GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,787
1 members and 1,786 guests
Titchou

Old 06-21-2007, 12:59 PM
GreekChat Member

In addition to getting one recommendation per sorority, you should have 1-3 letters of support from alumnae for each sorority at Ole Miss.

Letters of support for Ole Miss chapters should come from alumnae members of the sororities that know you personally. These letters should describe all of the positive attributes you bring a as a potential member of the sorority and any personal anecdotes or endorsements of you by the person writing the letter. They should be at least one page and not more than 2 pages long.

A recommendation/reference is an informational form. Submitting this is in triplicate is unnecessary, but the letters of support help act as a positive additonal reference.

To help your recommenders, you should prepare a social resume that includes your contact information, all schools attended (HS and college), all GPAs, major, HS and college extracurriculars, any special awards received, scholarships received, community service record and list any family members who have been members of a sorority and at what schools. You may also want to include 2 photos of yourself (one close-up headshot and one full body photo). These don't have to be professional portraits-- just good photos of you to help match a face to the name.

Last edited by adpiucf; 06-21-2007 at 01:17 PM. Reason: ETA: about the letters of support
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-21-2007, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Candiceena,

It's a difficult recruitment from the PNM perspective even if you are the "ideal" candidate in terms of being a freshman, well connected in the groups, great grades, etc.

I think people just want you to be aware that it's possible it could be pretty hard on the ol' self esteem to go through as a junior because most groups aren't thinking about juniors.

Personally, I think if you can face the possibility of rejection since you understand how complicated it might be to get a bid as a junior, you ought to give it a try.

You almost certainly won't be able to join if you don't go through because I don't think there are many bids given out informally in COB/COR after recruitment. So the only way to get a shot at joining is the put yourself out there in recruitment.

So get your recs, make sure you know what they other girls will be wearing each round, and go for it, but remember when the invite lists come back between rounds, not to take any bad results really personally.

Good luck!
Old 06-21-2007, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
In addition to getting one recommendation per sorority, you should have 1-3 letters of support from alumnae for each sorority at Ole Miss.

Letters of support for Ole Miss chapters should come from alumnae members of the sororities that know you personally.

To help your recommenders, you should prepare a social resume that includes your contact information, all schools attended (HS and college), all GPAs, major, HS and college extracurriculars, any special awards received, scholarships received, community service record and list any family members who have been members of a sorority and at what schools. You may also want to include 2 photos of yourself (one close-up headshot and one full body photo). These don't have to be professional portraits-- just good photos of you to help match a face to the name.
I honestly don't know about the number of letters of support, but I completely second the social resume, and if it seems kind of crazy to you (as it might) please understand that it's going to be second nature to many of the other girls going through. This is the kind of stuff that is done for an SEC recruitment that we're talking about!
Old 06-21-2007, 01:09 PM

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...8&postcount=91

Here's a good post I made awhile back in the Recommendation Info thread about where to find sorority alumnae (if yiu have trouble locating them in your area).

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Man... I am so glad that I opted to go to a local university rather then Ole Miss.

I got in, it could have been fun on such a large campus- but it really seems like recruitment is taken way too seriously there. I am sure each chapter is fabulous and has a lot to offer, but geez!

Candi- GOOD LUCK! I hope you make it through and beat the odds, I enjoy stories when the little guys win Be sure to keep us GC'ers updated.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
Another Ole Miss question...

Theoretically, if 1200 PNMs Rushed, and if all PNMs accepted all invites, and none were completely dropped by all houses, do ya'll still use the (basic, I know it's more complicated than this) 1200/9 release figures or is there another way of determining how many to keep?? I can't imagine how this works in a school that Greek-heavy.
Each house in the past, including last year, is given a number of PNM's they have to release based on their current membership numbers and their numbers from previous recruitments. So if XYZ sorority isn't near chapter total they will release less and vice versa. I think this year Greek Life might actually use the new formulas. For some reason I have this memory that they didn't use the new formulas to their fullest last year. I would also venture to say that there will be around 800-900 PNMs going through recruitment. The most enrolled that I can remember was in fall of 2003 when there was right at 1000 that went through recruitment. That was the year that all the sororities at Ole Miss had huge pledge classes (like in the upper 90s). I have a feeling that numbers might be down a little bit this year since enrollment is down. However, it's too early to tell because they have until September 7, 2007 to register for Recruitment this year. The first event is on August 26 and that is the new round they implemented last year called "Ice Water" Open House Parties. Very informal and short and sweet parties. Then the next set of parties start on Sept. 26, 2007, ending with Bid Day on Sept. 30.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

A few quick questions, just to verify...

a) pledge class is what? the number of new members to the sorority?

b) as far as recs go...do they have to be (in my case) from alumnae that attended Ole Miss?

Thanks ladies!
Old 06-21-2007, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by candiceena View Post

b) as far as recs go...do they have to be (in my case) from alumnae that attended Ole Miss?

Thanks ladies!
a) Yes a pledge class is the same as a new member class.

b) I'm going to let someone who attended Ole Miss or an SEC school answer this one.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Thanks ladies!
Pledge class are the new members of the sorority before they are initiated (full members).

And it would SERIOUSLY help you if your recs were from Ole Miss alums, but if you can't locate any, they CAN be from any alums.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Thanks ladies!
a) New Member Class (aka Pledge Class)--number of new members in a class that all pledge at the same time during a recruitment period. (That's how I would define it!)

b) I think it does help if your recs are from Ole Miss alumnae. However, if you can't get them from Ole Miss alumnae, still have a rec for each sorority.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

One more question...I have seen many posts and also some of the Ole Miss websites saying "resumes" - am I correct in my assumption that you are speaking of the social resumes?

What exactly goes on these types of things?
Old 06-21-2007, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

for the purposes of sorority recruitment a social resume is what you need.

Include:
NAME
Contact info
Names/Sorority Affiliations/Colleges of any Greek family members
HS attended/Year graduated/GPA
SAT/ACT scores
Year in school (college)
List any colleges attended and years of attendance
college GPA
Major/Minor
Honors/Scholarships/Awards (HS/College/Community)
Extracurriculars/School Activities (HS/College/Community)

Do not put your SSN on any of these social resumes!
Old 06-21-2007, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Make sure you have a rec for Phi Mu.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Good luck!

If you know anyone that went to Ole Miss, a rec from them would be your best bet seeing as how you aren't a legacy and will be a junior.

I'd make sure to work it into every convo at every house that you will be on campus for 3-4 years because of your triple major. Also, with a triple major, please make sure that you will have the time to be in a sorority.

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 06-21-2007, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I definitely plan on doing that. Thanks for the tip.

Also, I have noticed somewhat of a trend as far as suggestions that I meet as many girls as possible before rush. Are there many girls that stay on campus during the summer?

I was considering maybe starting during one of the summer terms, that way I might meet more of the girls. Do you think this may increase my chance and would be a good idea, or no?