GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,406
1 members and 1,405 guests
TLLK

Old 06-10-2020, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Vincennes University in Indiana is a 2 year school (with a very few 4 year degree offerings) and they have local sororities and fraternities. Somehow those seem to do fine even with a 2-year turnover. Maybe due to Vincennes being somewhat residential.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 06-10-2020, 04:03 PM

This is another thought I had as to why this task force was created. Are local groups forming at the CCs, the CCs are worried about risk management, and they want national groups to help shoulder the burden?
Old 06-10-2020, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

At one college where I taught (many of you know which one), the school forced the locals to nationalize. I expect it was due to liability issues, which were so bad that I really don't know why no one was seriously injured.
Old 06-11-2020, 12:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
Vincennes University in Indiana is a 2 year school (with a very few 4 year degree offerings) and they have local sororities and fraternities. Somehow those seem to do fine even with a 2-year turnover. Maybe due to Vincennes being somewhat residential.

Vincennes University is an anomaly with a unique history. I wouldn't hold that institution up as an example compared to the typical 2-year community colleges found across the U.S.

True and Constant
Old 06-11-2020, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
Vincennes University is an anomaly with a unique history. I wouldn't hold that institution up as an example compared to the typical 2-year community colleges found across the U.S.
Vincennes has been offering Bachelor Degrees since 2005, so may be allowable under today's rules of expansion. Vincennes first dormitory was in 1968.

There are a few other schools that currently or formerly had dorms while only offering 2 year programs.

Richard Bland College which is a two year that is part of the William and Mary System has dormitories, so that would fall into that group and UVA -Wise (which used to be Clinch Valley College) fell into that group prior to becoming a 4 year school.

Southwestern Oregon Community College currently falls into that group.
Old 06-11-2020, 10:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Texas 2 years that would qualify

- Blinn College in Brenham
- Kilgore College
- Tyler Junior College
- Navarro College
Old 06-12-2020, 08:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
There are a few other schools that currently or formerly had dorms while only offering 2 year programs.

There's Sullivan County Community College, part of the SUNY system. I learned about that one from watching the documentary "Three Identical Strangers." Two of the three triplets went to school there.
Old 06-12-2020, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
- Blinn College in Brenham
- Kilgore College
- Tyler Junior College
- Navarro College
Maybe Jacksonville College too? Texas State Technical College?

I feel like Texas has a bunch of what I would call "little hybrids" that would fall under this model. They have 2 year and 4 year degrees, and many have residential life/dorms.

Sidebar - have you watched "Cheer" on Netflix about Navarro College? Sooo good.
Old 06-13-2020, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley1929 View Post
Maybe Jacksonville College too? Texas State Technical College?

I feel like Texas has a bunch of what I would call "little hybrids" that would fall under this model. They have 2 year and 4 year degrees, and many have residential life/dorms.

Sidebar - have you watched "Cheer" on Netflix about Navarro College? Sooo good.
LOVED "Cheer"!
Old 06-13-2020, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

As an ex cheerleader Cheer was so good! Would 100% give it a recommendation.

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 06-14-2020, 01:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Do you mean they get a bachelor’s degree?
Yup, this is becoming more and more a thing at community colleges and I expect we'll only see it continue to expand with the realities of COVID. My local community college has two bachelors degrees on offer, both pretty new programs.
https://www.austincc.edu/news/2019/0...te-bsn-program

https://www.austincc.edu/news/2019/0...ee-spring-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittDZ View Post
Here in Texas, we have 2 programs that accept community college students. The one at Texas A&M is called Blinn Team and the one at the University of Texas is called PACE. Students attend CC + 1 class at the main university for Freshman year and are guaranteed admission if they attain a certain GPA, which I think is about a 3.2-3.5. I believe they are limited to certain majors, such as Communications, Education, Liberal Arts, and Social Work. Most of the sororities accept these transfer students although, if I am being honest, they are not usually at the top of their lists. Most of these students were of the caliber of wait list students at major universities which, in Texas, are those that were not in the top 10-15% of their graduating classes. This is clearly difficult for those that attend high-performing suburban high schools with high academic standards which, in every other state, would be sought after students by your state universities. That is why so many of our top students attend out-of-state universities, such as Oklahoma, Missouri, LSU, Ole Miss, Alabama, Auburn, and Arkansas.
That's pretty accurate about PACE, but remember right now automatic admission to UT is top 6% of your high school class. You can be top 7% and not get in. I can't speak to sorority recruitment but there are some out of this world PACE students from an academic standpoint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
This is another thought I had as to why this task force was created. Are local groups forming at the CCs, the CCs are worried about risk management, and they want national groups to help shoulder the burden?
Something kind of like that is happening with fraternities at UT. (UT chapters underground pledging community college students.) Not with sororities though.
Old 08-05-2020, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Subscribing to this thread. This is fascinating to me and I think it really needs to be looked at hard if trends with virtual degrees and push back on exclusivity of Greek life continues. We may need more city based organizations like NPHC groups. Would definitely help for alumnae engagement.
Old 08-05-2020, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittDZ View Post
Here in Texas, we have 2 programs that accept community college students. The one at Texas A&M is called Blinn Team and the one at the University of Texas is called PACE. Students attend CC + 1 class at the main university for Freshman year and are guaranteed admission if they attain a certain GPA, which I think is about a 3.2-3.5. I believe they are limited to certain majors, such as Communications, Education, Liberal Arts, and Social Work. Most of the sororities accept these transfer students although, if I am being honest, they are not usually at the top of their lists. Most of these students were of the caliber of wait list students at major universities which, in Texas, are those that were not in the top 10-15% of their graduating classes. This is clearly difficult for those that attend high-performing suburban high schools with high academic standards which, in every other state, would be sought after students by your state universities. That is why so many of our top students attend out-of-state universities, such as Oklahoma, Missouri, LSU, Ole Miss, Alabama, Auburn, and Arkansas.
This is very true. Depending on your test scores - you can come out of these suburban HS in the top of the 3rd quarter (3.5gpa) - but qualify for near in state tuition at OSU, 'Bama, LSU, Ole Miss. I've written one TAMU reference (For a junior) the rest have been Arkansas, Ole Miss, OSU and Alabama. These High Schools have around 1250/25 average test scores. And that is the average. I think the state average ACT is 20.5.

But also the cost of college has skyrocketed. I found my first college bill cleaning out my mom's things last week. The whole bill, Tuition, Fees, Room and full meal plan was around $1600 in 1985. If you take into account inflation - that would be $3,830. My daughter's bill at a school in the UT system - before we cancelled the apartment for the semester - $10,845 (It's now $7345). That is a HUGE difference in price.

This whole COVID distance learning thing is once again bringing the value of the current college education structure into question.

I don't know what the answer is - but I think that at least in Texas - if the community college has 4 year degrees and a level of student retention, I can see having NPC orgs. But with the understanding that there is no guarantee that you can transfer your affiliation. Just like if I went to Texas State and transfered to UT.

Having pledged at a school without houses, but the houses were built and open by my senior year - I see the pluses of having the "traditional" sorority experience. But I still felt like I was having a full sorority experience before the house was built.
Old 05-24-2021, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Bumping this interesting thread. Has any NPC group voted to expand to CCs should the NPC allow same?

Additionally, today marks the 119th anniversary of the NPC's founding.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.

Last edited by Cheerio; 05-24-2021 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-24-2021, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Here's to 119 years and many more!

I have been looking around the NPC blog and haven't seen anything regarding it. Maybe as colleges reopen they'll look more into it.

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story