANY activities that he can attend such as date nights, formals and intramurals games. My boyfriend in college actually coached our softball team, and it was great because I got to do things with my sisters and him at the same time!

Finally, concerning Rush: The girl who said that rush week is the best week of your life that you never want to do over again is absolutely right!!! What she means is that going to the rush parties and meeting all the sisters is a BLAST, but that it's also very stressful and hectic because you have to do so much and meet so many people in such a short period of time. It's a lot of fun, and most girls love their rush experiences -- but it's also a lot of work, which is the part that they probably don't miss!

Good luck with whatever decision you make! And please feel free to ask me any questions you like, either here or in a PM.

dzrose93
Old 04-30-2002, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi Ashley! Welcome to Greek Chat!!
I am a UCF as a well as Chi Omega Alum. I just graduated last year. Joining a sorority was such a great experience for me. I definetly think you should give it a try.

At UCF, we have the following sororities: AD Pi, KD, ZTA, Tri Delta, DG, XO, Pi Phi, Theta, and AZD. This fall, Kappa is coming on to UCF. We were voted the #1 Greek System in the SouthEast and we're expanding really fast. Panhellenic will be mailing out applications for rush early in the summer, and letters of rec never hurt. It helps sets you apart since so many girls go through rush each year. Rush is hectic, you're constantly meeting people, and it lasts only a couple of days. Just be sure to be yourself and look for the group that you feel completely at home with.

As for the 'drinking and partying' - that's not all sorority life is all about. I know within my own organization, we pay a great deal of attention to all areas: scholarship, social, and sisterhood. I know in my personal experience, Chi O has helped me become a more well-rounded individual. I have also met my best friends through joining my sorority. I still live with two sisters, and am in constant contact with the other girls. To me, sorority life is more focused on the friendships. Sure, there will be those nights when you'll go out and party, but that's only one aspect of becoming Greek.
As for how much time a sorority takes up, really depends on you. I know there are mandatory events such as chapter that you go to every week. It's up to you how active you become. I personally was really active in my chapter bc I feel, "You get what you give." Since I was really active, I had tons of opportunities to meet the girls and make the memories. But while I was active, I was still able to maintain my grades, my job, and being friends with people that weren't Greek. It was such a great time and totally worth it to me.

UCF has great chapters with lots to offer. Good luck with your decision and feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Love-
XOALum
Old 04-30-2002, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Hello and welcome ...

if you have already done so, you may want to check out the UCF greek life web pages. Here's the link:

http://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~gogreek/

You might also want to check out the national web pages of each of the National Panhellenic groups on campus. They can all be accessed from the NPC web page:

http://www.npcwomen.org/memorg.htm

These are all a good source of information about sorority life and values. Good luck with recruitment this fall. Please keep us updated on your expirence, we all love recruitment stories.
Old 04-30-2002, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

XOalumXO- whats a letter of rec and how would I go about getting one??
Old 04-30-2002, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Ashley,

a rec is a letter of recommendation from a member of a sorority to a specific chapter. It basically introduces the potential new member (PNM) to the chapter and gives the chapter members more information about her than the bare bones that the application provides.

it technically isn't the responsibility of the PNM to get the recs, but it never hurts to ask friends, teachers, mothers of friends, relatives to see if they are greeks and would be willing to send a rec to the chapter.
Old 04-30-2002, 04:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks so much to everyone that has replied- you have been very helpful so far!!
Old 04-30-2002, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AZ-AlphaXi
Ashley,

a rec is a letter of recommendation from a member of a sorority to a specific chapter. It basically introduces the potential new member (PNM) to the chapter and gives the chapter members more information about her than the bare bones that the application provides.

it technically isn't the responsibility of the PNM to get the recs, but it never hurts to ask friends, teachers, mothers of friends, relatives to see if they are greeks and would be willing to send a rec to the chapter.
To add a little to the info given by AZ-AlphaXi:

A rec can be written by sorority alumnae only. An active member of the chapter you're rushing cannot write a rec for you. Also, the alumna who writes a rec can only send it to her sorority. She can't write one for any other sorority.

My suggestion is to get at least 1 or 2 recs for each sorority at UCF. That way, the girls will know a little bit more about you by the time you go through Rush. Recs don't guarantee a bid, but they can help you "stand out" from other rushees.

