GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 2,253
2 members and 2,251 guests
Xidelt

Old 07-16-2007, 03:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flirt5721 View Post
I agree with you too. However sometimes a professor can be a really bad lecture teacher but be a better one on one teacher. Don't just judge the professor in the classes room. A lot of the bad review might come from students that did not bother to go to the office hours or make and appointment with the professor. Go to their office hours and they can help out so much more (most of the time).
I forgot one thing. Some of these people who write negative reviews don't show up in class except on exam days.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-20-2007, 01:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flirt5721 View Post
I agree with you too. However sometimes a professor can be a really bad lecture teacher but be a better one on one teacher.
The reverse can be true as well!

I'd advise any new college grad to quickly look into research opportunities, especially if they think they might want to attend grad school or do internships/study abroad. The earlier started with research the better it will look on grad school apps. That said, don't single a prof out for mentorship or research advisory based on whether or not people like him/her in class.

A well-liked, funny, personable prof can end up being a disorganized mess one-on-one, or a control freak, or a total space cadet. Or it may simply be a personality clash. Make sure you really get to know a professor's personal style before signing on to endless hours in the lab one-on-one with him. Spend some time chatting with him after class and in the office hours before you commit yourself to assisting with his huge publication.

To let my lyre send forth the chords of love, unselfishness and sincerity
Old 07-29-2008, 06:06 PM

I'll bump this up for this fall:

*Don't freak out if you and your roomie/hallmates/whatever aren't BFFs.

*Don't schedule morning classes if you know you aren't a morning person. Same with night classes if you like to go to bed early.

*Ladies I know it's college and you're excited to be there, but you will soon learn that you don't need to get totally dressed up every single day (stillettos and all) for class.

*Try to work out. It'll keep you from packing on the "freshman 15."

*Some people say that college is the place to meet your husband, and yeah, some people do meet the man they're going to marry there. But don't let that be your only reason for going to college and don't freak out if you aren't engaged by graduation. I knew people who were pretty upset that they didn't get their "Mrs." degree in college, so just be aware that not everyone meets their future hubby there and that college is for getting an education.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 07-29-2008 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:14 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post

*Ladies I know it's college and you're excited to be there, but you will soon learn that you don't need to get totally dressed up every single day (stillettos and all) for class.
You can totally tell who the freshmen are with this.

Ladies, dress appropriately for the weather. Remember that college is not a fashion show.

...Because if you're that freshman girl who decides to wears heels on a rainy day, and you fall and eat shit on your way up to the Business Administration building because the ground's uneven, people like me WILL LAUGH AND POINT at you.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:

*Try to work out. It'll keep you from packing on the "freshman 15."
And walking to and from class is NOT enough of a work out to prevent the freshman 15!
Old 07-29-2008, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
And walking to and from class is NOT enough of a work out to prevent the freshman 15!
Lol I totally learned that! I was thinking, "Oh, but we have brutal hills here!" Yeah, it's still not enough.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

*Some people say that college is the place to meet your husband, and yeah, some people do meet the man they're going to marry there. But don't let that be your only reason for going to college and don't freak out if you aren't engaged by graduation. I knew people who were pretty upset that they didn't get their "Mrs." degree in college, so just be aware that not everyone meets their future hubby there and that college is for getting an education.
I agree with this statement. There are plenty of other men outside of school, like your church, at the workplace, or even the mall. Be patient. There are many people that wait until their 30s, even their 40s before they walk down the aisle. This is 2008, not 1958. And remember, you need to say I AM before you say I DO.

-Never use Wikipedia as one of your sources for your paper. Furthermore, don't use a lot of websites for your sources, unless they are from strong sources (i.e. newspaper). Wikipedia is the worst kind of source, because some of the stuff is not accurate. Use books, articles from good sources, and periodical journals as your source. If your school offers a tour of the library, take advantage of it. You will need to go to library.

-Arrive on time for classes and stay for the entire class (unless there is an emergency). There are some professors that dock you for being late, leaving early, heck even going to the bathroom during class. Make arriving on time a habit, because you need to do that when you head out in the real world.

-Keep track of your absences and your tardies. There are some professors that track absences and tardies. If you are absent or tardy for the maximum allowed, then you will be penalized (i.e. lose a letter grade or worse, getting an F).

-If your school does buyback when the semester ends, be aware that they may not buy back your book. Also, you may get significantly less for your book. For instance, you may pay $90 for your math book, but may get $10 or even less. One of the reason may be that they are using a new book.

