GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 2,076
3 members and 2,073 guests
aanglasshulzea7, bmilestts1685

Old 05-31-2006, 11:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jitterbug13 Send a message via Yahoo to jitterbug13
Game Show Marathon

Does anyone plan to watch this?

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/game_show_marathon/

Tonight they are doing "The Price is Right" and tomorrow will be "Let's Make a Deal".

Please discuss.

"I'd rather be hated for what I am than loved for what I'm not."--Kanye West

"Black is the new President."--Tracey Morgan
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-31-2006, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

The Price is Right is NOT The Price is Right without Bob Barker.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Didn't Game Show Network just recently fail and get pulled from the air (or about to be pulled)?? So what makes them think that this is a good idea?? And who decided RICKI LAKE would be a good idea??
Old 05-31-2006, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaFrog
Didn't Game Show Network just recently fail and get pulled from the air (or about to be pulled)?? So what makes them think that this is a good idea?? And who decided RICKI LAKE would be a good idea??
It's still on, haven't heard or seen anything about it getting pulled.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I haven't heard anything about GSN trying to pull the games. I wonder why since most (if not all) of these game shows are/were on CBS.

I also agree about TPIR not being the TPIR without Bob. And with Bob Eubanks and Monty Hall still alive, they could have brought on the orginal hosts of some of these shows (the Press Your Luck host just past away a few weeks ago). But at least Ricki's back on TV (I was a big fan of the talk show in HS).

I'm willing to give this show a shot. If it's not close to the orginals as possible, I'm going to be highly upset.

*paging Rainman for this thread, Rainman*

Old 05-31-2006, 12:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kddani
It's still on, haven't heard or seen anything about it getting pulled.
I could have sworn I saw a blurb about it getting yanked somewhere.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Studio 33 (aka The Bob Barker Studio), CBS Television City
OK, I'm here

Quote:
Originally posted by jitterbug13
I haven't heard anything about GSN trying to pull the games. I wonder why since most (if not all) of these game shows are/were on CBS.

I also agree about TPIR not being the TPIR without Bob. And with Bob Eubanks and Monty Hall still alive, they could have brought on the orginal hosts of some of these shows (the Press Your Luck host just past away a few weeks ago). But at least Ricki's back on TV (I was a big fan of the talk show in HS).

I'm willing to give this show a shot. If it's not close to the orginals as possible, I'm going to be highly upset.

*paging Rainman for this thread, Rainman*
To say that TPIR isn't TPIR without Bob is IMHO one-dimensional and shortsighted to say the least. Remember, that there was an original version of TPIR that aired back in the 50s and 60s that was hosted by Bill Cullen that IMHO was a really cool game show on its own merits. For all you know, there could be some folk out there who don't like the current Price is Right because they though Bill Cullen WAS The Price is Right. But I digress somewhat.

During the Barker run of TPIR ('72-present) there have been three nighttime versions of TPIR that was NOT hosted by Barker and with the exception of one of the three incarnations, was still an entertaining show to watch. Let's review:

70s nighttime version--Hosted by Dennis James ('72-'79). James was just as good of a host as Barker and it was still an awesome show to watch. Now while Barker took over the nighttime version for its final season before it got cancelled in '80, it was NOT because James' hosting skills were subpar; weekly nighttime game shows were beginning to decline by that time anyhow.

80s nighttime version--Hosted by Tom Kennedy ('85-'86). Like James, Kennedy did a superb job at hosting, although he doesn't give himself enough credit in this venue. But again, good show, and just as fun to watch as the Barker version

(side note: while this was going on in the syndication circuit, during the summer of 1986, CBS aired special hour-long nighttime versions hosted by Bob Barker on Thursday nights at 8 p.m.--perhaps it was done as a test run for a nighttime show that upcoming season; at any rate it couldn't surpass Cosby's runaway ratings and the run ended once the '86-'87 season began)

90s nighttime version--Hosted by Doug Davidson ('94-'95). While like James and Kennedy, he did a decent hosting job, the shows format and familiar set was changed TOO radically (a new feature called "The Price WAS Right" and a showcase where a single player participated in a "Range Game"-like format alienated it faithful viewers and it was quickly cancelled.

Long story short: watch an episode of each incarnation of TPIR, THEN cast judgment. It is for that reason I am reserving comment on host Ricki Lake until I see her in action.

