GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,198
1 members and 1,197 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 12-12-2014, 07:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by honorgal View Post
It IS perplexing, I agree. Why not just say "yes, that is the point I was trying to make"?
Because such simplicity is wasted on people like you.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Is that suppose to be the same case that we were discussing earlier, the one that I posted as a "thought experiment"?
Why did you edit your post where you asserted it is clearly not the same case as the one you posted? Are you now uncertain?
Old 12-12-2014, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Why did you edit your post where you asserted it is clearly not the same case as the one you posted? Are you now uncertain?
I didn't. It's still there. I made another post. Because you didn't answer the first one.

Do you think it's the same case?
Old 12-12-2014, 07:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Do you think it's the same case?
Okay, I will give you that it is not the same case if, as the first news story reports, both the accuser and the accused graduated spring 2013. Got it. My apologies.

This is not an update of the investigation (if one even exists) but here is an interesting article that may have already been discussed in one of these threads:
http://mediamatters.org/blog/2014/07...orge-wi/199937

Lisa Sendrow has actually been a very active voice with quite a bit of stuff on the Internet.

Last edited by DrPhil; 12-12-2014 at 07:53 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Okay, I will give you that it is not the same case if, as the first news story reports, both the accuser and the accused graduated spring 2013. Got it. My apologies.

Appreciate that. I have a link to the successful lawsuit that was filed by the Swarthmore student if you are interested.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Are you pretending to have struggled to grasp this? How unfortunate.

Swarthmore update:

http://articles.philly.com/2014-12-04/news/56689201_1_new-information-assault-honors-student

I am not opposed to his filing a lawsuit if he maintains he was wrongfully accused and wrongfully punished by the school. As I said many threads ago, schools sometimes expel students to save their reputations even if an official investigation would yield inconclusive or find false allegations. This sometimes even happens when the accuser recants. Unfortunately, many of the accused in the bolded instance are unable to sue the school. I know one man in particular to whom this applies.
When you say "bolded instance" are you referring to the link you provided or something else that I'm missing?
Old 12-12-2014, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

My apologies. I confused it with another case. In the Sendrow Swarthmore case, both students graduated shortly after the complaint, and the victim is unaware what, if anything, happened to the alleged offender after that. So we don't know if there was any punishment.

http://www.phillymag.com/articles/ra...xual-assaults/
Old 12-12-2014, 11:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low D Flat View Post
My apologies. I confused it with another case. In the Sendrow Swarthmore case, both students graduated shortly after the complaint, and the victim is unaware what, if anything, happened to the alleged offender after that. So we don't know if there was any punishment.

http://www.phillymag.com/articles/ra...xual-assaults/
No problem. It's hard to keep the details straight especially because a lot of them sound depressingly similar.

I would think in order for there to have been a punishment in the Sendrow case, there would first need to have been an investigation which would require her testimony/involvement. But who knows. Maybe they've bowed to the extremists wishes and all they need is an allegation and they skip straight to a finding of guilt.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
How we accidentally teach children that consent doesn't matter.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:22 PM
Banned

Thank you, DBB.

There are so many ways society accidentally and sometimes intentionally teaches children and adults that their bodies are not their own, that they have no control over life outcomes, and that they are obligated to show attention and affection.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thank you, DBB.

There are so many ways society accidentally and sometimes intentionally teaches children and adults that their bodies are not their own, that they have no control over life outcomes, and that they are obligated to show attention and affection.
Yes, another one is minimizing any sort of roughhousing or contact among children...I think I read a similar article that talked about a girl whose pigtails were regularly pulled by a classmate, and the teacher laughed if off as "boys will be boys."
Old 12-13-2014, 06:23 PM
Banned

I agree in terms of nonconsensual and unreciprocated roughhousing and contact among children.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I agree in terms of nonconsensual and unreciprocated roughhousing and contact among children.
Oh, right, I meant minimizing complaints of roughhousing, i.e. when it's reported to an adult, the adult brushes it off.