GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 307,891
Threads: 114,787
Posts: 2,159,226
Welcome to our newest member, warsawswilliams
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 07-26-2007, 12:52 PM
ForeverRoses ForeverRoses is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: right here
Posts: 1,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUADPi View Post
I also got annoyed with my sister, her wedding was on my birthday. She knew it was my birthday. She saw me many times during the reception and she not once wished me a happy birthday. I undstand that it was her special day, but in some respects your birthday is your special day, all I wish was that she had ACKNOWLEDGED it. I wasn't wanting her to stop everything and have her friends and family sing happy birthday to me. But to have her say "thank you so much for coming to my wedding. happy birthday" would have been nice.
I got a card, but because I'm not married, I haven't heard from her in 2 years.
Wasn't this part of the plot in 16 Candles?
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 07-26-2007, 03:16 PM
Siggy_lxvi Siggy_lxvi is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTAngel View Post
Funny story. Just a side comment though. Women are fertile from the minute they go off the pill. It doesn't matter if they've been on the pill for 10 years or 1 month - they're fertile. That's why you hear of women who get pregnant when they screw up and forget to take their pill one day. In fact, from studies I've read, for some reason it's actually easier for women who have been on the pill to get pregnant than women who haven't. Just wanted to throw in that information in case any GCer who is currently on the pill gets freaked out with the thought that she might not be able to have a baby.
Hate to be a pain about this, but you're wrong. A woman is not automatically fertile the moment she stops taking the pill, and it's ridiculous to say she is, otherwise, rather than having a period during those seven days you're taking the sugar pills, you'd be getting pregnant. Sometimes it's as little as one day, sometimes it takes weeks or months. Sometimes a woman who stops taking the pill because she's trying to have a baby will have to actually take a few doses a couple of months down the road to "kick start" her reproductive system into ovulating properly again. (This is what often happens when a woman 'skips' a pill and gets knocked up: she's dropped the hormone level, then given it a little kick, and her system shoots out an egg.) I have numerous family members in professions related to reproductive physiology (not all of them HUMAN reproductive physiology I admit), have worked in one myself, and we ALL like to talk shop.

It always amuses me when I meet a woman who knows less about her ovaries than I do.
__________________
Sigma Pi
INTL: 87,442
Local: 2
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 07-26-2007, 03:36 PM
ZTAngel's Avatar
ZTAngel ZTAngel is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Stuck in I-285 Traffic
Posts: 7,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy_lxvi View Post
Hate to be a pain about this, but you're wrong. A woman is not automatically fertile the moment she stops taking the pill, and it's ridiculous to say she is, otherwise, rather than having a period during those seven days you're taking the sugar pills, you'd be getting pregnant. Sometimes it's as little as one day, sometimes it takes weeks or months. Sometimes a woman who stops taking the pill because she's trying to have a baby will have to actually take a few doses a couple of months down the road to "kick start" her reproductive system into ovulating properly again. (This is what often happens when a woman 'skips' a pill and gets knocked up: she's dropped the hormone level, then given it a little kick, and her system shoots out an egg.) I have numerous family members in professions related to reproductive physiology (not all of them HUMAN reproductive physiology I admit), have worked in one myself, and we ALL like to talk shop.

It always amuses me when I meet a woman who knows less about her ovaries than I do.
WebMD: http://www.webmd.com/content/article/75/89898.htm

It says it "could" take up to two months but then another doctor states further down "Stopping the pill? Right away." In other words, women can get pregnant right away. I had stated a woman can get pregnant right after going off the pill because you said it wasn't possible in your original post. Then you said in your most recent post "sometimes it's as little as one day"..... So why are you disagreeing with me then? And I get the whole sugar pills thing but thanks breaking it down for everyone.

I wasn't trying to be a jerk to you but obviously I have insulted you in some sort of way to have received such an offensive response so I apologize if my post had offended you.
__________________
ZTA

Last edited by ZTAngel; 07-26-2007 at 06:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 07-26-2007, 03:48 PM
AlphaFrog AlphaFrog is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: The Ozdust Ballroom
Posts: 14,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy_lxvi View Post
rather than having a period during those seven days you're taking the sugar pills, you'd be getting pregnant.
You're having your period - which means you're (aprox) 14 days away from ovulating. That's why you don't get pregnant on the sugar pills...you can't get pregnant during your period.

