GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,434
0 members and 1,434 guests
No Members online

Old 08-01-2010, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmagnolia View Post
Would I be remiss to wear anything other than heels?
The Escher red croc shoes Alumiyum posted would be SO cute with that black dress
I kind of want the outfit myself!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-01-2010, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellebud View Post
"When one buys a fabulous dress, even without a specific occasion at which to wear it, some occasion will come up. That is the magic of a good wardrobe."

Ellebud
I hope that this is true!!

I was at the mall about a month ago and saw an adorable dress that was on sale. It wasn't a shape I had worn before, and it was multi-colored, so pretty "loud", but it was just too cute not to try on. I tried it on and it looked great on me. And usually, I don't like the way most dresses look on me. So I bought it. And now I'm just waiting for a reason to wear it.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Some things I think are cute...

http://http://www.lulus.com/products/about-town-dress/26108.html
w/ some dress black wedges possibly

http://www.lulus.com/products/party-atmosphere-dress-in-black/25725.html

http://http://www.lulus.com/products...gne/25431.html
this is pretty but i'm just not sure about the light color. you'd have to have the right skin tone.

http://www.lulus.com/products/a-girl...ack/25379.html

http://www.lulus.com/products/moonli...ess/23672.html

I just really like Lulu's for dresses
Old 08-01-2010, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

^^ Dresses are cute, but UGH strapless for pref? You're going to be hitching that baby up every 45 seconds. Don't do it.

/YMMV
Old 08-01-2010, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^
didn't really think about that. I feel like bigger chested girls have issues keeping strapless where it's supposed to be as well as very small chested girls. i think that in b/w is usually okay.
they also have fashion tape that you stick inside the top of the dress & then to your skin that really helps. i've used them for homecoming/prom/ social mixers before
Old 08-01-2010, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't understand people freaking out about strapless dresses. I have a big chest and I've never ever had an issue keeping a strapless dress up.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanygirl View Post
^^^
didn't really think about that. I feel like bigger chested girls have issues keeping strapless where it's supposed to be as well as very small chested girls. i think that in b/w is usually okay.
they also have fashion tape that you stick inside the top of the dress & then to your skin that really helps. i've used them for homecoming/prom/ social mixers before
Yeah I've just watched people go through prom, formal, semi formal, etc. all doing the "hitch-wiggle." Or even if the dress actually didn't need it, they felt compelled to try the hitch just to be sure. Probably related to the fact that if you have cleavage it looks so much more exposed from your point of view looking down than it does for people looking at you from the front.

PNMs should just test out the dress and know whether they're a hitcher or the dress is going to make them one

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADqtPiMel View Post
I don't understand people freaking out about strapless dresses. I have a big chest and I've never ever had an issue keeping a strapless dress up.
Well, I don't know you cup size, obviously, but for me, even things with thin straps need hitching now and then. I'm sure it also depends on the cut of the rest of the dress, how heavy it is, insecurity about hitching even when not needed etc. Nittanygirl is right though, I think they're usually designed for people in the B-C cup range and outside of that you struggle.

I also tend to think that strapless dresses are more likely to lean towards the "sexy party" type and less the "classy pref night" type, but that could just be my own bias.

As for not understanding, some people have trouble, though I'm not sure who's "freaking out" so some people raise that point.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post

Well, I don't know you cup size, obviously, but for me, even things with thin straps need hitching now and then. I'm sure it also depends on the cut of the rest of the dress, how heavy it is, insecurity about hitching even when not needed etc. Nittanygirl is right though, I think they're usually designed for people in the B-C cup range and outside of that you struggle.

I also tend to think that strapless dresses are more likely to lean towards the "sexy party" type and less the "classy pref night" type, but that could just be my own bias.

As for not understanding, some people have trouble, though I'm not sure who's "freaking out" so some people raise that point.
I'm a 32F...so pretty big chested. A lot of it has to do with buying the right kind of strapless dress -- there are of course some that don't come up high enough on the chest and those would sag down. And having a good strapless bra.

I didn't mean to single out your post as "freaking out" -- I've just seen it on multiple threads here that everyone should avoid strapless dresses since they always fall down (pref dress threads, wedding threads, general fashion threads...) Halter dresses look awful on me, but I don't automatically tell everyone they shouldn't buy a halter dress.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:26 PM

I think it all depends on how the strapless dress fits and what sort of bra you're wearing under it. Those things are so iffy, especially if you're shopping online, that I think most people are just erring on the side of caution.

Although heaven knows strapless bras have come a LONG way, even the less expensive ones.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm a 32F...so pretty big chested. A lot of it has to do with buying the right kind of strapless dress -- there are of course some that don't come up high enough on the chest and those would sag down. And having a good strapless bra.

I didn't mean to single out your post as "freaking out" -- I've just seen it on multiple threads here that everyone should avoid strapless dresses since they always fall down (pref dress threads, wedding threads, general fashion threads...) Halter dresses look awful on me, but I don't automatically tell everyone they shouldn't buy a halter dress.
I agree, I just think that most PNMs aren't spending their money on a good long lasting strapless bra that fits right and the dress too. True for college students as well. I'm at least a 40DD atm, though I need to get resized, and I wonder if a smaller band size makes the fit 'better' even though the larger cup size is probably harder to find.

(Side note, know anything about Bravissima? I've hear their good and intend to order from them soon, just getting opinions.)

It's not so much about me with the strapless dresses, it's that 90% of the girls I've seen wearing them look uncomfortable because of the constant hitching, and if there's a time to NOT make that mistake, it's pref.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Question - and I realize I may be showing my age here: Does a PNM want to look more formal than the sisters at Pref?
Old 08-01-2010, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
(Side note, know anything about Bravissima? I've hear their good and intend to order from them soon, just getting opinions.)
I tried a few when I got sized, I think -- they didn't work for me but I know a lot of people who rave about them. All of my bras are from Chantelle -- super expensive but they fit me perfectly.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I tried a few when I got sized, I think -- they didn't work for me but I know a lot of people who rave about them. All of my bras are from Chantelle -- super expensive but they fit me perfectly.
Ooh ok. My only hesitation is sizing myself since I'm rubbish with a tape measure, but my friend's fitting me for a bridesmaid dress today and I might get her to measure me while I do that. I'm fairly certain the current ones only fit because VS sized me for VS bras and they're old and wearing out.

/hijack
Old 08-01-2010, 03:58 PM

Can I borrow some of your 32F?

*looks at her barely B cup and pouts*

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Can I borrow some of your 32F?

*looks at her barely B cup and pouts*
*shares some of mine* I'm sick of having a shelf where any and all crumbs get saved for later