GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 2,378
2 members and 2,376 guests
MSKKG

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-09-2017, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking A CrossFit Recruitment!

Hey all! A young women I am close to is presently going through recruitment at a midwest school with a small-to-medium sized sorority system. She is a sophomore and didn't know much about Greek Life last year when she started at this school, but made friends in several chapters last year and started getting interested. Between that, knowing of my involvement, and watching some of her friends love Greek Life she decided it's time to join the fray.

PNM and I share an interest in CrossFit, so I will refer to her as "Dottir" because a few of her favorite athletes are from Iceland and have last names that end in Dottir (like Thorisdottir or Davidsdottir). I'll refer to the chapters as famous CrossFit benchmark workouts!

1) Fran
2) Isabelle
3) Grace
4) Cindy
5) Murph

As I said before, Dottir is a sophomore. She has VERY high grades - almost a 4.0 - belongs to some significant campus orgs and held and extremely prestigious internship last semester as a freshman that normally would go to a junior, and is very personable. She had a reference to Grace but not to others because references aren't huge at her school and she also decided late in the game to go through recruitment.

Dottir says that the format for recruitment is 5-4-2 as far as she knows, but she then heard conflicting information about whether she could attend up to 3 prefs or just 2 prefs. So it might be 5-4-3 but we both doubt it.

Prior to recruitment, Dottir had a few friends in Grace and Cindy which gave her somewhat of a preference going in, but I explained to her she has 5 great NPCs on her campus any of which can be good. I explained the whole maximizing options and privilege associated with getting any bid (especially as a sophomore) so that helped her attitude.

Night one, Friday, was Philanthropy night. Dottir was SO SO excited to start recruitment that she woke up extra early that day and texted me a few times about how she was so ready to start. She reported for recruitment at around 3pm and after she got checked in they took phones away which made her crazy. Fortunately they gave her notebooks!

First up was Murph. Dottir said that Murph is the smallest chapter and a lot of the girls were quiet and conversations were not so great, which is a bummer for her first event. She wasn't super interested in their philanthropy but said some of the girls were very excited about it which was great. Even though Murph was a little rocky, she said that she could tell the likelihood of being able to have a leadership position in the near future that made a real difference was high - very important for her since she is already a sophomore with leadership experience on campus.

Next was Cindy. At Cindy, she was cleverly picked up by a girl she had JUST MET earlier that day at an orientation meeting for a campus group they are both in. Cindy's philanthropy is something that is very dear to her as it focuses on empowering young girls. She enjoyed all her conversations at Cindy and feels comfortable with them because of other friends and acquaintances she met last year.

Dottir's third event was at Fran. She doesn't know very many people from Fran - just people she had seen in classes last year so she didn't have an impression of them. Fran's philanthropy relates to medical research for a condition a close family member has which really stood out, and the women she met were fun to talk to. She did feel that Fran might be a little more prim/proper than she is but still enjoyed her time there.

She visited Isabelle next. She didn't really now any Isabelles from last year so she had virtually no impression of them - hard for a sophomore to see any house as a blank slate so this is great in my opinion! One of the Isabelles she talked to has 2 classes with her this semester and talked about some common interests that are not on the radar of most young women in college so Dottir loved that.

Finally, Dottir went to Grace. Grace is considered an awesome house on this campus and is the house where Dottir has the most friends. Grace also had a philanthropy that Dottir is very interested in due to connection with family and friends. Although it was the last event of the day and most people would be tired (PNMs and actives alike) she said some of her very best conversations were at Grace and she felt energized after the event.

After all the events, Dottir's said all the houses except Murph were super fun, that recruitment in general is a ton of fun, and she can't wait to go back tomorrow.

She ranked as follows:

1) Fran
1) Isabelle
1) Grace
1) Cindy
2) Murph

Day 2 is this evening, and neither of us can wait!