Let me clarify - you can END UP pregnant if you have sex during your period. But you cannot get pregnant while you're having your period, as you are not ovulating. Semen can stay in the body 7-10 days, and if you have a short cycle and end up ovulating within 10 days after your period, then yes, you can end up pregnant from the sex you had during your period. But due to the fact that the bleeding is flushing everything out of your body, it's not likely.
__________________
Facile remedium est ubertati; sterilia nullo labore vincuntur.
I think pearls are lovely, especially when you need something to clutch. ~ AzTheta
The Real World Can't Hear You ~ GC Troll

Last edited by AlphaFrog; 07-27-2007 at 07:27 AM. Reason: As to not further the hijack.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 07-26-2007, 03:52 PM
SWTXBelle's Avatar
SWTXBelle SWTXBelle is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Land of Chaos
Posts: 8,956
It's simple . . .

. . . if you are having sex, you COULD get pregnant. There are averages, there are observed patterns, there are clinical trials that may show the odds are you won't, there are percentages you can try to work, there are steps you can take to minimize the risk, but basically you should understand that short of not having sex nothing else is 100%.
I have 4 children. I planned to have 4 - but only in only 1 case did I become pregnant when the odds said I would. In fact, my last two are only 15 months apart, and I had the last one at 39. The statistics say I should have had a hard time getting pregnant with #3 at 37, never mind the odds of #4 at 39. And I was told before #1 that I might NEVER be able to get pregnant.
So, long story short - SEX COULD ALWAYS LEAD TO PREGNANCY is a good motto to live by.
__________________
Gamma Phi Beta
Courtesy is owed, respect is earned, love is given.
Proud daughter AND mother of a Gamma Phi. 3 generations of love, labor, learning and loyalty.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 07-26-2007, 03:58 PM
Drolefille Drolefille is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 13,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy_lxvi View Post
Hate to be a pain about this, but you're wrong. A woman is not automatically fertile the moment she stops taking the pill, and it's ridiculous to say she is, otherwise, rather than having a period during those seven days you're taking the sugar pills, you'd be getting pregnant. Sometimes it's as little as one day, sometimes it takes weeks or months. Sometimes a woman who stops taking the pill because she's trying to have a baby will have to actually take a few doses a couple of months down the road to "kick start" her reproductive system into ovulating properly again. (This is what often happens when a woman 'skips' a pill and gets knocked up: she's dropped the hormone level, then given it a little kick, and her system shoots out an egg.) I have numerous family members in professions related to reproductive physiology (not all of them HUMAN reproductive physiology I admit), have worked in one myself, and we ALL like to talk shop.

It always amuses me when I meet a woman who knows less about her ovaries than I do.
You're not necessarily fertile but you are potentially fertile, just like any other time that a woman is not on birth control. That's what she was saying.
__________________
From the SigmaTo the K!
Polyamorous, Pansexual and Proud of it!
It Gets Better
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 07-26-2007, 07:09 PM
ZTAngel's Avatar
ZTAngel ZTAngel is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Stuck in I-285 Traffic
Posts: 7,934
Ok, no more thread hijacks. Let's get this thread back to "Worst Wedding You've Ever Attended." I don't want this thread turning into a heated argument. Any subsequent posts regarding birth control, pregnancy, etc. will be deleted.
__________________
ZTA
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 07-26-2007, 07:38 PM
christiangirl christiangirl is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: in the midst of a 90s playlist
Posts: 9,763
Thank you. I was wondering if this was going to be a trainwreck before I got to tell my story...

