GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,467
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Bioxtrim
» Online Users: 1,466
0 members and 1,466 guests
No Members online

Old 09-21-2001, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Bush's address

What was everyones opinion about Bush's address last night? I think he made an incredible speech - even though i am not a republican supporter, i feel that he is doing a great job through all of this. the stance we are taking on this is, in my opinion, a good one - we will not negotiate or discuss our demands. I don't think we need to have evidence from this attack in order for the Taliban to hand over bin laden - he is wanted for the embassy bombings in Africa, the WTC attack in 96, the attack on the USS Cole - we have sufficent past reasons.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-21-2001, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I too, thought Bush gave a wonderful address, both in content and presentation. I am a democrat, but I have strong respect for the party in their decision not to respond to Bush's address. I am proud to be an American right now, and see how everything has been put aside for the good of the nation.
Old 09-21-2001, 05:10 PM

I'm about as Republican as it gets but politics aside, I thought his speech was brilliant and inspiring. The President has not always been the most rousing of public speakers but I have been so happy to see that he has really risen to the occasion since the September 11 tragedies.

The most touching moments to me were when he introduced the widow of one of the passengers on the flight that crashed in Pennsylvania and when he displayed the police badge that had been given to him by the mother of one of the fallen officers.
Old 09-21-2001, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I was inspired when he stood in the rubble of the WTC and said, "I hear you and soon they will hear you..." but last night, he was the President I voted for, the only one who could rouse the spirit of the masses. He has surrounded himself with the best-Powell, Rice, Cheney. I was offended by the way Hillary was rolling her eyes and gabbing away during the speech. I will confess, I can't stand that woman so perhaps I was seeing more than was there.
Old 09-21-2001, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by justamom
I was offended by the way Hillary was rolling her eyes and gabbing away during the speech. I will confess, I can't stand that woman so perhaps I was seeing more than was there.
You noticed that too??? I would have hoped that a United States Senator (representing NEW YORK, for goodness sake!!!) could put aside partisanship for an hour or so.
Old 09-21-2001, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gphi2k
SHAFTED CANUCKS

I HAVE TO REPLY TO THIS THREAD

First off, I generally thought last night was Bush's shining moment thus far, in his attempt to overcome his inability to be confortable in the roll of address giver. Bush isn't what you'd call the most enagmatic man when it comes to giving speeches and last night was for sure his shining glory. It was to the point, not searching for new catch lines that would be retold in history, and it sent the message that he means business.

Now, the Canadian side will speak. I am completely irritated by the disregard President Bush has for the help Canada has given the United States. I was bothered that he neglected to mention in his last address that yes, other countries around the world did have days of mourning and moments of silence last Friday, but in Canada, THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of Canadians were at Parliament Hill to honour and show support for our American neighbours. But, I let that slide.

I was somewhat peeved last night when Bush mentioned all the countries who have offered assistance, militarily, as well as ecomonically, and yet conveniently forgot to mention the Millions of dollars, Canada has offered to give, the thousands of troops, doctors, fire fighters and other aid workers to help the United States fight and rebuild. Again, I let that slide.

But when President Bush said he was saddened that 80 British people died in the attack (and yes, that is horrible), and he completely ignored the fact that OVER TWO HUNDRED Canadians died as well, I stopped letting things slide and started to get angry. For all Canada does, for all we offer, and for the losses that we too suffered, we are all but forgotten up here. I'm not whining and saying 'We're here too! Mention us! We're cool! We'll be your best friends if you let us!'. But I am saying that we too have offered our complete and total support, in every way we can. But no 'thank you'. 10 other countries were named. Canada was ignored. 15 countries were mentioned in the list of those who tragically lost their citizens in the attack. Britain lost 80. We lost more than twice that. Again, Canada is ignored. I don't mean to rant but sometimes it feels like the United States considers Canada to just be another state, rather than a separate country. A thanks mentioned along with all the other countries mentioned, a message of condolence for the citizens we too lost, would have nice, and it would have been proper.

That is my only grievance from the address last night. Other than that, I thought he showed courage, I thought he showed resolve, and I think countries who are harbouring terrorists should be very very scared.
Old 09-21-2001, 09:12 PM

Arrow Colin Powell made amends today & thanked the Canadians...

Colin Powell gave a profusion of thanks to Canada today.

While Bush overlooked Canada initially, I am satisfied with Colin Powell said today and consider what he said today to be satisfactory and that Colin Powell made amends.
Old 09-22-2001, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Ok please flame me politely . . . As i get on my soapbox.

I have been reading through various posts and I was wondering if everyone realized some things:

Bush doesn't write his own speeches for the most part, they have very good political speech writers that handle that type of stuff and usually coordinate as part of an politcal strategy. So often times the same speech would sound better from a veteran of "Toastmasters".

Things like introducing widows etc. are staged to create a dramatic effect. At that level of politics the people have excellent media consultants working for them. Those of you in advertising and marketing can definitely relate, as well as students of human nature in general. The situation is to big for the PResident to just happen to stumble across a widow.

As a digression: Media consultants and proffesional political consultants said that PResident Ronald Reagan was a dream to work with because his acting experience made it very easy for him to work through the choreographed roles such as tape on the floor on where to stand or to pause and wave.

As far as him doing a great job, I don't know yet, we haven't seen the consequences of his decisions and likely won't know them till his administration is over. However, he is standing tall and proud in public and delivering a simple message that people are relating to, which might be a lot of his job: Appearance.

As far as Hilary, She has no need to be bitter about Bush, the Clinton didn't lose any of the important elections. However, she's bright enough to maybe see the underlying media glitter and cynical enough to comment, without necessarily having been directly in the political spotlight long enough to just keep a straight face. Or maybe she was just being evil . . .

