GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Upsilon
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,381
1 members and 2,380 guests
Cookiez17
Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation Excuse us for posting here but we just have to defend ourselves

Nahrat for your information we have done 20 things in bringing DU to the campus , and we never did try to establish Delta Upsilon without permission.It just so happened that all of us the pioneers in the Philippines are already alumni and because we try to work abroad thats why we didn`t process the recognition consistently.

Before I was in Singapore working as data controller and now I`m here in Riyadh, KSA working as Department Manager.We are seeking also our future therefore applying for recognition to our chapters in the Philippines wasn`t that easy until in 2008 last year that our brothers in the Philippines had called us and inform that Delta Upsilon is getting strong in our country so I decided and all the alumni decided to pursue the application for recognition.

Don`t compare our affiliation with APO-Phil and Alphasig-Phil cause in the past there wasn`t internet as you know and the process of applying for recognition before can`t be done by emails instead by personal visit only.Unlike now, that I do have contact with the Exec Director and I keep on sending emails to him and as well as informing me that the final decision will be on this coming January 9 ,2009.As a matter of fact we are still under investigation and last October 23-26 ,2008 if am not mistaken during the Board of Directors meeting our chapters had been discuss and included in the agenda.

Honestly, am a fratman in college ,two time member of different fraternities , I decided to quit cause i really hate hazing !!!!I was even the president of these fraternities until times comes that I finish college that I decided to leave the fraternity.

About APO and ALPHASIG they are great fraternities in the Philippines ,in fact most politicians are APO member.With regards to Alpha Sigma Phi I know a lot about the history of this fraternity here in the Philippines ,its right that in 1984 the ties between ASP-USA and ASP-Phil was done.Indeed, one representative from the Philippines ,the late Atty. Leandro Echavez was the father of my soon to be wife.And even her is also a member of Alpha Sigma Phi.The only difference of ASP-USA and ASP-Phil is that USA is exlcusive for men only or shall we say fraternity while in the Philippines its COED or both men and women can joined the group.

I just want to say something to some people who will gonna post again and still continue to put us down all I can say is that please give us some space cause we don`t disturb u nor we mind your business!!!!!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-05-2009, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Post DU in the Philippines are registered in respective universities only

About the list of organizations that nahrat has post ,Delta Upsilon wasn`t included on the list coz we are still waiting for the final approval of the official recognition if ever we will be accepted and be a part of the International.

The list of fraternities present there are the fraternities registered in the Securities and Exchange Commission of the Philippines.If ever we will be officially recognize ,by the time of my vacation this May to the Philippines I will registered the fraternity to the government agency and that is the Securities and Exchange Commission.

We need legal documents and official recognition in order for us to register in SEC Philippines.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Not trying to put you down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alumnisec View Post
Nahrat for your information we have done 20 things in bringing DU to the campus , and we never did try to establish Delta Upsilon without permission.It just so happened that all of us the pioneers in the Philippines are already alumni and because we try to work abroad thats why we didn`t process the recognition consistently.

Before I was in Singapore working as data controller and now I`m here in Riyadh, KSA working as Department Manager.We are seeking also our future therefore applying for recognition to our chapters in the Philippines wasn`t that easy until in 2008 last year that our brothers in the Philippines had called us and inform that Delta Upsilon is getting strong in our country so I decided and all the alumni decided to pursue the application for recognition.

Don`t compare our affiliation with APO-Phil and Alphasig-Phil cause in the past there wasn`t internet as you know and the process of applying for recognition before can`t be done by emails instead by personal visit only.Unlike now, that I do have contact with the Exec Director and I keep on sending emails to him and as well as informing me that the final decision will be on this coming January 9 ,2009.As a matter of fact we are still under investigation and last October 23-26 ,2008 if am not mistaken during the Board of Directors meeting our chapters had been discuss and included in the agenda.

Honestly, am a fratman in college ,two time member of different fraternities , I decided to quit cause i really hate hazing !!!!I was even the president of these fraternities until times comes that I finish college that I decided to leave the fraternity.

