GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,756
1 members and 1,755 guests
Cookiez17
Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2000, 09:59 PM
Sorority Sis

You should be able to go to every rush to see which organization fits you. Unfortunately, that is not the way BGLOs work. Only go to the rush that you are seriously considering joining. The members are usually involved all over campus, so it is not hard to see how they interact and get a glimpse of their personalities. Some may even attend class with you.Go to the sorority websites and find where each has been and where their going to see which fits your ideals. Just remember, even though there are different sororities, there are friends from each group. A Delta might inform her AKA friend that you were at her rush and a Zeta might tell a SGRho she saw you at her rush also. It won't look good if they think you don't know where your heart wants to go.
Old 06-17-2000, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

I have heard that some sororities don't have interviews. That once u attend the rush, then they will call u back if u make line.. Is this true??
Old 06-19-2000, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Piggy,

I can only speak for my organization and that information is not correct with AKA. As for interviews, that is left up to the individual chapter if they choose to do this.
Old 06-20-2000, 12:53 AM
Roadkitten

Let me first start by saying that Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. does not have rushes. We have informationals and invitationals. Everyone who said your research should be done prior to attending a "rush" and decision made prior to attending is correct. An informational is more of an informal thing where you are just trying to learn more about the Sorority and the chapter. Upon attending, you will make your interest known. However, I would suggest that you attend activities prior to attending this event. An invitational is by invite only. It is an invitation to join The Sorority.
Old 06-21-2000, 12:28 AM
GreekChat Member

I believe that the question was about informationals, which everyone is encouraged to attend. A rush is completly different, so it is not an unfortunate event with BGLO's. We have informationals that basically do the same thing that GLO's would do at the beginning of their rush week.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sorority Sis:
You should be able to go to every rush to see which organization fits you. Unfortunately, that is not the way BGLOs work. Only go to the rush that you are seriously considering joining. The members are usually involved all over campus, so it is not hard to see how they interact and get a glimpse of their personalities. Some may even attend class with you.Go to the sorority websites and find where each has been and where their going to see which fits your ideals. Just remember, even though there are different sororities, there are friends from each group. A Delta might inform her AKA friend that you were at her rush and a Zeta might tell a SGRho she saw you at her rush also. It won't look good if they think you don't know where your heart wants to go.

[This message has been edited by blu_theatrics (edited June 22, 2000).]
Old 02-13-2004, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally posted by gloriajane
Thank you for clarifying that there are informational meetings. It is considered "bad" to go to informational meetings for all 4 NPHC sororities, if one doesn't know any sorority members personally?

I am asking this because, in terms of doing your "research", yes, I can look up and peruse each sorority's website and request some informational pamphlets, but ultimately how does one know if one group is a better fit than another unless they actually meet the ladies of that specific campus chapter?

Therefore, the informational meetings sound like a great idea for prospective members to meet the members on campus.
You really aren't simply joining the chapter...you're joining the entire organization!!

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 02-13-2004, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

question?

How do you ladies in the NPHC feel about the intake/rush process of the NPC. How the girls meet for 20 mins. at five different parties, then rank the top three choices etc. and immediately get a bid, then pledge and (unless all hell breaks loose), are initiated? I see pros and cons to both ways. But how is it percieved from your point of view.?Please feel free to PM me, I am trying to get to know as many people as I can on here!
Old 02-13-2004, 09:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: question?

Quote:
Originally posted by Diamond Delta
How do you ladies in the NPHC feel about the intake/rush process of the NPC. How the girls meet for 20 mins. at five different parties, then rank the top three choices etc. and immediately get a bid, then pledge and (unless all hell breaks loose), are initiated? I see pros and cons to both ways. But how is it percieved from your point of view.?Please feel free to PM me, I am trying to get to know as many people as I can on here!
Well firstly, it's not only 20 minutes...and depending on the school it can be over a few month long period if recruitment is split over 2 semesters as it is in some schools in the mid-west. The COR period tends also to be longer, but that is in my experience. I don't know of anyone in the history of my chapter that has received a bid after 20 minutes. I see the benefits and the detractors to both NPC and NPHC recruitment/intake, but I think that it is unfair to say tha NPCs give bids after twenty minutes.
Old 02-14-2004, 10:04 AM
GreekChat Member

I never said that

I never said anyone got a bid after 20 minutes. I was talking specifically about formal rush. At my school there are 5 parties-each about 20-25 minutes long. At the end of the 5th party (pref)people do rank their top 3 choices. These are just the facts as I see them. COB is little different-you are correct about that. But that is not what I was talking about. No need to be sensitive. I merely wanted to know the perceptions of the NPHC on NPC rush since they are so different.
Old 02-14-2004, 11:02 AM
GreekChat Member

I think the misunderstanding stemmed from 5 parties...instead of saying 5 rounds. Just my .02
Old 02-14-2004, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile parties & rounds

You know what, you might be right. I should have called them rounds. That probably was part of the confusion!
Old 02-14-2004, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

DiamondDelta, I'm curious what sorority you are in?
Old 02-15-2004, 11:45 PM

Re: question?

Quote:

I'm glad BGLOs typically don't operate like that. There are some NPHC organization's chapters that have participated in formal rush with GLOs because their numbers were so low and they were struggling for membership. Frankly, I would wreck my brain for ANY OTHER alternative than doing rush like GLOs do it.
Old 02-15-2004, 11:49 PM

Re: I never said that

Quote:
I merely wanted to know the perceptions of the NPHC on NPC rush since they are so different.
Many NPHCers have little knowledge of how the NPC and IFC conduct their "rushes." But, those of us who are quite familiar with other Greek systems can form an "educated" opinion on the matter
Old 06-14-2005, 02:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking HERE LIES THE CORRECT ANSWER!!!

Actually....whoever says that attending more than one sorority event is BAD OR TABOO is totally WROOOONG!!!.

You should and must attend all sororites events...thats the only way to make your final decision

You might think you want to be an AKA, but find out the SGRhos are more your speed or that the DELTAS got more spunk.
Do not let other people including sorority members deviate you interest in their organization or another.

If you're curious attend all the events...THEN will you be able to make all the decisions[SIZE=4][SIZE=4][FONT=times new roman][COLOR=royalblue][B]
Closed Thread