-Try to get assignments done by at least two to three days before the deadline, because you never know what might happen. There might be a power outage the day before the deadline. If that happens, and if you are not finished, well you can figure out what will happen.

Last edited by sunnyhibiscus; 08-20-2008 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little E View Post
If you move from Hawaii to Wisconsin they do have stores up here, you can buy winter stuff here. A Hawaiian sweater does not cut it in Wisconsin. Find someone who has been through a winter to help you find the apropriate weight jackets and sweaters. If you go w/others freshman Hawaiians, it is the blind leading the blind (I love my hawaiians though)
tee hee. Where'd you go to school?

My best friend's roommate busted out her "winter" jacket the first weekend in October. We immediately took her to the North Face Store, because she thought that jacket would last her all winter.

In all seriousness, if you're in a different climate than you are used to, it's really important to make sure you have the proper clothing to be comfortable. You can't make friends/study/enjoy college if you're constantly too cold/hot. If you're moving from the south to the north, a good pair of socks will honestly make the difference between skipping class when it's cold and being able to go.

Other advice:
1) Take the syllabus on your first day of class and write ALL your due dates on your planner. I can't tell you how many times that's saved me. Professors WILL NOT remind you you have a paper/midterm in one week.

2) On this same planner, WRITE THE DROP DATE. It SUCKS finding out you failed your calculus exam and can't drop the class.

3) Find out all the free things your campus offers: health care, safe cabs, gym membership, tutoring, etc. These things are awesome and your tuition pays for them. My campus has a program avaliable to all students that does a paper's bibliography for you. Barely anyone knows about it.

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Let me teach you how to Bucky!
Old 08-20-2008, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

1.) Be somebody else. If you weren't happy with who you were in high school, then change it. This is the perfect opportunity to do so. No one knows you. It's like you get to start life all over. And now you're older and more mature. If you were shy, be outgoing. If you were the girl who dressed all in black but you want to try being a bit more "girly", wear a nice shirt and a skirt to class. It's your chance to be different.

2.) Selling back books. It's been said before, but there are usually a good portion of books that the bookstore will not buy back for a significant amount of money. Usually, it's not over half the amount that you originally paid for it. And as a general rule, you'll receive more money for a math or science book (and sometimes language), as opposed to a history or english book. And again, these amounts will drop dramatically if the book is not being used the next semester. And on some campuses, it might be a good idea to post fliers of the books you're selling in academic buildings and dorms. Sell them to students for under the asking price of the bookstore. You'll make more of a profit than if you sold them to the bookstore, and people will obviously be more willing to buy a slightly used book from you for $50, than from the bookstore for $75.

3.) Meet people. My freshman year, I still had a bf from high school who was going crazy because I was now living 600 miles away. He would call ALL the time and would get pissed if I didn't have my cell phone on me. I spent a good portion of my time talking to him, and or despising the girls that were on my dorm floor. Say goodbye to the attached bf and get involved with other activities on campus that will get you out of your dorm room. Meet other people that you may never have talked to. Also, DON'T GO HOME EVERY WEEKEND. You miss out on so much. That is the one reason I was glad I went to a school so far away from home.

3.) Keep track of absences and grades. While you should try not to be absent at all from classes, it does happen. Some professors are more understanding than others when it comes to this. And they will penalize you for missing too many. Keep a list of your classes and how many you've missed. I personally had an Excel spreadsheet with all my classes. For each one, I recorded how many absences I had, and all of my grades for homework, quizzes, and tests. This way you know how you're doing in each class.

4.) Make friends with the computer nerds. Because when something goes wrong with your computer (and it will happen), they're going to be the ones you turn to. And don't be afraid to go to the computer center on campus and ask questions.

@~/~~~~
Old 01-08-2009, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Bumping because this is a good thread.

1) Do NOT take a job in retail unless you are SURE you can handle it. I made that mistake, and though I requested time off for finals week and the week before it way in advance, I still had to argue with my manager about my schedule when I got it. You are best off getting an on campus job where they understand about classes and exams and so on.

2) Better yet, if a professor offers a research job or allows you to do extra work for them, take it. Even if you don't get paid, this is great for networking, recommendations, and experience.

3) Realize that if you decide to room with your best friends from freshman year, come Christmas break of your sophomore year, you guys may not be that close. I grew way closer to people I wasn't close to my freshman year, and that happens. Freshman year is so stressful and crazy at times that while you do make some lasting friendships, you may grow closer to others in later years. And thats okay.

