GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,471
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, veasfrances2534
» Online Users: 2,196
1 members and 2,195 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 08-22-2001, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brandeis:
First off, I think your signature refering to TKE presidents... is lame. But, whatever. The best thing to do, in terms of rushing and recruiting effectively is to place an importance on binge drinking and chicks. You have to realize that most freshmen are looking for exactly those two things when coming to college. If a fraternity can't provide those two things- then why even go through all the pledging/hazing?? So, bottom line: don't do sissy football "parties" unless you have a keg and a lot of chicks hanging around. Trust me, this will work!
That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. Granted, we do our fair share of partying and do enjoy the ladies, there is no sense in putting an emphasis on that. What you end up with then is nothing but letter wearers, not fraternity brothers. If you do a good job rushing, you don't need to talk about partying all the time for the guys to realize you know how to party.

Some events we have are paintball, going to a hockey game, go karts, a dry rush party, etc. our rush is long, 7 weeks, so we have to keep the freshmen occupied. Also, we just hang out with them and do things we do together, movies, bowling, basketball, and other stuff like that. the thing that sucks is that there isn't much to do in town.

------------------
Steve Corbin
Lambda Chi Alpha
Theta Kappa Chapter
Rose-Hulman Inst. of Tech.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-22-2001, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
First off, I think your signature refering to TKE presidents... is lame. But, whatever. The best thing to do, in terms of rushing and recruiting effectively is to place an importance on binge drinking and chicks. You have to realize that most freshmen are looking for exactly those two things when coming to college. If a fraternity can't provide those two things- then why even go through all the pledging/hazing?? So, bottom line: don't do sissy football "parties" unless you have a keg and a lot of chicks hanging around. Trust me, this will work!
this is uncalled for
Old 08-22-2001, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

This Brandeis person posted another ridiculous message in another thread. I'll have John look into it. I don't think he/she will be on the board very long.
Old 08-22-2001, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to GmuTeke
Quote:
Originally posted by Corbin Dallas:
[But our rush is long, 7 weeks, so we have to keep the freshmen occupied. [/B]
seven weeks?! ours is 5 days, a literal rush
week, and we have a hard time filling it with interesting and dynamic events. paintball sounds cool, but isnt it expensive? especially with prospectives as well as brothers participating?

personally, i'd like to have 2 weeks of rush, that would give us more time to know the guys and to see wether they really blend in with the guys. with one week you take some risks when you bid, but that's Greek Life at Mason for ya. work in progress

------------------
------------------
The Fraternity of Presidents and Kings: TKE
Old 08-22-2001, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

OK, first off- I don't think that my postings are ridiculous. They are harsh, yes. But, it's the truth and many of you choose to ignore. Many of the people who post, have a distorted perception of greek life-believing that socities are a peachy keen extra cuurricular organization that exists to provide world peace. The truth is that fraternities, and sororities are inherently backward and selective. Many of the things that appeal to young adults are many of the things that greek life is well known for. I,e: drinking, socializing, gaining respect among peers, being outgoing, connections down the road, etc. OF COURSE, that with this will come comradery and strong bonds of friendship. In addition, most greek societies will create an atmosphere where members are greatly encouraged to develop skills and virtues that will eventually lead to outstanding citizens and ultimately leaders in their communities.called upon to be great citizens and most importantly leaders. To the moderators: you are purposely filtering views, like the ones I share, and continue fueling a bland and repitive view on greek life. Sadly, these sentiments are not expressed by the large greek population. But many of you want to think that this is the case. This may be one of my last postings because many people on this forum don't agree (or don't want to although they know it's the truth) with my ideas. But, just keep this in mind when you post a rosy optimistic, cheerful and idealistic opinion of greek life.
BRANDEIS
Old 08-22-2001, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Is it just me or is anyone else creeped out when he keeps saying Greek "Societies"?

I prefer Greek Organizations.

