GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,265
0 members and 1,265 guests
No Members online

Old 02-08-2000, 11:45 AM
Christina99

Question Which are Dry Sororities?

Hello I'm hoping to start a new dry sorority at UC Berkeley. Does anyone know of any pre-existing sororities that I can start a new chapter of?

Please email me at chrysa@hotmail.com because I'm not registered here.

Thanks!

--Christina
Old 02-08-2000, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Christina -

All 26 National Panhellenic Conference sororities are by definition "dry" - they do not allow alcohol at sorority sponsored functions and alcohol is not allowed in sorority sponsored housing.

For a list of these groups and links to their home pages, see: http://www.greeklife.org/npc/members.htm

------------------
Fraternally,
Barbara
Zeta Tau Alpha Alumna

If you have to go around telling everyone you're in charge you're not much of a leader.

Old 02-08-2000, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Like Barb said, all 26 national Sororities are "dry" However, that is at sorority functions(fundraisers, projects, community service, meetings, etc.) Also, all housing is dry. Sororities and Frats often have parties(socials). Which are not sponsored by either org. No alcohol is purchased with sorority funds(not allowed). It is more like a "get-together." In this case the only "dry" sorority I know of is Sigma Sigma Sigma. No alcoholic socials. If you need clarifications e-mail me @ dzkm433@investorville.com
Old 02-08-2000, 11:31 PM

Talking

My sorority is Ceres women's fraternity. We are an international group but not yet part of the national panhell group as mentioned before in this post. I concider my sorority dry. We have a very strict alcohol policy which the other chapters on this campus just have the normal panhell policies. Which is one of the reasons I joined.
1. All chapter housing is completely dry
2. We must have an alcohol education program each semester
3. We can only have alcohol if
It is a cash bar properly licenced, ect.
only members who are 21 or over and have attened the alcohol awarness program can drink
There is no BYOB at all
And the event must be voted on and approved by 2/3 of members and pledges at a regular meeting before the event.
Ect that is the jist of it.
The no BYOB is what makes us different from most around here.
If you have any questions email me from the web site http://www.wku.edu/~ceres/
good luck
Old 02-09-2000, 10:32 AM

Exclamation

Hi Christina:

If you want to have a TRULY dry sorority, that is the members do not make alcohol a part of their lives at all, then your best bet is to start your own. I think there is a dry fraternity called Sigma Chi Lambda, but don’t quote me on that.

I don’t consider the NPC sororities “dry” by any means – the members still go to parties and bars. Just because it isn’t a “sponsored” event, I don’t think the sororities should call themselves dry. To do so is misleading to people who are looking for a completely alcohol-free way of life.
Old 02-10-2000, 01:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ElleDelta3
At my school Kappa Kappa Gamma, and Delta Gamma are dry now, but in the fall all the following national sororities will be dry: Alpha Phi, Gamma Phi Beta, Delta Delta Delta, Alpha Eplison Phi, Alpha Chi Omega, Chi Omega, Pi Beta Phi, and Kappa Alpha Theta. There could be more now, but I am prett sure that by this fall they will all be dry.
Old 02-10-2000, 02:35 PM
Carey

ElleDelta3:

which school do you go to
Old 02-14-2000, 12:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ElleDelta3
Carey
I go to University of Wisconsin Madison
Old 03-04-2000, 08:28 AM
GreekChat Member

I think the big point to take away from all of this is that it doesn't matter what group you colonize with, you can choose to make it an absolutely dry chapter by recruiting members with that in mind. You can put it in your chapter constitution!

Contact NPC like any other "interest group" would and let them know that you would like to start a "dry chapter". I bet you'll get a lot of positive response from those groups who are accepting extension opportunities right now. I know that my International sorority is. Feel free to contact me with questions.