GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,128
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, baadamashtolzea
» Online Users: 1,448
2 members and 1,446 guests
No Members online

Old 06-28-2012, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

That makes sense I guess, luckily I always do my research on these type of things, but I know there's many PNMs who don't understand the importance of having recs. Thanks for the answers
Old 06-28-2012, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Panhellenic does not require recommendations from a PNM for her to participate in recruitment.
This with Bold for emphasis!

You can participate without a rec but the likelihood of getting a bid is a whole other matter
Old 06-28-2012, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
WCJane, Please let us know how everything works out. Good luck!
Thank you very much and I will. If you don't hear back from me it means I didn't get a bid and I may be drowning my sorrows in ice cream and chocolate.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:09 PM

I am a graduate of Oklahoma State and an adviser. You need recs. Period.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Irishpipes-I was hoping you would be able to join in the discussion.

Something else I just thought about, It would behoove all PNMs at any school to explore each chapter's website at their school. Most often, if you look under the "recruitment" link on ABC sorority's website at University of State, and they have a statement somewhere on there about where to mail recommendations or provide a link where alumnae can access recommendation forms, you need them. That is not to say that you don't if none of the chapters at your school list an address for recs. To the BamaPM, I have seen chapters at Bama list the address to send recs.-perhaps it is their way of counteracting the political correctness of Panhellenic?

Last edited by FSUZeta; 06-28-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
. To the BamaPM, I have seen chapters at Bama list the address to send recs.-perhaps it is their way of counteracting the political correctness of Panhellenic?
Yes the chapters each make the address for recs readily available, also when we visited the houses during preview weekend one of the chapters straight up told us that for their sorority a rec is required, so I thought that was a good thing for them to do. I mean if you look beyond what panhellenic says and do the slightest bit of research you can find out recs are necessary, however I know not all PNMs do their research. For many girls I think the scenario is that they can find 10 alumnae willing to do a rec but have a hard time finding the other 6, so since panhellenic says they aren't required they ignore those 6 thinking it wont ruin their chances.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

Well, it is good that you are in the know! Good luck to you-please let us hear from you.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well, it is good that you are in the know! Good luck to you-please let us hear from you.
Thank you very much! I will make sure to keep all of you helpful people updated!!
Old 06-28-2012, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
I am a graduate of Oklahoma State and an adviser. You need recs. Period.
Short and sweet. Thank you.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

My daughter will be a PNM this fall. She is coming from out of state, and intends to have recs for all 12 houses. She knows only one girl in one house, where she is a legacy. She has a good resume, and will be using her GPA from jr college summer school, because it is higher than high school. Any tips on how to have the best week possible without having any connections in any of the houses?
Old 06-29-2012, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

She should put her best foot forward, appear interested in all the sororities and roll with the punches. We usually get to see the bid lists (I think they are published in the Stillwater paper and someone kindly posts them on GC) and it looks like out of state girls do alright.

Someone (perhaps 33girl) gave a wonderful piece of advice to a PNM who has not having as fabulous recruitment as she thought she should have been. 33 said that when she gets her party list everyday, she needs to reassess and chose a favorite from her list-there is no need to mourn the fact that her previous favorite had not invited her back. It's a new day, with a new list, new possibilities and (hopefully) a new favorite.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
We usually get to see the bid lists (I think they are published in the Stillwater paper and someone kindly posts them on GC) and it looks like out of state girls do alright.
I copied and pasted the list, did a pivot table and:

OK - 453
TX - 220
KS - 22
AR - 10
MO - 10
IL - 5
CA - 4
CO - 3
NM - 3
AZ - 2
IN - 2
KY - 2
PA - 2
AL - 1
FL - 1
GA - 1
MA - 1
NE - 1
SC - 1
TN - 1

It's a good thing my daughter already knows I'm a little OCD because this would embarrass her. (I'm going to delete my Internet history after this.)
Old 06-29-2012, 09:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalparent View Post
I copied and pasted the list, did a pivot table and:

It's a good thing my daughter already knows I'm a little OCD because this would embarrass her. (I'm going to delete my Internet history after this.)
It's okay, you're not the first to do it, and won't be the last. Pretty much any time a big SEC school puts up a bid list, someone crunches the numbers.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks SoCal and FSUZeta. This helps a lot.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenTooLong View Post
will be using her GPA from jr college summer school, because it is higher than high school.
Are you certain this will be allowed? All of the schools I am familiar with require the high school GPA of incoming freshman. I would hate for her to be in a situation where the stated GPA on her application does not jibe with what's provided by the school or in her recommendations. Frankly, it also makes her look like she's trying to hide something.

Last edited by Greek_or_Geek?; 06-29-2012 at 11:02 PM.