GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,630
0 members and 1,630 guests
No Members online

Old 07-30-2020, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Phi Mu Ending the Use Of Hand Signs

No more "throwing what you know" by Phi Mu. They have determined that using hand signs is cultural appropriation. I am sure the rest of the NPC will follow along shortly.

Phi Mu Ends Use of Hand Signs
Old 07-30-2020, 03:25 PM

Thank God.

I realize that some NPC groups do have hand signs that go back to their early years, but most don’t, and seeing this always made me cringe before “cultural appropriation” was even a phrase. It’s a bunch of white girls looking ridiculous.
Old 07-30-2020, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

It's definitely cultural appropriation...but....

Did they even ask us (NPHC) what we even think about it?

Because, 1) Most of us don't care about handsigns. We care when you start performing in step shows, and 2) Not every NPHC handsign is official, either.
Old 07-30-2020, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I think sororities are hoping these small acts will pacify enough people that the big changes won't have to happen. I think sororities are terrified of the big changes, because that will have to be in the realm of recruitment and membership.

Old 07-30-2020, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post

Because, 1) Most of us don't care about handsigns. We care when you start performing in step shows, and 2) Not every NPHC handsign is official, either.
Yes.

If I can be honest, I’m not sure how many NPHC members even know the NPC is throwing signs in the first place. My NPHC friends that don’t work in higher education don’t know much about the IFC/NPC to begin with, let alone the culture, so I don’t know what this changes.

When I was an undergrad, the NPC members weren’t throwing signs at my school and neither were my friends from other schools. When I started working in higher ed, that’s when I saw it more frequently. While I found it random, I didn’t really care. Just don’t throw my sign or do my call, strolls or steps and I’m good.
Old 07-30-2020, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersistentDST View Post
Yes.

If I can be honest, I’m not sure how many NPHC members even know the NPC is throwing signs in the first place. My NPHC friends that don’t work in higher education don’t know much about the IFC/NPC to begin with, let alone the culture, so I don’t know what this changes.

When I was an undergrad, the NPC members weren’t throwing signs at my school and neither were my friends from other schools. When I started working in higher ed, that’s when I saw it more frequently. While I found it random, I didn’t really care. Just don’t throw my sign or do my call, strolls or steps and I’m good.
Word. I really only learned of this through GreekChat.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Our hand sign is a crescent. I like that. Probably even more common than the "hand sign" crescent is the whole body, both arms crescent.

Some members throw a Gamma sign, and that has been deemed unacceptable. Despite many reminders of this policy, you'll still see some bid day pics with members throwing that Gamma sign...and so the reminder will be made again. I just saw a reminder in last week's collegiate newsletter. It feels like an uphill battle to get members to comply where that sign has become the "thing." If this becomes a widespread edict, this will likely take a while to eradicate and it may be a case of closing the barn door after the horse got out.

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 07-30-2020 at 10:22 PM.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

ADPi start "throwing diamonds" in the 70s, and I'm not really sure that the whole gang culture was very big then. As it's a very simple sign, I don't mind it (I've thrown one with a Santa Claus!), but some really do look a little odd.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
ADPi start "throwing diamonds" in the 70s, and I'm not really sure that the whole gang culture was very big then. As it's a very simple sign, I don't mind it (I've thrown one with a Santa Claus!), but some really do look a little odd.
What does gang culture have to do with it?
Old 07-30-2020, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Performative BS
Old 07-30-2020, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

In the parlance of "appropriation of culture".
Old 07-30-2020, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

APhi’s Ivy Leaf, DG’s salute, GPhiB Crescent, and PiPhi’s wings are 4 that aren’t the same. I hope they stay.

Some of them (like the quatrefoil) are ridiculous, as most girls can’t do them! And soooo many look alike.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

The questions is whether the adoption of handsigns and step shows etc on the part of the Professional Fraternities at HBCUs (Alpha Phi Omega, Gamma Sigma Sigma, Kappa Kappa Psi, Tau Beta Sigma) falls into the same category. It is adaptation of the the NPHC concepts, but almost entirely by other African Americans.

(This can be dated to the late 1940s or early 1950s)
Old 07-30-2020, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhi2KD View Post
APhi’s Ivy Leaf, DG’s salute, GPhiB Crescent, and PiPhi’s wings are 4 that aren’t the same. I hope they stay.

Some of them (like the quatrefoil) are ridiculous, as most girls can’t do them! And soooo many look alike.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Alpha Phi stole their hand sign from AKA. So, there's that.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
What does gang culture have to do with it?
That’s my question. The appropriation discussion is about the NPHC, so I’m not sure what gangs has to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhi2KD View Post

Ahhhhh...I forgot about the Alpha Phi Ivy. That is often a topic of conversation. Every year it’s “discovered” by someone and then bidday pictures make the rounds on the social media pages, because of the similarity to AKA. Zeta Phi Beta and Phi Beta Sigma also throw wings as well, but for Doves. However, I can’t say I’ve seen any comments about Pi Phi.