Quote:
OK, first off- I don't think that my postings are ridiculous. They are harsh, yes. But, it's the truth and many of you choose to ignore. Many of the people who post, have a distorted perception of greek life-believing that socities are a peachy keen extra cuurricular organization that exists to provide world peace. The truth is that fraternities, and sororities are inherently backward and selective. Many of the things that appeal to young adults are many of the things that greek life is well known for. I,e: drinking, socializing, gaining respect among peers, being outgoing, connections down the road, etc. OF COURSE, that with this will come comradery and strong bonds of friendship. In addition, most greek societies will create an atmosphere where members are greatly encouraged to develop skills and virtues that will eventually lead to outstanding citizens and ultimately leaders in their communities.called upon to be great citizens and most importantly leaders. To the moderators: you are purposely filtering views, like the ones I share, and continue fueling a bland and repitive view on greek life. Sadly, these sentiments are not expressed by the large greek population. But many of you want to think that this is the case. This may be one of my last postings because many people on this forum don't agree (or don't want to although they know it's the truth) with my ideas. But, just keep this in mind when you post a rosy optimistic, cheerful and idealistic opinion of greek life.
BRANDEIS
Old 08-22-2001, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
BRANDEIS
Condoning "binge drinking" and saying that it's the best way to get people to join a fraternity is absolutely ridiculous. If this is the reason that you joined your organization, then I feel for your fraternity. It's Greeks like you that keep perpetualizing the negative stereotypes about Greeks in general. Thank God not all of us have the same shallow view of Greek Life that you do. No matter what you may think, the majority of us don't join up to drink ourselves under a table or find one-night stands. Maybe you should check your GLO's history and read what your founders' intentions were when they established your Greek organization. I doubt if "drink like a fish" is anywhere in their creed.

[This message has been edited by dzrose93 (edited August 22, 2001).]
Old 08-22-2001, 04:40 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by GmuTeke:

Okay, now I am curious....

I know former President Ronald Reagan is a TKE. Any other Presidents out there who are TKEs?

As for the "Kings"...that doesn't really make sense, as the closest thing that the USA has for a King would be the Hawaiian royal family, before Hawaii became part of the USA...

and the late JFK Jr. (America's other "prince") was a Member of Phi Kappa Psi fraternity.

Or do you mean a king in your own mind?
Old 08-22-2001, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Inaccuracies in your post, Brandeis:
1)Many of the people who post, have a distorted perception of greek life-believing that socities are a peachy keen extra cuurricular organization that exists to provide world peace.
Although we don't provide world peace, our views are not disoriented

2)The truth is that fraternities, and sororities are inherently backward and selective.
How are they backwards? And when did selective and elite become mutually exclusive?

3)To the moderators: you are purposely filtering views, like the ones I share, and continue fueling a bland and repitive view on greek life.
The moderators are here to keep GC running smoothly, and they only filter out what is socially unacceptable and rude, like you.

4)But, just keep this in mind when you post a rosy optimistic, cheerful and idealistic opinion of greek life.
Who said Greek Life couldn't be cheerful? Just because we want to make a better Greek doesn't mean we're ignoring that there are problems (not just with the Greek System, but any system).
Old 08-22-2001, 04:46 PM

Some events we have are paintball, going to a hockey game, go karts, a dry rush party, etc. our rush is long, 7 weeks, so we have to keep the freshmen occupied. Also, we just hang out with them and do things we do together, movies, bowling, basketball, and other stuff like that. the thing that sucks is that there isn't much to do in town.

Hope you didn't think I was giving you a hard time, above!

I think that Corbin has some great suggestions. They're activities where guys can be themselves, hang out, and just have fun. They take the emphasis off of drinking, drinking, drinking, and more on sports, having fun, getting to know each other and forging friendships, etc.

Can you rent some tables from an entertainment companies that would provide tables like table soccer, or air hockey, that kind of thing to have in the house, just for a week or so.
Old 08-22-2001, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AOPIHottie Send a message via Yahoo to AOPIHottie
Unhappy

Its really horrible when an active greek makes comments like him. How can we expect to drop our "stereotype" when ACTIVE GREEKS(i.e Brandeis) just enforce that stereotype.
I, for one, did NOT join a sorority just to drink and meet hot guys. How many of you did?

AOPIHottie
Old 08-22-2001, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CutiePie2000:
Okay, now I am curious....

I know former President Ronald Reagan is a TKE. Any other Presidents out there who are TKEs?

As for the "Kings"...that doesn't really make sense, as the closest thing that the USA has for a King would be the Hawaiian royal family, before Hawaii became part of the USA...
Or do you mean a king in your own mind?
Reagan is the president, Elvis is the King. He was awarded honorary membership by the TKE chapter in Arkansas State. I picked up the slogan at our international Conclave this summer and liked it.

------------------
------------------
Old 08-23-2001, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Post Fraternity Rushing

As guy rush week is always different from the ladie's rush, I was wondering what worked well for some of the fraternities outt here on GC. Our rush week includes Monday Night Football, BBQ at a local park, a night at the local pool hall, a trip to the baseball game and our bid party at the end of the week.

What do you guys do? Anything work really well for netting in the guys?

------------------
------------------
Old 08-23-2001, 01:42 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by localsororities

In another thread, he said that Elvis, an honorary member, was the King that the line refered to.
Thanks Laura/localsororities and gmuteke for clarifying that Elvis is a TKE!!
Now I feel silly for not realizing that earlier!!