GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,338
0 members and 2,338 guests
No Members online

Old 08-13-2005, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

She actually resigned her membership a couple of years ago, and has NO right to be wearing those letters.

Johanna Botta initiated with the Sorority in November, 2001, but she voluntarily resigned her membership on March 12, 2004. Her membership was terminated later that year. As a part of her signed resignation, Botta agreed in writing: “I will no longer wear the Sorority’s insignia.” Accordingly, Ms. Botta is not entitled to identify herself as a member of Gamma Phi Beta or to wear identifying letters or insignia.

Last edited by mania 72; 08-13-2005 at 09:27 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-13-2005, 11:02 PM

Is anyone planning on doing something about this??? I don't know if someone was wearing my letteers/insignia and wasn't allowed too I would be pretty upset. Maybe its really not that big a deal.
Old 08-13-2005, 11:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I think they are all idiots. Man, this show has gone WAY downhill since I started watching it sometime around San Francisco. I don't need to watch a bunch of dumbass kids get drunk and have sex.... That is not the real world- it is a fantasy land.

Also, I live in Austin. There is SO much wonderful stuff to do and see here, and yet they show more of 6th street than anything else.

I have decided no more watching this show. I have better things to do.

*Getting off soapbox now. Sorry*
Old 08-13-2005, 11:28 PM
GreekChat Member

eeeh-haaaa.
need i say more. austin is one of the more upscale areas in the state. the standard opening is eeeeh-haaa in the back of a pickup.
that doesn't wash in the state capitol.
they should be a bit embarrased.
Old 08-13-2005, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mmcat
eeeh-haaaa.
need i say more. austin is one of the more upscale areas in the state. the standard opening is eeeeh-haaa in the back of a pickup.
that doesn't wash in the state capitol.
they should be a bit embarrased.
I HATE that they are feeding into the stereotypes of Texas. I've lived here my whole life and can't remember the last time I said "Yeehaw".

Quote:
Is anyone planning on doing something about this??? I don't know if someone was wearing my letteers/insignia and wasn't allowed too I would be pretty upset. Maybe its really not that big a deal.
I would be upset if she were wearing MY letters.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by whittleschmeg
The info mania 72 posted is a portion of the letter that our IH sent out to members. The entire text can be found in our forum in the Real World thread.

But they are well aware of the situation though I am not sure what was done about it (since it's a taped show and taping is finished).
Old 08-14-2005, 01:37 AM
GreekChat Member

I wonder how many other "famous" members had resigned but the sorority comes back around when there is a little name recognition involved. I know of at least one...
Old 08-14-2005, 02:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally posted by mania 72
Johanna Botta initiated with the Sorority in November, 2001, but she voluntarily resigned her membership on March 12, 2004. Her membership was terminated later that year. As a part of her signed resignation, Botta agreed in writing: “I will no longer wear the Sorority’s insignia.” Accordingly, Ms. Botta is not entitled to identify herself as a member of Gamma Phi Beta or to wear identifying letters or insignia.
If this is true, perhaps it's intended to be an insult.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 08-14-2005, 02:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by roqueemae
I wonder how many other "famous" members had resigned but the sorority comes back around when there is a little name recognition involved. I know of at least one...
like who?
Old 08-14-2005, 10:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KLPDaisy
like who?
Done but now everyone who quoted had to delete as well

Last edited by roqueemae; 08-14-2005 at 10:40 PM.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Once upon a time, a girl from my school pledged a sorority. She was a pageant queen and very popular. She had a bit of a drug problem and quite a list of sexual partners. One of the Fraternity houses calls a room that she frequented the "*** ****** Gang Bang Room". After her chapter had enough, she was asked to resign from the sorority. She went on to have a low level of fame as a spokeswoman and some might consider her a b-list actress at best. I now see her listed as a Famous Alumna of this sorority and it always confuses me. The chapter on campus will never mention her name, but the national organization does.
That's a little different from Johanna's case then. In this case, the sorority acknowledges the girl as a member. In Johanna's case, she chooses to identify herself as a member of Gamma Phi Beta, while the sorority says that she is no longer a member.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

I know it is a little different but I am still highly offended when women do not take the commitment to her fraternity as seriously as I. And then to flaunt it on TV. I would be a pissed off member
Old 08-14-2005, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by preciousjeni
If this is true, perhaps it's intended to be an insult.
I agree...a big f-u to G Phi B on national television. If this is the case, MTV should be contacted and they can very easily blur the letters. They do it all the time with brand logos and such.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Once upon a time, a girl from my school pledged a sorority. She was a pageant queen and very popular. She had a bit of a drug problem and quite a list of sexual partners. One of the Fraternity houses calls a room that she frequented the "*** ****** Gang Bang Room". After her chapter had enough, she was asked to resign from the sorority. She went on to have a low level of fame as a spokeswoman and some might consider her a b-list actress at best. I now see her listed as a Famous Alumna of this sorority and it always confuses me. The chapter on campus will never mention her name, but the national organization does.
I'm sorry, but this quote is so tacky. When you bash other women who are or were members of the greek system, regardless of their standing with their chapter, is a reflection on you, not her.

I find it amazing that this day in age women continue to give other women a hard time for behavior that is accepted among men. These are the divisive comments about fellow greeks that give sororities a bad reputation!Do you realize that potential members read these boards? How can we expect people to respect us if we can't even respect our fellow members -- public figures or not.

Even if you were on her chapter's standards boards, or part of her national organization, you would have no business commenting on her memembership status.

Last edited by Jhawkalum; 08-15-2005 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jhawkalum
If you are going to be this mean, why don't you start a whole thread about how ALI LANDRY is a "slut". We all know that she was a member of KD at Louisiana Lafayette. She was Miss USA, the Doritos girl, and might be considered a b-list actress. The number of stars you used in your quote perfectly spells out her name, so there is really no denying that you were referring to her.
Just so you know, I did have an IDEA that she might have been talking about Ali Landry, but would not have know for sure if YOU had not said it straight out. At least SHE was being somewhat subtle and not naming names bluntly. I found your post to be just as rude and could easily have been done in a PM so as to not bring it into the entire thread.

If you thought it was so bad, then you also could have left the name out as well.