GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,648
2 members and 1,646 guests
flamboyanttree, gatordeltapgh

Old 03-06-2013, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Spring Recruitment University of Alabama

I've been getting some invitations to some sororities and I am just curious what will be happening at these parties? Is it going to be like Preview Day was? Also, what should I wear?
Old 03-06-2013, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi bamagirl24,
Check out http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/
Everything you need to know about those parties, including what to wear, are on a couple of different threads.
The posters are very knowledgeable. One is a chapter adviser at Bama.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi bamagirl24,

You may also want to follow this blog for info -- there is a lot of information specific to Bama and some other SEC schools -- as well as general recruitment advice (recent and archived entries are on left):

http://sororitygirl101.com/

You might send your questions through the "contact us" page there to the mom who writes the blog -- she seems very helpful and knowledgeable about recruitment events at Bama. Maybe she will blog some advice pertaining to your questions. : )

Last edited by Hartofsec; 03-06-2013 at 10:35 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Maybe take your cue from the invitation itself (like, not cocktail if you're going bowling). And a call to the Greek Life office is a good bet also.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Voilà -- Sorority Girl 101 blog article of interest:

What to wear to Bama invite teas and parties??????

http://sororitygirl101.com/2013/03/1...s-and-parties/
Old 03-10-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
There has been a hewn cry
Lollers.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

33girl..snotty remarks are not acceptable (but are expected from some of the women who post here). The woman who your a making fun of is amazing!! She spend countless hours helping PNMS not only navigate recruitment at Alabama but at many different campuses across the US. She is "in the know" when it comes to recruitment and is a kind person (unlike some who post here). You can make fun of her if you would like but truth is she is a valuable resource to many young women. Being hateful and unkind does not shed a positive light on sororities or their alums. Many of us have been blessed to know and meet her and most certainly would not have had a positive recruitment experiences with out her!
Old 03-10-2013, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondmom View Post
33girl..snotty remarks are not acceptable (but are expected from some of the women who post here). The woman who your a making fun of is amazing!! She spend countless hours helping PNMS not only navigate recruitment at Alabama but at many different campuses across the US. She is "in the know" when it comes to recruitment and is a kind person (unlike some who post here). You can make fun of her if you would like but truth is she is a valuable resource to many young women. Being hateful and unkind does not shed a positive light on sororities or their alums. Many of us have been blessed to know and meet her and most certainly would not have had a positive recruitment experiences with out her!
Way to over-react there. I'm not sure that "lollers" counts as a "snotty remark" -- it's like a giggle or a laugh. Calm down D'Mom!
Old 03-10-2013, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondmom View Post
This may be the biggest exaggeration I have ever read.

How does "lollers" = being hateful? Hate is quite a strong word, let's not throw it around on something so trivial. Sheesh.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartofsec View Post
Voilà -- Sorority Girl 101 blog article of interest:

What to wear to Bama invite teas and parties??????

http://sororitygirl101.com/2013/03/1...s-and-parties/
I will not apologize for believing that if someone is going to hold themselves out as an expert on a topic and write a blog, that they should use correct punctuation, proper grammar, and check their spelling!! Is that just too damned much to ask? There is no excuse for sloppiness, like using "were" when "wear" is correct.

(God help me if there is a typo in this post!! )
Old 03-10-2013, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
I will not apologize for believing that if someone is going to hold themselves out as an expert on a topic and write a blog, that they should use correct punctuation, proper grammar, and check their spelling!! Is that just too damned much to ask? There is no excuse for sloppiness, like using "were" when "wear" is correct.

(God help me if there is a typo in this post!! )

I think she writes a very nice blog. If girls are looking for info on these parties, they probably appreciate the time she took to write the entry (cheerfully), even if she didn't have time to proof.

She certainly does appear to be an expert:

Quote:
I got up this morning and following my usual routine I logged onto Greek Chat http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217. If you haven’t been there it’s worth a look see but be WARNED!!!!! (especially if you choose to ask a question) the ladies who post there can be very caustic and sarcastic with their answers and responses. Still, there are some who are very knowledgeable about recruitment across the United States and if you can get past some of the “not so nice” remarks there is good info to be had.
http://sororitygirl101.com/2012/03/3...t-information/

Lollers.

!
Old 03-10-2013, 11:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Her expertise is from Alpha Phi at U. Puget Sound (1975?) and her daughters pledged in the SEC. She doesn't say where her daughters pledged or if she has done anything with Alpha Phi since then?
Old 03-10-2013, 11:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HQWest View Post
Her expertise is from Alpha Phi at U. Puget Sound (1975?) and her daughters pledged in the SEC. She doesn't say where her daughters pledged or if she has done anything with Alpha Phi since then?
Neither do most of the anonymous posters passing out advice on this site.

I haven't read all of her entries, though it appears that at least one of her daughters attends Bama.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Spent some time reading that blog. Conclusion: I think diamondmom=sorority girl. Same kind of writing style (phrasing, etc), same typo errors, same grammar and punctuation errors. Just too many similarities.

uh oh... Am I in trouble for going off topic?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 03-11-2013, 12:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Hmm.