GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Zeta > Zeta Tau Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,557
1 members and 2,556 guests
No Members online

Old 10-10-2002, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Zeta chapters and family legacies

I am under the impression that a family legacy with a sorority is considered to be a really good thing. (Not quite sure how to word this). If I went to another school aside from the chapter that all 4 of my cousins pledged for, would it amount to anything?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-11-2002, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I suppose you are posting this on the ZTA board because you are ZTA legacy, right?

However, in most NPC sororities, a cousin is not a legacy so a ZTA will have to answer that for you.

Just wanted to let you know, that in my organization when considering legacies (sisters, daughters and grand daughters or initiates), we were not allowed to give legacies from our own chapter any more preference than legacies that came from other chapters of our org. Now, this is in reference to our voting system, so it is entirely possible that some individuals did prefer those from our chapter on a personal level and it could have affected their opinions...

Anyway, that's all I have to say!
Old 10-11-2002, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Legacies are given additional consideration during recruitment, but are not guaranteed a bid. This is pretty standard for all NPC groups, otherwise there are some chapters whose new member classes would be filled up entirely with legacies, and still leave several legacies unmatched. It's crazy, but in TX for example, where ZTA is HUGE, there are often as many as 100 or more ZTA legacies going through recruitment. If quota is only 50-75, you see the problem.

If there is a specific issue you'd like to discuss, feel free to PM me.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 10-16-2002, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, I think cousins are considered indirect legs. But I had the same situation - I go to a school where there are none of the organizations that my family members were in. But if your recruitment application asks if you are a legacy to any organization, go ahead and put it. It will at least show that you come from a strong Greek background.

BTW, I see you're in Hilton Head. I'm in Charleston. Where are you planning to go to school?
Old 10-30-2002, 09:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTAMich
We'll have one direct legacy coming through next semester for formal recruitment. Her sister will still be in the chapter--neat o!

BrownEyedGirl that is the sweetest story about that sister from Fl coming up for Initiation. I hope my little sisters go to college where there is Zeta and get in so I can do the same for them!
Old 10-30-2002, 05:40 PM

We have initiation this Friday so we may have some surprise visits.
Old 11-01-2002, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

We had about 10 legacies coming through recruitment this past August, and 2 of them were blood little sisters of active collegiate members in our chapter. I can't remember who all the legacies are, but the 2 I mentioned both went Zeta & their older sisters were ecstatic! I wish I had siblings so I could coax them into rushing! I plan on having 4 daughters someday (FAR in the future) & I'll be like,"All of you have to join Zeta or ELSE!" j/k
Old 11-14-2002, 10:21 AM
GreekChat Member

HEllo Ladies, I am what you would call an illigetimate legacy. My Great-Aunt was a founding member of one chapter of ZTA (Beta Omega) and I am an alum from Delta Mu. I am not sure if it helped the chapter as far as offering me a bid; but it sure gave me a push in the right direction. My cousin will be attending the University of South Carolina or Univeristy of Maryland. I am not sure if they have ZTA or not, but she will be pledgeing something. Hope and Pray for ZTA!
Old 11-15-2002, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

"Better" is in the eye of the beholder! Go Gamecocks!
Old 11-20-2002, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I tried to post this the other day but GC was not cooperating!

I found out after I was initiated that my cousin (who is 14 years older than me) is a Zeta from Rider University in NJ! My aunt tried to tell me this when I told her I was pledging but because her English is limited I was like yeah right. LOL! She was like 'yeah your cousin gets a magazine here every once in a while' I later found out she was right!