Now for the Game Show marathon: From what I have seen they are true to from in format, gameplay, and set design. The GS community is excited and highly anticipating its first show to air tonight (TPIR). Also from what I have heard, these shows are supposed to function as pilots for possible upcoming show series on CBS, so depending on the ratings and reviews of these shows, it is possible that you will be seeing them again soon.

I am in DC again on business, so I have to tape these shows, but I am quietly anticipating their arrival.

For more commentary on the Game Show Marathon, log on to:

TV Gameshows.net

Last edited by Rain Man; 05-31-2006 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to mulattogyrl Send a message via Yahoo to mulattogyrl
LOL @ your knowledge of history about game shows.

It's a jungle out there.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^^
And that's why I asked him to "come on down"!

I do remember someone else hosted TPIR before Bob Barker and Ialso remember Paul from Y&R hosting the nighttime show. But CBS occassionaly still does the nighttime shows (and they give away the best prizes). They just did one on Valentine's Day. But for many of us who did not live in the 50s and 60s or don't remember, Bob IS TPIR.

RM, I'm shocked that you are entuistic about this. I thought you would be upset that they are bringing back these old shows and would be afraid that they would be messed up. But I'm glad you're keeping an open mind.

And BTW, Richard Dawson (Family Feud) is still alive too.

Old 05-31-2006, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I am watching it.....Ricki Lake isn't the best choice. I actually think Paige Davis was better as a contestant than Ricki was as a host!
Old 06-01-2006, 10:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Last night's show drove me crazy!

Ricki needs to stay in the talk show world. It seemed like she had no control over the show. I still don't know how the Baywatch chick won.

The game is called Hole in One (or two)! She only had one shot and my mother even said Ricki needs to show how it's done (like Bob is the one that puts first).

And if Bob can do six pricing games, two showdowns and a showcase in one hour, Ricki can do the same. They only did a 35 minute game in an hour. And the way they determined who got to the showcase..

One thing I did like is that they did go over the history of the show.

I really hope they redemed themselves tonight with "Let's Make A Deal".

Old 06-01-2006, 10:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
No, they can't pull the Game Show Network! I love that channel. Mr. Pi Phi and I are hooked! (Yes it's sad, anmd I feel like I should wear pants up around my boobs and retire to Florida, but I don't care!).

I watched Game Show Marathon, and I enjoyed it. It's stupid and probably won't last long. It's mindless entertainment like Deal or No Deal, but it's still fun.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to polarpi
Quote:
The game is called Hole in One (or two)! She only had one shot and my mother even said Ricki needs to show how it's done (like Bob is the one that puts first).
That's the same thing I said

My mom, when I said that, however, reminded me that originally it was only Hole in One. But Ricki still needed to show Kathy how it was done.

If I catch it tonight, I catch it...if not, oh well.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

No Whammies!

I have no idea why they picked Ricki Lake for this thing. I will definitely watch when they show Press Your Luck.

Last edited by ShaedyKD; 06-02-2006 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Studio 33 (aka The Bob Barker Studio), CBS Television City
Quote:
Last night's show drove me crazy!

Ricki needs to stay in the talk show world. It seemed like she had no control over the show. I still don't know how the Baywatch chick won.

And if Bob can do six pricing games, two showdowns and a showcase in one hour, Ricki can do the same. They only did a 35 minute game in an hour. And the way they determined who got to the showcase..

One thing I did like is that they did go over the history of the show.

I really hope they redemed themselves tonight with "Let's Make A Deal".
Jitterbug, Jitterbug, Jitterbug...

I am getting the notion that you are not fully hip to the full history of TPIR.

You are watching TPIR from the wrong vantage point.

Instead of watching it as if it should be an hourlong show, you should have watched it as if it was the original half-hour show, only with bonus features added. In the original half hour version, there was no Showcase Showdown; it was just the two highest winning players went to the showcase, so the showdown portion you saw was a first time "addition" to the "half-hour" format.

Ditto the poster who said that originally Hole in One was a one-shot deal. You missed, you lost. Simple as that. But I do agree that Ricki should have given that inspiration putt.

I am still undecided on Ricki's performance however. Once I see her in action on all the shows, then I can cast a verdict.

Oh, Jitterbug, if you want more discussion on TPIR, you can visit this message board exclusively devoted to The Price is Right:

Golden Road.net