GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,168
0 members and 2,168 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhirlwindTNX
Quote:
Originally posted by ChaosDST
Hmmm...who mentioned race?

Apparently you care, you felt the need to chime in, as well.

You're more than welcome to ignore this dialogue, if it bothers you oh so much.
She's got a point here. . . .
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-24-2003, 09:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ZZ-kai-
That is hilarious. Who gave you the right to fobid others from saying words out of the English Dictionary? By the way, what the hell is an 'ish'? Call or not, I ask again, whats the big friggen deal? Nobody has yet to give me a credible answer.

This is a pretty childish thread - now. It started off with a pretty cool discussion of whistles and other calls that were used way back in the 1800's, long before many of your fraternities/sororities were even founded, and now its gone to "you'd get your booty kicked if you said ABCDEFG when being part of XYZ org".

My peace has been said.

Say no to violence, YOU KNOW?
i'm not saying anything about kicking anyone's ass. you're the one who began the reaching by saying the "race card" was played. who's reaching there? but no, as i said before...you made a joke about saying "skee-wee" and i like i said, you don't have the heart to make that joke to an AKA, period. if you have to ask what the "big friggen deal" was, you should have intook. but as it is, you'll never understand. nor do i have to explain why i love my handsign, my call, my colors, ect...and i will check someone who isn't frat that says it. but you really want an answer? ask any D9er you know, they'll say the same exact thing. i earned the right to say my call....and if you were smart enough to read what stan said, you'd actually be able to figure it out. so if you want to imitate, that's all fine and dandy...imitate the real call and see how they really "love you."

Last edited by starang21; 08-24-2003 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-24-2003, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HotDamnImAPhiMu
Say no to drugs.

Starang21, I think you neglected to read the entire paragraph. Look, I even quoted myself for your convenience:

To paraphrase myself,

* no, I'm not saying Phi Mu "took" a call from any group
* yes, I believe Phi Mu has been using this call for some time, although no, I cannot give you the exact date, time, location, and members present for the first use of this specific call
* yes, the greek system is small and some of our sayings, phrases, mottos, etc. will overlap inadverdantly.
actually....i did read the entire post, but thanks anyway. and if you had read my post, you would have gleened from it that it is not flattering to me when someone who is not my fraternity brother decides to do my call or my handsign. and we never came down on you for using the sigma's call. we just asked how long you have been using it. neither me nor chaos really care...because we are not members of phi beta sigma. you want someone to really say something, talk to them. people on GC are real sensitive.

Last edited by starang21; 08-24-2003 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-24-2003, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

Quote:
PS, don't forget to mention that Phi Mu was founded in 1852, and some of Phi Mu's members probably said "you know" before the founding of the D9 org. that claims to have ownership over those two words.

"In the jungle, the mighty jungle, the lion sleeps tonight"
Actually when you think about it. . .when they were started has nothing to do with when the call was made up. Do you actually think that women in 1852 till the time the first D9 was formed actually said "you know?" Come on!! That's laughable. Sorry, but you know it really is. Women in corsets shouting "YOU KNOWWWWW" at some event. I can't get the image out of my mind. . . .

Anyway, even though I'm not in a BGLO (I'm in a MCGLO) and I don't know the history. . . . I DO know that there is a lot more behind it than claiming calls. And if you REALLY want to educate yourself than you should ask instead of keeping this back and forth crap from continuing.

ONE Luv,
Shelbs

P.s.- Before anyone flames me. . .I'm just saying my piece. This debate is kind of tired. . . . And our call is THETA NU. . . .ONE LUV!!!!!

[Edited to make it not sound harsh ]

Last edited by WhirlwindTNX; 08-24-2003 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-24-2003, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChaosDST
Uh...I asked a question and she rolled her eyes.

If a GLO takes an NPHC orgs' call, it's going to raise OUR eyebrows. We just don't do that and it has nothing to do with the number of greek orgs.

But, I'm sure she can speak for her organization better than you can.

OH BLAH on all this racial drama.

I personally think Zeta Phi Beta's badge looks veeeeeeery similiar to ours, but I've never accused them of "stealing" it because really, who cares? Lots of badges look similiar, it happens. I doubt a bunch of Phi Mu sisters were sitting around like "Hey, let's piss off the Phi Beta Sigmas" "Oooh that sounds like fun!"

Phi Mu, I'm sorry we STOLE the pink carnation. We're sneaky like that.

Last edited by GeekyPenguin; 08-24-2003 at 10:28 PM.
Old 08-24-2003, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin

I personally think Zeta Phi Beta's badge looks veeeeeeery similiar to ours, but I've never accused them of "stealing" it because really, who cares? Lots of badges look similiar, it happens. I doubt a bunch of Phi Mu sisters were sitting around like "Hey, let's piss off the Phi Beta Sigmas" "Oooh that sounds like fun!"
what the hell are you talking about? who ever said anything about race? someone is reaching.
Old 08-24-2003, 10:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KappaKittyCat
I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.
Ditto.
Old 08-24-2003, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

To ZZ kai:

"ish" is the polite way of saying chit with an "s"

Interesting thread....I didn't know NPC orgs did calls (I attende an HBCU) or whistles.
Old 08-24-2003, 11:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Honeykiss1974
Interesting thread....I didn't know NPC orgs did calls (I attende an HBCU) or whistles.
Me either. All I ever heard from NPC on PITT's campus are the "woohoo's" and it was always from a distance so I never knew who it was.
Old 08-24-2003, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by starang21
what the hell are you talking about? who ever said anything about race? someone is reaching.