Anyway, I'll keep it short. I've only been to a few weddings, but the worst out of the 3 was definitely my big sister's. I was the maid of honor, so I didn't have an escort going down the aisle (the best man was already up by the groom). This was terrifying for me as I'm dead clumsy and it was my first pair of heels. They had me wear them around the house for a few days to get used to them, but a fat lot of good that did. I tripped going down the aisle anyway. I would've played it off nicely had the photographer not jumped into the aisle trying to catch me. After successfully navigating the rest of the aisle, the wedding proceeds beautifully until the lighting of the Unity Candle. My sister and her almost-husband light the candle and turn away from each other to blow their individual candles out. My sister blows hers out, but the groom is just holding his, shoulders shaking. I'm standing behind them, so I'm watching his shoulders wondering why the hell he's laughing during his wedding, when suddenly he puffs out his cheeks, lets out a strangled sound like a tire blowing out, and throws his hand over his mouth while 2 groomsmen grab him under the arms and drag him from the church. We all just sort of sit in a stunned silence until somebody pokes (more like punches) the singer and tells her to go sing again, even though she'd just finished a song. After everything ended and the bridal party is back in their room, my sister tells us all about how her idiot husband got so tanked at his bachelor party that he'd been struggling not to throw up all through the wedding. Then, they all start scheming about how to get the dried throw up off the leg of his rented tux because my sister was freaking out having to pay an extra fee. However, after I tripped going up the steps for my portrait to be taken and made a thud that got the attention of everyone who hadn't left for the reception yet, there was a lot less tension in the room and a lot more laughing. After they came back from the honeymoon, they were going to copy the wedding video for family members who wanted one until they saw that the video zoomed in on the groom's faced as his cheeks exploded, cut to a random shot of the beach for a few seconds, then come back on at a different part of the wedding (which the timer at the bottom of the screen says was seven minutes later). After we saw that, we just kept it to ourselves.
__________________
"We have letters. You have dreams." ~Senusret I

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl

Last edited by christiangirl; 07-27-2007 at 01:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 07-26-2007, 09:49 PM
SWTXBelle's Avatar
SWTXBelle SWTXBelle is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Land of Chaos
Posts: 8,956
ROFL

Oh - the part about the video did it for me . . .I like the idea of the cut away scene at the beach!
__________________
Gamma Phi Beta
Courtesy is owed, respect is earned, love is given.
Proud daughter AND mother of a Gamma Phi. 3 generations of love, labor, learning and loyalty.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 08-27-2007, 08:14 AM
DaemonSeid DaemonSeid is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: In a house.
Posts: 9,562
Just this past Saturday

Ok.....this is up there.....this is one of those you just take notes and pray it doesn't happen to you:

1. the couple got married in Vegas and decided to have the reception later........
2. the reception was in a fireman's hall in Camden, NJ near a Campbell Soup factory and run down street next block over...not too far from a biker bar and because there was no sign outside of the bar or the hall...guess where most people went to first.
3. the food was over an hr late because the grandmother of the groom cooking the food was running late because she was lost.
4. speaking of, how about the bride's mom running around worried, comments that she never met the grandmother (who was to fix enough to feed approx. 200 people) but her daughter said that she has had her food and it was great
5. speaking of THAT, how about when the food arrives and everyone is served, everything was salty, like she just cut open the box and dumped the box over everything
6. since they weren't serving any, we had to run to the sto' (not store...but sto') to get drinks....we asked people did they want anything...and the same people that said NO...were at my table later bumming for drinks.
7. I could kind of see why being as there was no DJ so music was being played on an old CD player which kept skipping every other song so bad that people begged him to just turn on the radio...which he didn't.
7a. As there was no 'official' photographer, since I had possibly the 'best professional-looking' camera in there, I got drafted as the wedding photgrapher.....wait til they see my bill!
8. There was the girl that came in the tweety bird colored dress that was so exposing that she was one step or trip away from having a Beyonce moment. If your boobs or @ss is threatening to make a special guest appearance, maybe you shouldn't wear it.
9. Speaking of Beyonce....the first dance was to her song Flaws and All and then followed by an oldie "If You Don't Know Me By Now..." by Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes ...oddly enough these songs didn't skip.
10. The Groom's mother, the handsome woman that she was, fought with one of the younger girls because she almost caught the bouquet.....which resulted in less men going up to try and catch garter

and to round it all off.......as the evening winds down...it is announced that the bride is 5 months pregnant so if anyone would like to make donations, there was a box as you leave the building to put some money in.

