GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,464
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, zmaondarko7769
» Online Users: 2,504
1 members and 2,503 guests
flamboyanttree

Old 07-06-2012, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post
If the guys are wearing jackets and khakis, then by definition, it isn't a formal wedding. Formality is defined by the menswear. Women's dresses are much more fluid; the same slip gown might work on the beach with guys in shorts or at the Plaza with guys in white tie.
Within reason, sure.

However, the bride looks to have on a ball gown. One of the groomsmen has on khaki shorts. It's too much.

Either the guys need to dress up more, or the bride should dress down more.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-06-2012, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post
If the guys are wearing jackets and khakis, then by definition, it isn't a formal wedding. Formality is defined by the menswear. Women's dresses are much more fluid; the same slip gown might work on the beach with guys in shorts or at the Plaza with guys in white tie.
As in black tie, white tie, and morning dress.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
As in black tie, white tie, and morning dress.
If groomsmen are wearing blazers and khakis, the event is semi-formal. The bride should be in a cocktail dress or similar.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDCat View Post
If groomsmen are wearing blazers and khakis, the event is semi-formal. The bride should be in a cocktail dress or similar.
I didn't say she was dressed apparently or not, just that traditionally, menswear dictates the formality (style).

As such, I agree with you that since the groomsmen are wearing blazers and khakis, the event is semi-formal. Having said that, I think there is more leeway in women’s fashion such that a bride may elect to wear what she feels appropriate. At least it seems so here in California (and at weddings at the beach). So while some may think her choice is tacky or a wedding faux pas, it is supposedly “her day” and within her "right" to wear something more "traditional".

By the way, at this link are some examples of “Beach Wedding Dresses” from WeddingDress.com.

Most are full length (as is the example ^^) and are rather similar (i.e. casual) to what is pictured below in the upper left corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Old 07-06-2012, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Apologies for the double post. In full disclosure, I really don’t know much about wedding outfits/gowns etc.

But it so happens that good friends of mine are getting married later this month on the beach. And just this past weekend, a few us who will be attending had a discussion with the bride and groom as to “what to wear”. The invite says “casual” but “beach semi-formal” wear was also suggested. I sure as heck did not know what “beach semi-formal” meant so we looked it up for examples. That is where I saw the "Beach Wedding Dresses" noted above.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The invite says “casual” but “beach semi-formal” wear was also suggested. I sure as heck did not know what “beach semi-formal” meant so we looked it up for examples.
Lol...I hate dress codes that are meant to be "helpful" but actually create more confusion.

My sister's first husband worked for a huge "swanky" law firm that hosted frequent social events. They had a very creative, in-house events planner who was was adept at creating new dress code directions for each invitation. My sister was always trying to interpret what this woman meant by: "Country Club Whimsical" or "Snappy Chic Semi-Formal" or "Fun Formal". My sister thought she did it on purpose to drive everyone nuts and see what the wives would turn up in.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Within reason, sure.

However, the bride looks to have on a ball gown. One of the groomsmen has on khaki shorts. It's too much.

Either the guys need to dress up more, or the bride should dress down more.
It bears mentioning that those composite photos may not be from the same wedding, but rather could be a Frankenstein's monster of weddings that "matched."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
Lol...I hate dress codes that are meant to be "helpful" but actually create more confusion.

My sister's first husband worked for a huge "swanky" law firm that hosted frequent social events. They had a very creative, in-house events planner who was was adept at creating new dress code directions for each invitation. My sister was always trying to interpret what this woman meant by: "Country Club Whimsical" or "Snappy Chic Semi-Formal" or "Fun Formal". My sister thought she did it on purpose to drive everyone nuts and see what the wives would turn up in.
Funny, but true. I blame pinterest. Don't make up some wackadoo dress code name when what you're looking for is easily defined by pre-existing dress codes. It's unfortunate because the people that make these up are probably trying to convey that their guests can have a little bit of fun with their attire, and are only succeeding in stressing them out for having to decipher "Prohibition Paddy Wagon Chic."
Old 07-07-2012, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
"Prohibition Paddy Wagon Chic."
Now that sounds like a fun party!
Old 07-07-2012, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I didn't say she was dressed apparently or not, just that traditionally, menswear dictates the formality (style).

As such, I agree with you that since the groomsmen are wearing blazers and khakis, the event is semi-formal. Having said that, I think there is more leeway in women’s fashion such that a bride may elect to wear what she feels appropriate. At least it seems so here in California (and at weddings at the beach). So while some may think her choice is tacky or a wedding faux pas, it is supposedly “her day” and within her "right" to wear something more "traditional".

The reality is, though, that the bride tells the groom and the groomsmen what to wear 99% of the time. And if she's going to wear a full length dress with a poofy skirt, she should tell them to dress up more. The simple dress you posted that is full length is a little formal, but not too bad for a semi-formal wedding. I'd pass it, although it would be perfect if it were ankle length instead of floor length.

The bride can absolutely wear whatever she wants. If it gets posted to the intertubes, though, mean old ladies who are total strangers are going to snark on it. (I'd never snark at a real wedding, but wedding pictures on the internet are fair game.)
Old 07-09-2012, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The reality is, though, that the bride tells the groom and the groomsmen what to wear 99% of the time. And if she's going to wear a full length dress with a poofy skirt, she should tell them to dress up more. The simple dress you posted that is full length is a little formal, but not too bad for a semi-formal wedding. I'd pass it, although it would be perfect if it were ankle length instead of floor length.

The bride can absolutely wear whatever she wants. If it gets posted to the intertubes, though, mean old ladies who are total strangers are going to snark on it. (I'd never snark at a real wedding, but wedding pictures on the internet are fair game.)
KDCat. You can be my "plus one" and snark all you like. Part of the fun in attending weddings are those "What was she/he thinking?" moments. Well, that and the free booze and food.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:52 PM
GreekChat Member

This thread (along with all the other wedding threads) is making me want to renew my vows, so we can actually have the wedding I want, and not the wedding I felt backed into. Do we have a thread on renewals? We may just need one. LOL.

Warning: The above post may be dripping in sarcasm and full of smartassedness.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Quote:
I know this is an old thread, but...

Blue blazers and khaki pants for a formal wedding?

What was the bride thinking?
Are you refering to the group of guys in the second picture from the top?

They are not wearing khaki pants.

Those are shorts!