GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 916
2 members and 914 guests
KDKells, Xidelt

Old 01-04-2007, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Panhellenic President and National/Internl President

I'm not sure if this has been posted anywhere..or perhaps buried in another thread.

When a NPC sorority member is the Panhellenic President, the Natl/Intl President may be required to take the lead if there is a situation that calls for the NPC groups to decide something.

Are IFC and the BGLOs this way?
Old 01-04-2007, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDLynn View Post
I'm not sure if this has been posted anywhere..or perhaps buried in another thread.

When a NPC sorority member is the Panhellenic President, the Natl/Intl President may be required to take the lead if there is a situation that calls for the NPC groups to decide something.

Are IFC and the BGLOs this way?
I am not sure I understand what you are saying. Can you give an example?
Old 01-04-2007, 11:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Examples

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I am not sure I understand what you are saying. Can you give an example?
At a university in Michigan a few years ago, the dean of students told IFC and Panhellenic that if they wanted to have a Greek Week, they had to include all Greek Letter Organizations on campus. So, IFC and Panhellenic held their usual events but called it IFC/Panhellenic Games instead but had already ordered t-shirts that said Greek Week. As a result, they were in trouble with the Dean. The International/National President of the sorority that held the collegiate Panhellenic presidency became the primary contact with the Dean of Students to manage it.

Ditto at another University where the University tried to implement a laundry list of requirements for GLOs, including deferred recruitment, resident supervisors in every house, dry houses, etc. The International/National President of the organization that held the Collegiate Panhellenic presidency on campus became the contact for the VP of Student Life for the sororities on campus.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks, Sister Dee!
Old 01-05-2007, 07:39 AM
GreekChat Member

This would not happen for NPHC collegiate councils.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:13 AM
GreekChat Member

I can't imagine it would be that way with the IFC. I can't think of a situation where the Kappa Sig Int'l president would step in on a Greek system issue, unless it was a chapter closing or something of that nature.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
At a university in Michigan a few years ago, the dean of students told IFC and Panhellenic that if they wanted to have a Greek Week, they had to include all Greek Letter Organizations on campus. So, IFC and Panhellenic held their usual events but called it IFC/Panhellenic Games instead but had already ordered t-shirts that said Greek Week. As a result, they were in trouble with the Dean. The International/National President of the sorority that held the collegiate Panhellenic presidency became the primary contact with the Dean of Students to manage it.

Ditto at another University where the University tried to implement a laundry list of requirements for GLOs, including deferred recruitment, resident supervisors in every house, dry houses, etc. The International/National President of the organization that held the Collegiate Panhellenic presidency on campus became the contact for the VP of Student Life for the sororities on campus.
Are you saying this is an NPC requirement? B/c I just can't see our Nat'l President stepping in to handle something of the nature of the first example. This would fall to an Area Facilitator to handle. The second example, I could see more of a reason for the Nat'l Pres. to be involved...but first it would fall to the Area Facilitator, who would escalate it as needed.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXiD670 View Post
Are you saying this is an NPC requirement? B/c I just can't see our Nat'l President stepping in to handle something of the nature of the first example. This would fall to an Area Facilitator to handle. The second example, I could see more of a reason for the Nat'l Pres. to be involved...but first it would fall to the Area Facilitator, who would escalate it as needed.
I'm agreeing with you here.

(but I am not even close to an expert on NPC stuff).
Old 01-05-2007, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXiD670 View Post
In that particular instance, it escalated to that level. It was the first time I'd seen it escalate to that level (in almost 20 years of volunteering) and it was how I became aware of that guideline.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't ever recall hearing about a "guideline" like this while I was on Panhellenic exec. It seems more likely that if it were a campus issue, the local Panhellenic and/or chapter advisors/regional directors would step in. Advisors naturally speak for the sorority, so I just don't see why the international president would need to be involved.

For example, when I had to hold hearings for half of the sororities on campus (and IFC held hearings for a bunch of the fraternities) regarding things that happened on an "all greek ski trip," my own chapter included, our chapter advisor was involved, as were the advisors of the other sororities. I'm assuming the advisors relayed information to HQ or regional officers, but they never got involved.