When I look at a speech, I admire a good performance like I admire good theatre and listen to the substance (or lack there of) in it and then wait to see how it materializes later.

There is a very good book Called: "Policy paradox and political reason" that goes into a lot of this.

It behooves us as intellegent and educated Americans with the civic responsibility of voting citizens to understand the public political process and look beyond the glitz, spinning, and advertising the same way as consumers we are expected to look beyond the glamorization of products. Otherwise we suffer the same fate as uninformed or easily swayed consumers: We get a bad buy. However, in the case of public officers we can get very bad consequences that affect our way of life.

As far as Canada goes, unfortunately Canada has been so long considered either a Nation to obviously comply with British and American policy, or else to be no threat our National Security (or help either) that we tend to take them for granted.

Canadian troops were given the second most heavily defended beachhead to take during D-Day where they suffered heavy casualties, and yet they are barely mentioned in history books that are not very specific to that time of WWII.

I am now stepping off my soapbox.
Old 09-22-2001, 08:12 AM
GreekChat Member

James stated,"Bush doesn't write his own speeches for the most part, they have very good political speech writers that handle that type of stuff and usually coordinate as part of an politcal strategy. So often times the same speech would sound better from a veteran of "Toastmasters".

Yes, this is true, which is exactly why I thought his statement at the WTC was so wonderful. It "appeared" to be spontaneous.

KillarneyRose, They had SEVERAL callers mention it on -dare I say it-FOX news. Yes, I LOVE that station and The Factor as well. (Am I banned from GC now?)
I just wish Paula hadn't been let go. What a loss. Have you seen their video of Lee Greenwood's, I believe that's his name, "Proud To Be An American"?
In fact, they have presented several songs in that format. I'd love to have the entire collection.
Old 09-22-2001, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know...right now, I admit...Bush has done an admirable job in keeping the country in check, political differences aside. I only saw bits and pieces of his speech, but from what I saw, it seems to be a good start. I do realize that he has speechwriters and is heavily briefed on matters from Colin and Condolleeza, and they are brilliant in their individual areas of expertise. My University President was interviewed regarding her views afterwards...did anyone see that?

We still have to see how things are going to be in a few weeks, months, or even years. Even though I'm proud to say I did not vote for him, I really feel like he's going to rise to the challenge and put most of his critics to rest.
Old 09-22-2001, 08:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
James makes good points - Bill Clinton is the only president to write his own speeches in the last 120 years, i believe. Sure, there's a lot of pomp and circumstance, and not a lot of depth, in many of these speeches - but it seems like Bush is doing a stand-up job so far. Hopefully, it keeps up . . .
Old 09-23-2001, 09:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Ah yes, Bill Clinton, I will always remember those stirring words.
"I DID NOT HAVE SEX WITH THAT WOMAN".

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Last edited by justamom; 09-23-2001 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09-23-2001, 01:10 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Siobhan
Angry Like many other Canadians I am totally peeved...

I thought Bush's speech was amazing at first, but then there was no mention of Canada.

We didn't have to open up our airports, homes and hearts to the thousands of Americans stranded in our Country - but we did because of the historic friendship between Canada and the United States.

We were the first country in the world to committ ourselves to helping the Americans wage this war on terrorism - even though it may put a great strain on our armed forces.

We have sent in emergency response from as far away as Vancouver, and many Canadian doctors living in or visiting New York were there to assist in any way the could, and of course tonnes of Canadian were killed in this disaster - one of my dad's collegues - his cousin worked in the WTC - they managed to identify his body parts.... another family friend (who is a prof at Harvard) his friend was aboard one of the planes out Boston.

So as you can see Bush's oversight of Canada was major screw up and has royally pissed off a lot of Canadians.

Sure Colin Powell talked about how great Canada was - the day after - but he was a "day late & a buck short" on that one....
Old 09-23-2001, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Like many other Canadians I am totally peeved...

Your right. I'm suprised he didnt. I'm sure it wasnt intentional but he should have mentioned Canada. I thought his speech was brilliant. Even if he had help writing it. It was the first time I saw him really in control and passionate about what he was saying. I dont think theres a doubt in anyones mind that he is determined and bound to stomp out terrorism in the world.

My favorite quote:

"Your either with us or your with the Terrorists."

I too was a little dismayed by Hillary's attitude that night. It very well could have been something else though. You never know. Maybe it had to do with Bill. Maybe he had a run in with some Cubans.

Kevin

Quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan
I thought Bush's speech was amazing at first, but then there was no mention of Canada.

We didn't have to open up our airports, homes and hearts to the thousands of Americans stranded in our Country - but we did because of the historic friendship between Canada and the United States.

We were the first country in the world to committ ourselves to helping the Americans wage this war on terrorism - even though it may put a great strain on our armed forces.

We have sent in emergency response from as far away as Vancouver, and many Canadian doctors living in or visiting New York were there to assist in any way the could, and of course tonnes of Canadian were killed in this disaster - one of my dad's collegues - his cousin worked in the WTC - they managed to identify his body parts.... another family friend (who is a prof at Harvard) his friend was aboard one of the planes out Boston.

So as you can see Bush's oversight of Canada was major screw up and has royally pissed off a lot of Canadians.

Sure Colin Powell talked about how great Canada was - the day after - but he was a "day late & a buck short" on that one....
Old 09-24-2001, 02:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Justamom: I sent you a quick private message to ask you something about Fox News.

Re: The Speech

I thought it was very well done. My Mom is Canadian, so I noticed the absence of mention in the speech and was sorry he'd not mentioned Canada.

Overall though, I thought it was just what the country needed.

Just my thoughts...

Jen