GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,136
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PoodleDeNovo24
» Online Users: 1,195
2 members and 1,193 guests
Cookiez17, MSKKG

Old 07-30-2012, 07:12 PM
Banned

For-profits slammed.

Childhood online learning started in 1999. Is it safe to assume this is a for-profit targeting childhood education? Online learning has its limitations. For-profit and online learning are a bad idea for children even when they include partnerships with educators, administrators and schools.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I could actually see K12 being used for supplemental support for home schooled or even home bound students.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeykiss1974 View Post
I could actually see K12 being used for supplemental support for home schooled or even home bound students.
I too can see it working for children who are already being home schooled or are home bound.

It is probably also being used by parents who will use this to confirm their belief that the imperfections of the school systems warrant retreating to the confines of their homes.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:31 PM

^^^I'm all about online school in a situation where a child has a health condition that somehow makes it difficult for him/her to participate at school. Or even if your kid has a special need that is not well served by your local district. Ex: many districts around me don't have teachers who are trained in Autism.

Otherwise, I'm not a fan of the whole home/online school thing.

What it ends up being used for is:

*I want to keep my child in a bubble for religious or other reasons and avoid exposing him to viewpoints that contradict ours.

*It is inconvenient for me to drive my child to school or have them in school all day. (I have seen some suburban moms say this.)

*School conflicts with my child's super important competitive gymnastics/hockey/baseball schedule and the school kept getting on my nerves about taking him out every other day for practice/meets/etc.

*The schools aren't teaching MY child what I think he or she should be learning. So screw school altogether and I'll do it myself. *cue making crafts all day and calling it "school."*

I know, you can flame me, but I have noticed that home school is now the hot new mom thing, and contrary to popular belief, just because you gave birth to someone, doesn't make you qualified to be in control of their education. This is particularly true if you have no training in education.

Ex: I know people who graduated from my HS with Cs and are homeschooling their kids with the aid of an online program. Said people also regularly confuse to/two on Facebook. Have a seat, and send your kids to school.

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
^^^I'm all about online school in a situation where a child has a health condition that somehow makes it difficult for him/her to participate at school. Or even if your kid has a special need that is not well served by your local district. Ex: many districts around me don't have teachers who are trained in Autism.

Otherwise, I'm not a fan of the whole home/online school thing.

What it ends up being used for is:

*I want to keep my child in a bubble for religious or other reasons and avoid exposing him to viewpoints that contradict ours.

*It is inconvenient for me to drive my child to school or have them in school all day. (I have seen some suburban moms say this.)

*School conflicts with my child's super important competitive gymnastics/hockey/baseball schedule and the school kept getting on my nerves about taking him out every other day for practice/meets/etc.

*The schools aren't teaching MY child what I think he or she should be learning. So screw school altogether and I'll do it myself. *cue making crafts all day and calling it "school."*

I know, you can flame me, but I have noticed that home school is now the hot new mom thing, and contrary to popular belief, just because you gave birth to someone, doesn't make you qualified to be in control of their education. This is particularly true if you have no training in education.

Ex: I know people who graduated from my HS with Cs and are homeschooling their kids with the aid of an online program. Said people also regularly confuse to/two on Facebook. Have a seat, and send your kids to school.

You would only be flamed by those who are in denial.

Your post made me think of The Village. It was on SyFy yesterday. I am one of the relative few who like that movie. It speaks to the topic of online and home schooled K-12 learning. LOL.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
You would only be flamed by those who are in denial.
Your post made me think of The Village. It was on SyFy yesterday. I am one of the relative few who like that movie. It speaks to the topic of online and home schooled K-12 learning. LOL.
That is the truth! I agree 100% with everything you wrote KSUViolet. Seriously, I see so many people who can't differentiate between "there, they're, and their" but, they want to teach their children through home-school. Yeah, because YOU can do a MUCH BETTER job than someone who went to college for years and specialized in knowing the signs of learning disabilities and teaching your children.