4) Try not to have a boyfriend freshman year at all. Most freshman relationships I've seen have ended, and I've seen many people who come in with serious relationships become fulling wrapped up in their relationship. Its sad to see, because they don't get to experience freshman year as fully as they could. I didn't meet my current boyfriend until I was nearly done with freshman year, and I'm so glad of that, because I was well established with friends and activities on campus before he became a part of my life...he wasn't and isn't my whole life, but he is a very good part of it.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaPhi88 View Post
Bumping because this is a good thread.

1) Do NOT take a job in retail unless you are SURE you can handle it. I made that mistake, and though I requested time off for finals week and the week before it way in advance, I still had to argue with my manager about my schedule when I got it. You are best off getting an on campus job where they understand about classes and exams and so on.
Not to mention, call-ins totally suck if your job uses them.

Re the boyfriend, I agree, but in my personal experience I was so naive that if I would have jumped right into the dating different guys thing I don't think I could have handled it. It was nice to have a steady person to help me thru frehsman year. The problem came the next year when I had more confidence and had "outgrown" him and he thought we were getting married.

Just put it this way - college relationships are NOT like hs relationships.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I disagree with the boyfriend thing. Just because some people don't stay together doesn't mean you shouldn't date. That is just silly. Dating is good experience for later relationships that could be more serious, and it is definitely possible that a freshman WILL have a good and serious relationship freshman year.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:09 PM

It's okay to have a boyfriend freshman year, but DO NOT spend all of your free time talking to him on the phone, texting him, IMing him, driving down to see him (if he is at another school), etc.

While you're sitting in your dorm room waiting on his phone call, all of the other freshmen are out having fun, meeting new people, joining student organizations, and having a life.

So make sure that you're not so wrapped up in your boyfriend that you forget to have fun. You don't want to look back on freshman year and regret it because all you did was spend time with your boyfriend.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralaylin View Post
I disagree with the boyfriend thing. Just because some people don't stay together doesn't mean you shouldn't date. That is just silly. Dating is good experience for later relationships that could be more serious, and it is definitely possible that a freshman WILL have a good and serious relationship freshman year.
I should have reworded that to say: Don't let you freshman boyfriend (or any boyfriend!) take over your life. College is a very self-oriented time, and you'll need space to let yourself experience and grow. If a relationship is part of that, thats fine, but never let your boyfriend (or girlfriend!) limit your college experience.

And I never said don't date at all! Casual dating is great...I never experienced it before college, and I think (as long as you don't do stupid things while you casually date that give you an unsavory reputation) it is something that everyone should try.

And while I'm on here, I've got two more pieces of advice.

1) When you go to frat parties or house parties, avoid the jungle juice (grain alcohol punch...whatever your student popuation calls it). It tastes like yummy punch, but it will hit you hard, and it will suck. If you want to avoid waking up with your head in the toilet, try to limit yourself on this to one drink at most. And while I'm on the subject, just because mommy and daddy are not there to yell at you for drinking does not mean you can go wild. Be smart about it, not only could you end up spending a night puking your guts up, but if caught you could end up in trouble with the university. Not a great start to your freshman year, right?

2) While I'm not telling you outright not to do it, if you do get a boyfriend as a freshman (or any other time you live in a dorm), be wary of dating someone on your floor. It could work out great, as my sorority sister is still dating her floormate from freshman year...but if something happens or it doesn't end well things could get really really awkward. It happened on my floor freshman year with two next door neighbors. When, after two weeks, it came crashing down (and I do mean crashing)....it just wasn't pretty. We call it floorcest or dormcest, and while I'm not saying DON'T DO IT, I'm going to warn you to proceed with caution.

Last edited by GammaPhi88; 01-08-2009 at 04:23 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 01-08-2009, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Agreed - stay away from mixed drinks and shots!!

My dad gave me great advice before I left for college. He said "I know you're going to drink, so when you do, stick to beer. Stay away from mixed drinks, because you don't know how strong those guys are going to make them."

I followed his advice, and can't tell you how many nights I ended up carrying home or cleaning up after an inebriated friend who had the "Jungle Juice" or Strawberry Daquiri.

You have a better sense of when you're approaching your limit with beer, and have a better chance to stop before becoming drunk and behaving badly. (I'm assuming everyone will be walking and not driving).