GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Up & Coming National GLOs

Up & Coming National GLOs This area is for discussion of issues affecting GLOs which are larger than a local, yet are still growing into a national GLO.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,394
0 members and 1,394 guests
No Members online

Old 04-08-2012, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

New Chapter - Alpha Sigma Phi

There's a new fraternity on my campus (Alpha Sigma Phi) that I've been rushing, and am considering pledging soon. It's apparently up-and-coming in the National sense, but it's far from new. Founded in Yale in 1845, it's a very old national fraternity and has been on my campus before, but they're just now rechartering. Can anyone let me know if there are any chapters on their campus, and how their status is overall?

Last edited by YYtheGDIs?; 04-09-2012 at 12:14 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-08-2012, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYtheGDIs? View Post
Can anyone let me know if there are any chapters on their campus, and how their status is overall?
We don't discuss "statuses" or chapter reputations on GreekChat.

Alpha Sigma Phi is a great fraternity with lots of tradition. Focus less on perceived "status" on other campuses -- that varies with every fraternity -- and more on whether you see yourself being brother to the members of the chapter on your campus.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Good point, MysticCat. I agree completely; what I'm basically trying to ask (and I phrased this badly, I admit) while the individual chapter's reputation is up them, I was wondering how well their national chapter would be able to support and culture this growth they're apparently experiencing. I know they've spread relatively rapidly recently, but I'm just wondering how these new chapters are looking at other schools.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:31 PM
GreekChat Member

And that is not an answer we can give you even if we were inclined to. I can see your reasons for asking, but honestly, why care if your chapter is one that is successful?
Old 04-09-2012, 09:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYtheGDIs? View Post
Good point, MysticCat. I agree completely; what I'm basically trying to ask (and I phrased this badly, I admit) while the individual chapter's reputation is up them, I was wondering how well their national chapter would be able to support and culture this growth they're apparently experiencing. I know they've spread relatively rapidly recently, but I'm just wondering how these new chapters are looking at other schools.
Alpha Sig does indeed seem to be pursuing expansion quite agressively. I understand the reason for your question, but the reality is that it is likely that only other Alpha Sigs can give you any reliable information about how their national organization is supporting the colonies and interest groups.

As for how the colonies and new chapters seem to outsiders in terms of strength or how well they are doing, understand that that has as much (if not more) to do with the members of the chapters, as well as local alumni support, as it does with nationals. Chapters with strong members will do well.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

And although I don't know anything about this fraternity in particular, both sororities and fraternities are all growing quickly lately because of the explosion in interest nationwide. They kind of have to make hay while the sun shines. This fraternity has a long and hallowed tradition so even if they do have some failures over the coming years, (it's inevitable for some expansion and contraction over time) I don't think you can single out any given sorority and fraternity for future trouble based solely on their current rate of expansion.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:08 AM

Can a mod please move this thread to a more appropriate forum? Alpha Sigma Phi, at a ripe old 167 years of age and founded at an Ivy League school, can hardly be defined as "up and coming."