The good news after all that was at least the AC worked as Saturday decided to go up to a sweltering 103 degrees.
__________________
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”

Last edited by DaemonSeid; 08-27-2007 at 09:04 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 08-27-2007, 08:23 AM
AlphaFrog AlphaFrog is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: The Ozdust Ballroom
Posts: 14,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonSeid View Post
and to round it all off.......as the evening winds down...it is announced that the bride is 5 months pregnant so if anyone would like to make donations, there was a box as you leave the building to put some money in.
Awe...they should have let this be known on the invites.

Something like:

Mr. and Mrs. Smith-Jones

Cordially Invite You

to Our

Wedding Reception

And

Baby Shower

P.S. Two gifts are expected. So there.
__________________
Facile remedium est ubertati; sterilia nullo labore vincuntur.
I think pearls are lovely, especially when you need something to clutch. ~ AzTheta
The Real World Can't Hear You ~ GC Troll
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 08-27-2007, 08:56 AM
DaemonSeid DaemonSeid is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: In a house.
Posts: 9,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
Awe...they should have let this be known on the invites.

Something like:

Mr. and Mrs. Smith-Jones

Cordially Invite You

to Our

Wedding Reception

And

Baby Shower

P.S. Two gifts are expected. So there.


RIGHT?????????
__________________
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 08-27-2007, 09:49 AM
OneTimeSBX OneTimeSBX is offline
GC Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The River City aka Richmond VA
Posts: 1,131
Send a message via AIM to OneTimeSBX Send a message via Yahoo to OneTimeSBX
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
Awe...they should have let this be known on the invites.

Something like:

Mr. and Mrs. Smith-Jones

Cordially Invite You

to Our

Wedding Reception

And

Baby Shower


P.S. Two gifts are expected. So there.
LMAO! Stop it! hell, you throw a birthday party up in there and you have trifecta of triflin....

i probably already know the bride is pregnant, ill hit her up at the baby shower in a few months...
__________________
SBX
our JEWELS shine like STARS...
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 08-27-2007, 02:45 PM
honeychile honeychile is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Counting my blessings!
Posts: 26,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
Awe...they should have let this be known on the invites.

Something like:

Mr. and Mrs. Smith-Jones

Cordially Invite You

to Our

Wedding Reception

And

Baby Shower

P.S. Two gifts are expected. So there.
Def in competition!!

Not too nasty, but I was at one wedding where it was so hot - and of course, the air conditioning in the church wasn't working! - that two bridesmaids and one groomsman fainted. I have to give the one bridesmaid credit, though - she grabbed the flag in a wild attempt to not fall. Needless to say, a flag is not sturdy enough to keep anyone over 10# from falling.
__________________
~*~ honeychile - ~ *~"ADPi until I die!"~*~
Proud to be a Macon Magnolia
"He who is not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 08-27-2007, 09:34 PM
AKA_Monet AKA_Monet is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Beyond
Posts: 5,117
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
She SAID that to you???Your MIL said that to you???
Yepper... She was mad because she didn't meet me before we married and we decided not to have all the "accoutrements" of a proper wedding of that of the Black Bourgeoisie that I was required to have from those of strong Southern undertones...

Just call it a "Cake Walk".

I cried. Because, I thought it wasn't so bad, there were things I could have improved. But under a month of planning at a destination location was tough. I don't suggest anyone doing what I did.

If you really must get married, JP, all the way. Cheaper and have a huge reception to get money for your future and a house.
__________________
We thank and pledge Alpha Kappa Alpha to remember...
"I'm watching with a new service that translates 'stupid-to-English'" ~ @Shoq of ShoqValue.com 1 of my Tweeple

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Half have attended more than one college??? hoosier Greek Life 28 11-15-2005 02:03 PM
Worst Wedding Ever (vent) aephi alum Chit Chat 41 08-11-2004 06:15 PM
It's the worst day ever. Sahara27 Careers & Employment 17 07-11-2004 08:34 PM
Wedding Story-Check out a Soror's wedding on Oct. 20th DELTABRAT Alpha Kappa Alpha 21 10-22-2003 05:58 PM
Best/Worst Wedding Gifts according to the Mrs. AKA2D '91 Alpha Kappa Alpha 14 06-25-2002 07:57 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.