Good luck!
Old 05-21-2002, 12:26 AM
GreekChat Member

I was also wondering if anywat knows the UCF policy about living in the house... I have an off campus apartment that I was planning on staying in for the rest of college... Are members required to live in the house?
I was reading the thread on UF Rush and appears that it is very competitive at that school.. does anyone know how it is at UCF? Is is really competitive or more relaxed? I am just really nervous about rushing!
Old 05-21-2002, 01:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey Ashley! I'm a DG at UNF. Originally I'm from the Orlando area and I wanted to wish you good luck during rush and thank you for showing some initiative by researching and getting the facts before you go through. The DG chapters at UNF and UCF converse and help eachother out a great deal. Rush can get competative. A lot of girls will go through, but don't get discouraged. Hope things work out for you!
-Kelly
DELTA GAMMA
Eta Delta Chapter
Old 05-21-2002, 08:59 AM
GreekChat Member

UCF in itself is a rapidly growing university- last August, we were the 2nd largest (population-wise) university in Florida, 1st being UF. The Greek system here is growing with the school- and every rush, more girls show up. (When I went through- we had 7 sororities, now we're at 10- ZTAngel- correct me if I am wrong!!) Rush is competitive here, but don't let that scare you! Rush is a great time and you'll meet so many people. I am sure you'll find a place that you're completely at home with.

Last edited by XOAlumXO; 05-21-2002 at 09:02 AM.
Old 05-21-2002, 11:21 PM

It's the South so rush in general is usually very competitive. The larger Florida colleges have very competitive rushes (UF, FSU, UCF). The problem is that there are more girls coming through rush than there is space in the sororities. But, we are adding more. When I went through (and when XOAlumXO went through), there were only seven sororities. This year, there will be nine sororities participating in formal recruitment. The tenth sorority will be colonizing about a month later and will be doing an informal recruitment.
But, unlike many schools, we don't have a cap on the number of members in a pledge class. The pledge class size is not determined until prefs. UCF panhellenic divides the number of sororities by the number of women returning for prefs. That number gives the quota. This is why UCF tends to have very, very, very, very large pledge classes. Last year, quota was 67 and the year before it was 71! The good part about that is that the chance of girl to not get a bid at all (snap bidding included in this) is very low.
As for if you have to live in the house:
I am not aware of any UCF sorority that requires their members to live in the house. ZTA has the most rooms out of all sorority houses and there is only space for 40 girls. With a chapter of 180, there is no way we can have a requirement to live in the house! I know for sure that ADPi, KD, AZD, and Tri-Delta do not require the girls to live in the house and I am 99.9% sure Pi Phi doesn't either. So, you don't have to worry about that if you have an off-campus apartment.
UCF was voted as the number one greek system in the state of Florida!

Last edited by ZTAngel; 05-21-2002 at 11:24 PM.
Old 05-22-2002, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

The tenth sorority will be colonizing about a month later and will be doing an informal recruitment.

ZTAngel-- what does that mean? And how do they go about informal recruitment?
Sorry for all the questions
Old 05-22-2002, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi Ashley! Basically, what ZTAngel was referring to is how Kappa Kappa Gamma is colonizing at UCF this fall.
UCF will hold regular formal rush when all 9 sororities will be hosting parties, etc. Weeks later, Kappa will have their own rush. Kappa Nationals will come to UCF and invite girls to become founding sisters of a new sorority. Kappa will hold parties just like regular rush.
I know when Chi O colonized, in 1998, they had regular parties such as prefs (UF's XO chapter actually preffed the founding sisters) and ice waters(first day party), but they also held individual interviews with the National officers. I am not sure how exactly Kappa will do this, but I imagine it's similar to Chi Os colonization. Two years ago, Kappa Alpha Theta colonized on our campus.
I hope this helps!
Old 05-22-2002, 11:41 AM

Kappa Kappa Gamma will be added this fall. They will not be participating in formal recruitment (recruitment that begins the week before school begins). Instead, they will probably holding their recruitment about a month after the formal recruitment. Instead of having the PNM's go to their house and talk to the sisters and go from party to party (which is formal), Kappa will interview each girl separately to form their Founding Pledge Class. I'm not totally positive on how informal recruitment during colonization works. XOAlumXO might know a little bit more since her chapter colonized only a few years ago.