GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,587
1 members and 1,586 guests
FSUZeta

Old 06-09-2021, 06:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

I see by the television news people with a lot of time on their hands are continuing to program robots for just about any/every job and activity. Who's up for programming multiple, hard-working 24/7 robots to write Sorority Recs for PNMs in need?

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-25-2021, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
I asked one of our former national officers about this. This lady is very involved in the fraternal Capitol Hill efforts.
Being recommended for membership by a current member is a vital part of fraternal organizations legally remaining single sex groups.
That's what she told me. Phi Mu has gotten around this by their national prez just recommended everybody sight unseen.
NPC seems to be pushing for this as a body.
It'll be interesting to see how they get around this little requirement....or maybe they just want to open every group up to everybody?
Is there any NPC group currently in violation of the bolded above?

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 07-25-2021, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
Is there any NPC group currently in violation of the bolded above?
Hard to say it's in violation if it's not in their Constitution or bylaws.

Old 07-25-2021, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

At the risk of being redundant, if anyone can recommend any PNM for any sorority, doesn't that negate the whole concept? What's to stop Nancy Nu from writing dishonest recs for all of the local PNMs to all but her sorority?
Old 07-25-2021, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
At the risk of being redundant, if anyone can recommend any PNM for any sorority, doesn't that negate the whole concept? What's to stop Nancy Nu from writing dishonest recs for all of the local PNMs to all but her sorority?
AMEN!!! Recs are just about meaningless at this point. Why waste the time if anyone, non-alumnae, non-Greek, man, etc, can write a rec?
Old 07-26-2021, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
AMEN!!! Recs are just about meaningless at this point. Why waste the time if anyone, non-alumnae, non-Greek, man, etc, can write a rec?
As I noted earlier in the thread, it doesn't mean they all carry the same weight. However, if someone like a high school principal wrote a rec, would you really think it was meaningless? When these students applied for college, they didn't only accept recommendation letters from the school's alumni. When you apply for a job, you don't have to have references from that company. That would be insane.
Old 07-26-2021, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

I have known principals to write various kinds of recs for many, many kids they didn't even know. This has resulted in a lot of jerky, dramatic, or mean kids getting awards, etc. only because they had good grades. (Which, come to think of it, were achieved by cheating in some cases.)
Old 07-26-2021, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I have known principals to write various kinds of recs for many, many kids they didn't even know. This has resulted in a lot of jerky, dramatic, or mean kids getting awards, etc. only because they had good grades. (Which, come to think of it, were achieved by cheating in some cases.)
This.
Old 07-27-2021, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I asked one of our former national officers about this. This lady is very involved in the fraternal Capitol Hill efforts.
Being recommended for membership by a current member is a vital part of fraternal organizations legally remaining single sex groups.
That's what she told me. Phi Mu has gotten around this by their national prez just recommended everybody sight unseen.
NPC seems to be pushing for this as a body.
It'll be interesting to see how they get around this little requirement....or maybe they just want to open every group up to everybody?
I've got a *really* hard time imagining the statement in Bold being true. The fraternities of the NIC, Kappa Beta Gamma and (of both genders) the NPHC and NALFO seem to be in no threat of losing their Title IX status.
Old 07-27-2021, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

Stay in your lane Naraht.
Old 08-15-2021, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Kappa Delta no longer requires recs for membership. Our HQ has also completely revised the rec form.

My opinion is that recs lost their value years ago now that 1) anyone can request a rec from a sorority member they find online - and so many are willing to write them. 2) for some sororities, anyone can write them.

I’ve brought this up 2 years in a row on the r/sororities Reddit and am tremendously downvoted.. ��
Old 08-15-2021, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdonline View Post
My opinion is that recs lost their value years ago now that 1) anyone can request a rec from a sorority member they find online - and so many are willing to write them.
Well, they wouldn't have it sorority alumnae had been trained properly as pledges/new members.
Another fallout of the shorter pledging period.

Old 08-15-2021, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well, they wouldn't have it sorority alumnae had been trained properly as pledges/new members.
Why couldn't they train initiated collegiates? Why only new members?

@~/~~~~
Old 08-16-2021, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool shortened pledge period has nothing to do with it

Quote:
The shortened pledge period has nothing to do with it.

I was initiated during the 1980s, and spent all 4 years as an active, in a large house at an SEC school. Not once were we given training on how to write a recommendation.