GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,737
2 members and 1,735 guests
Cookiez17, Sen's Revenge

Old 05-07-2007, 08:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Currently, I'm reading the following:

Queen Isabella: Treachery, Adultery, and Murder in Medieval England by Alison Weir
Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer
The Girlfriends' Guide to Pregnancy: Second Edition by Vicki Iovine
What to Expect When You're Expecting, Third Edition by Heidi Murkoff, Arlene Eisenberg, and Sandee Hathaway
Old 05-07-2007, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownxo View Post

Queen Isabella: Treachery, Adultery, and Murder in Medieval England by Alison Weir
What to Expect When You're Expecting, Third Edition by Heidi Murkoff, Arlene Eisenberg, and Sandee Hathaway

Read 'em all except the Krakauer. I LOOOOOOOVE Alison Weir!

Oh, and congrats on the little one!
Old 05-07-2007, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWithers View Post
Read 'em all except the Krakauer. I LOOOOOOOVE Alison Weir!

Oh, and congrats on the little one!
Alison Weir is my favorite author by far! I've read everything by her several times.

And thanks for the congrats! It'll be a great Christmas!
Old 05-07-2007, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I've been reading all the Harry Potter books over (in anticipation of the new release!) - just finished Order of the Phoenix and getting ready (tomorrow - my eyes are tired!) to start the Half-Blood Prince.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXO Alum View Post
I've been reading all the Harry Potter books over (in anticipation of the new release!) - just finished Order of the Phoenix and getting ready (tomorrow - my eyes are tired!) to start the Half-Blood Prince.
Finished the set a month or so ago......

So I am now reading nothing but Time magazine and patiently waiting for July.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulattogyrl View Post
Yes, this is a good book.

I'm reading:
Nickel and Dimed - Barbara Ehrenreich

Quote:
Originally Posted by alum View Post
I just finished Gap Creek and am rereading Nickel and Dimed.
I read Nickel and Dimed within the past year or so (which is recent for me - as I mentioned above, don't get much time for recreational reading anymore ). It was an enjoyable book - depressing, but fascinating.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Congrats to you. (Under the assumption that what I'm reading into your book selection is accurate. )

Sigh - read while you can now, and during early infancy. Mine are 3 and 2, and I'm still having a difficult time finding a lot of time for recreational reading. (If I'm going to read a novel, I need to read large chunks at a time to really get into the story - in fact, once I get going, I've been known to read a novel in one sitting. No time for that now! I'm lucky if I can finish a couple of magazine articles... )

But, its all worth the tradeoff...someday, I'll have all the time in the world to read, and I'll miss the active toddler years.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to mulattogyrl Send a message via Yahoo to mulattogyrl
Quote:
Originally Posted by jess_pom View Post
My coworker introduced me to Lisa Scottoline a couple months ago and I just finished Dirty Blonde. It's neat to see how much better she's gotten over the years. I even went to her book signing a couple weeks ago. She's very engaging in person.
I joined a book club, so her book was one of the ones I ordered. I didn't think I'd like it, but I'm finding I like her writing style.

I was supposed to start reading Marley and Me, but I'm scared to start it because if something happens to that dog, I'm going to fall apart, LOL.

It's a jungle out there.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I found this book fascinating. As an FYI, our PBS stations just aired a 2-part documentary on the LDS church history. I'm sure they will run it again, so your PBS affiliate may as well.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alum View Post
I found this book fascinating. As an FYI, our PBS stations just aired a 2-part documentary on the LDS church history. I'm sure they will run it again, so your PBS affiliate may as well.
Ditto to both! Our local PBS station ran the documentary last week as well. Since I've been unable to stay up past 9:30 these last couple of weeks, I Tivo'ed it and just finished watching it last night. It was amazing. From my non-LDS viewpoint, I think it was a pretty balanced portrayal of the LDS church.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Ditto to both! Our local PBS station ran the documentary last week as well. Since I've been unable to stay up past 9:30 these last couple of weeks, I Tivo'ed it and just finished watching it last night. It was amazing. From my non-LDS viewpoint, I think it was a pretty balanced portrayal of the LDS church.

I thought it was balanced as well.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I also found "Under The Banner of Heaven" really interesting...it was one of the books I picked up after my sister got engaged to a Mormon, and I liked reading the history of the LDS (and fundamental sector).

I just finished reading "The Glass Castle" by Jeannette Walls. Its a fantastic novel, one thats impossible to put down. STRONGLY recommend! I'm also reading the Dog Whisperer book because my boyfriend thinks we are letting our dog be the 'pack leader' when its our job. Interesting read, but I doubt I'll be able to follow his suggestions.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Summer's for the easy reads!

Well, since I just finished having to read text books on family psychopathology and the DSM, I thought a little light reading was in order, so I got a Celia Rivenbark book, Bless Your Heart, Tramp and Other Southern Endearments. Cute little short stories about all things southern. After that one, I'm going to read her latest work: Stop Dressing Your Six Year Old Like a Skank. I can't wait!

Old 05-09-2007, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTimeSBX View Post
uummm, judging from some of the other books, should i be reading classics and bestsellers? because frankly, they bore me. unless someone has any really good suggestions.

i am about to re-read Joy Luck Club for the 4th time, and i just finished A Piece Of Cake, by Cupcake Brown. this book is absolutely stunning. everything that could happen to this woman as a child, did. she is now a top attorney in California. if anyone claims that life dealt them a bad hand, and they cant get back on top of things? read this book and i assure you, there is hope for everyone.

gosh, i feel like the kids at the end of Reading Rainbow! i always wanted to review a book on there...that was like my 10 year old fantasy! i would practice in front of the mirror lol!
Read what you enjoy - that's what it's all about!

Thanks for the suggestion of "Under the Banner of Heaven". As an amateur genealogist, I deal with more than my share of LDS, and I try to keep a respectful but honest opinion.

I'm another fan of Alison Weir - but I'll read almost anything about the Tudors.

For those who like David Baldacci, try Brad Thor and Vince Flynn, too. Vince Flynn is almost scary, when you see the year of a copyright and then what happened IRL later! My uncle & I switch these books back & forth a lot!
Old 05-14-2007, 06:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Acceptance by Susan Coll.

This is a really funny work of fiction. It is a look at the college admissions process of three families and a stressed-out admissions counselor at a LAC that has just moved into the top 50 on the US News rankings through a data calculation error. The HS is supposedly in Montgomery County but it could be any upscale suburban school. I was on the waitlist for this book for a month but it was worth it!