Yeah, I'm confused too. No one pulled the race card from what I saw.
Old 08-24-2003, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

It's very understandable that you were unaware that NPC's had calls and whistles because they are no longer used. They are still a part of our ritual but are no longer used.
Old 08-25-2003, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by HotDamnImAPhiMu
I am from Richmond, yes.

Chaos, I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you on your statement that While I agree, of course, that all of the D9 are represented and have respected places on their respective campuses, there is at this time very little interaction between the D9 and the NPC on Virginia Commonwealth Univerity's campus, outside panhellenic structure & board meetings. To tell you the truth, I had no idea how many of the D9 were represented on campus or any of their colors until I joined GC. While attending VCU I roomed with members of two of the four other NPC sororities and dated members of four of the nine IFC fraternities. So I think I was well exposed to greek life in general. It was my impression that while the D9 and the NPC have great respect for each other and would be well served by more interaction, currently, interaction between the two is fairly limited.

Additionally, I'm going to have to say I found your statement,
kind of inflammatory. Honestly, you really have quite a limited frame of reference to draw on as to my knowledge of my chapter's history and traditions, and even less of a frame of reference to assume what my chapter was or was not intending to do when we initiated use of this particular call.

I think it'd serve us both well to realize that GLO tradition is hundreds of years long and it'd be about as hard to "steal" a call as it would be to "steal" the common use of the letter F. Aside from that, I'm sure you've heard the phrase that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

/soapbox, but I have to say I think I'm going to stay out of the water on the rest of this one, because I'm finding it INCREASINGLY difficult to be ladylike for this thread!
No one's challenging your ladylikeness. But, perception is 98% of our reality.

I am extremely familiar with VCU, so I will have to disagree with your assessment, as well. While Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. is no longer well represented at VCU, you all got the call from somewhere. Without going through a long sob story about the whole thing. I asked you when you all started doing the call. You told me that you didn't know, but that you became a member Fall 2001. So, again, the rest is not really important if you don't really know the history behind your "call."

NPHC "calls" aren't hundreds of years old, though. I bet Phi Mu's "You Knooooow" isn't hundreds of years old, either (LOL). So, I was just attempting to fill in the blanks that you were unable to fill in for me. Since you said that imitation is the highest form of flattery, I think you've summed up this dialogue quite nicely.
Old 08-25-2003, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin

Phi Mu, I'm sorry we STOLE the pink carnation. We're sneaky like that.
Hmmmm....the imaginary race card has apparently been played again

Can you say "paranoid?" I can understand why, though.

Geesh...actually Zeta Phi Beta was modeled after Phi Beta Sigma. We're not talking about badges, though.

If you had actually READ other posts, you'd see we're not talking about INTENTIONAL disrespect. So, you can save your attempts at misinformed sarcasm and failed wit.

Thanks for participating.....
Old 08-25-2003, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by WhirlwindTNX
Actually when you think about it. . .when they were started has nothing to do with when the call was made up. Do you actually think that women in 1852 till the time the first D9 was formed actually said "you know?" Come on!! That's laughable. Sorry, but you know it really is. Women in corsets shouting "YOU KNOWWWWW" at some event. I can't get the image out of my mind. . . .

Anyway, even though I'm not in a BGLO (I'm in a MCGLO) and I don't know the history. . . . I DO know that there is a lot more behind it than claiming calls. And if you REALLY want to educate yourself than you should ask instead of keeping this back and forth crap from continuing.

ONE Luv,
Shelbs

P.s.- Before anyone flames me. . .I'm just saying my piece. This debate is kind of tired. . . . And our call is THETA NU. . . .ONE LUV!!!!!

[Edited to make it not sound harsh ]
I COMPLETELY agree with you.

You're right, this debate is tired because SOME folks are missing the point.

Old 08-25-2003, 12:16 AM

Quote:
That is hilarious. Who gave you the right to fobid others from saying words out of the English Dictionary? By the way, what the hell is an 'ish'? Call or not, I ask again, whats the big friggen deal? Nobody has yet to give me a credible answer.

This is a pretty childish thread - now. It started off with a pretty cool discussion of whistles and other calls that were used way back in the 1800's, long before many of your fraternities/sororities were even founded, and now its gone to "you'd get your booty kicked if you said ABCDEFG when being part of XYZ org".

My peace has been said.

Say no to violence, YOU KNOW?
Yeah, I know. YOU KNOW, too. But, "YOU KNOOOOOOOOOW" is completely different.

I'm glad we've cleared the air and you get the point.

So long and farewell!!
Closed Thread