GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,143
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, liscahvs8263
» Online Users: 1,241
0 members and 1,241 guests
No Members online

Old 06-30-2011, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

University of Arizona Recruitment Fall 2011

Hi, I am going to be a freshman at the University of Arizona this fall and I am participating in Recruitment Week. I was wondering what to wear and what to definitely not wear? And how vital recommendation letters are?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-30-2011, 05:38 PM

Read:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=115020

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks, I read through all the threads, they were definitely helpful. Any other advice you could give?
Old 06-30-2011, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Hopefully AZ Alpha Xi and AZTheta can provide you with some insightful tips.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
With 1200 PNMs going thru recruitment at UofArizona, recs for every chapter are vital. Use the search function to find suggestions on how to obtain recs.

What to wear? Remember that it will be HOT during recruitment, for most rounds casual and cool is the recommended attire. Here's the UofA web page that talks about the rounds and what to wear. As usual with a competitive recruitment, you should consider dressing a notch above the suggestion.

http://arizonagreek.orgsync.com/org/pan/recruitment
Old 07-01-2011, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

So it seams like dress to impress and do everything possible to stand out and make an impression.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieGirl220 View Post
So it seams like dress to impress and do everything possible to stand out and make an impression.
Well, yes, but think "dress to impress" girls not boys, and try to stand out in a good way, not the "oh that was the girl with the giant red bow on her head." Wear a piece of jewelry or use accessories (sunglasses, belt, bag, shoes etc.) that express your interests or personality or maybe reflect somewhere you've traveled or would like to travel.

You could drive yourself crazy trying to make the "right" impression when what you really want to do is be your best and true self.

Try out the shorts and short skirts/dresses and make sure you can sit comfortably in a chair, on a sofa, and possibly even on the floor without giving a free show.

True Lives to Live From Day to Day

Old 07-03-2011, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks crescent&pearls that actually some of the most helpful advice I've gotten! I just have to remember to be myself.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent&pearls View Post
Well, yes, but think "dress to impress" girls not boys, and try to stand out in a good way, not the "oh that was the girl with the giant red bow on her head."
lolol!
Old 07-05-2011, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

I would also make sure your shoes are comfortable. Obviously don't wear 5 buck flip flops from Old Navy, but you're going to be walking.

From memory, Mountain has Pi Phi, Theta, and AEPhi. 1st street has ADPi, Alpha Phi, DG, Chi-O, and SK. Tri-Delt and Gamma Phi are on the street that I can't think of the name of (2nd I think). Either way, the houses are a bit closer together. SK and Chi-O used to be off the main row.

1. comfy shoes
2. water (super important in AZ)
3. pen (to write down your impressions after each round)

Advice
1. Keep your options open. U of A has AMAZING chapters! If you keep an open mind, you will probably (I won't say definitely because I can't) find your home.

2. Don't listen to tent talk. Very simple. Think for yourself, not for what every other PNM is saying. You're the only one who has to live with your decision. Your fellow PNM's don't.

3. With 1200 girls going through recruitment, get Rec's. Contact old teachers, family friends, etc.. They might either be greek, or know someone who is greek. Contact the Panhellenic Association. If you are in Phoenix I know there is one there. They might be able to direct you to someone.

4. Please make sure you understand the financial commitments of chapters at U of A. When I was there (back in the day) most, if not all, chapters had a live in requirement. This is probably the case for most of the chapters now. Because of the houses, this does increase the cost of membership (this isn't counting your first time fees as a new member). This advice is coming from first hand experience, I went into recruitment not really understanding how much the chapters were.
Please discuss the financial commitment with your parents, especially if you want them to help you. Again, personal experience I went through recruitment without the support of my parents and they really didn't want to help me pay for ADPi.

5. And last, I and everyone on greek chat cannot stress enough to PNM's, keep an open mind.

Good Luck!

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 07-05-2011, 12:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUADPi View Post

From memory, Mountain has Pi Phi, Theta, and AEPhi. 1st street has ADPi, Alpha Phi, DG, Chi-O, and SK. Tri-Delt and Gamma Phi are on the street that I can't think of the name of (2nd I think). Either way, the houses are a bit closer together. SK and Chi-O used to be off the main row.
Edit: G Phi is also on 1st St.; add Kappa, on 2nd St. across from the parking garage. All the chapters are close together. It's still hotter than hell and can be somewhat humid (ducks as all my Southern and Midwestern friends start chattering about humidity).

The rest of your post was Spot ON.

The UofA Office of Greek Life has a publication, The Bond, available online and it talks about all the chapters and recruitment. It also contains financial information about each chapter. Yes, there is a live-in requirement for chapters.

As the time gets closer, the website might post photos of suggested attire.

First round - please be cute, not sloppy. I've seen PNMs in Daisy Dukes and plastic flip flops. Not a good impression.

Good luck! If you maximize your options and keep an open mind, chances are good that you'll find your home.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
Edit: G Phi is also on 1st St.; add Kappa, on 2nd St. across from the parking garage. All the chapters are close together. It's still hotter than hell and can be somewhat humid (ducks as all my Southern and Midwestern friends start chattering about humidity).

The rest of your post was Spot ON.

The UofA Office of Greek Life has a publication, The Bond, available online and it talks about all the chapters and recruitment. It also contains financial information about each chapter. Yes, there is a live-in requirement for chapters.

As the time gets closer, the website might post photos of suggested attire.

First round - please be cute, not sloppy. I've seen PNMs in Daisy Dukes and plastic flip flops. Not a good impression.

Good luck! If you maximize your options and keep an open mind, chances are good that you'll find your home.
That's right Gamma Phi is on 1st. Duh me.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 07-06-2011, 02:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey RosieGirl I'm Going Through Recruitment This Fall At The UofA Too!
Old 07-06-2011, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUADPi View Post

2. Don't listen to tent talk. Very simple. Think for yourself, not for what every other PNM is saying. You're the only one who has to live with your decision. Your fellow PNM's don't.
This should pop up as a banner on every single recruitment thread that gets generated on this site.

(Okay, not really, but this is SO TRUE.)

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Wohoo an Arizona recruitment thread! I went through recruitment last year and had so much fun. So many memories! I can honestly say that all the chapters are sooo great. So keep an open mind and you will be happy wherever you end up. Feel free to read my recruitment story (in my signature) if you want. And PM me with any questions.

As for clothing, you have to find a way to dress conservative, without getting too hot. Because it WILL be hott. Skirts are the best because its hard to over heat in them. Just don't pick one thats too short. You're impressing girls, not boys.

Also, they give you plastic bags to carry all your stuff around in. You're not allowed to have your own bag. But you can put anything in the plastic baggie that you want. I suggest bringing a comb. The heat will mess up your hair in between parties. I had a comb with me, and all the other girls said it was such a good idea and they wished they had brought one. Coffee filters are great for getting rid of sweat. But most of the RC's will be carrying that kind of thing around with them.

Oh, and recommendation letters are necessary but it won't be the end of the world if you don't have them. Recruitment at U of A is competitive and everyone told me I needed recs for every chapter. I ended up getting 2 recs for every chapter which helped. But I know girls who didn't even know what recs were and they had no problem getting invited back to houses. There's so many different factors, recommendation letters are just one of them.

Okay and finally, my most important piece of advice: Do not drop out of recruitment because you are unhappy with the houses you were invited back to. The only reason I think is acceptable to drop out is if you just feel greek life isn't for you. Don't drop out because you don't like the houses that liked you. There really aren't as many cuts as everyone thinks. It is mostly just girls who drop out.