About APO and ALPHASIG they are great fraternities in the Philippines ,in fact most politicians are APO member.With regards to Alpha Sigma Phi I know a lot about the history of this fraternity here in the Philippines ,its right that in 1984 the ties between ASP-USA and ASP-Phil was done.Indeed, one representative from the Philippines ,the late Atty. Leandro Echavez was the father of my soon to be wife.And even her is also a member of Alpha Sigma Phi.The only difference of ASP-USA and ASP-Phil is that USA is exlcusive for men only or shall we say fraternity while in the Philippines its COED or both men and women can joined the group.

I just want to say something to some people who will gonna post again and still continue to put us down all I can say is that please give us some space cause we don`t disturb u nor we mind your business!!!!!!

I was not the one who questioned how the ritual could be legal. As I understand from your post, the people who first initiated brothers in the Philippines are alumni of Delta Upsilon in North America, is this correct?

In many ways your proposed affiliation is somewhat between those of Alpha Phi Omega than Alpha Sigma Phi.

For Alpha Phi Omega, the difference in time between brothers being initiated in the Philippines (March 1950) and acceptance of this fact by the North American Fraternity was a matter of months and *that* delay was mostly waiting for the next National Convention (December 1950). Alpha Phi Omega's National Board was kept informed during the entire process. While relations were informally suspended after the Ferdinand Tabtab situation, there was *never* a feeling that the group in the Philippines was in any way illegally using any symbols. (See http://www.apo.org.ph/?mode=articles&cmd=view&id=72) (I'm on both Alpha Phi Omega national History and Archives Committee and on the International Relations Committee)

For Alpha Sigma Phi, I haven't any information to indicate that Alpha Sigma Phi in North America was aware of the founding of Alpha Sigma Phi in the Philippines, in fact given that the first two chapters in the Philippines which were founded in 1959 and 1965 were not themselves merged into a single national organization until 1972, I would be surprised if the North American brothers were aware prior to that time.

I would frankly *love* to see Delta Upsilon in the Philippines in affiliation with Delta Upsilon of North America. However, due to differences in standard of living *and* the college life between North America and the Philippines, that requirements that make sense in one may not make sense in the other. For this reason, I think that an international affiliation of the form of Alpha Phi Omega or Alpha Sigma Phi would be superior to that of becoming a province of Delta Upsilon of North America. Having said that, becoming a province would be massively superior to the current situation.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
About the list of organizations that nahrat has post ,Delta Upsilon wasn`t included on the list coz we are still waiting for the final approval of the official recognition if ever we will be accepted and be a part of the International.

The list of fraternities present there are the fraternities registered in the Securities and Exchange Commission of the Philippines.If ever we will be officially recognize ,by the time of my vacation this May to the Philippines I will registered the fraternity to the government agency and that is the Securities and Exchange Commission.

We need legal documents and official recognition in order for us to register in SEC Philippines.
I didn't include Delta Upsilon in that listing because the situation is currently in flux. (Frankly, I'd be surprised if things could be *totally* sorted out on January 9th, everything I've seen proposed would seem to require that the change would be "ratified" by a change of the bylaws by the Delta Upsilon Convention.)

I'm not sure that any list exists of all of the groups registered by the SEC. The one mentioned here that is on scribed is originally from Wikipedia (I created that wikipedia page in the first place) (Can't find the post in this thread )and I barely knew about the SEC at the time. I have added Delta Upsilon to that page on Wikipedia now.

In regards to that, are familiar with a group called Delta Gamma Beta? They are a Philippine group that listed themselves on the Wikipedia page with their International affiliation being that of Delta Upsilon. Are they an affiliated Sorority to Delta Upsilon in the Philippines or something similar?

I'd *love* to be able to get an official list of Fraternities and Sororities that have registered with the SEC, any ideas how to get such a list?
Old 01-06-2009, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
I was not the one who questioned how the ritual could be legal. As I understand from your post, the people who first initiated brothers in the Philippines are alumni of Delta Upsilon in North America, is this correct?
This is not correct. The seven "pioneers" as they term themselves obtained DU's ritual online and initiated themselves. They were students from the Philippines who are now alumni from the Philippines. No one from DU in North America participated in their "initiation."
Old 01-06-2009, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAEalumnus View Post
This is not correct. The seven "pioneers" as they term themselves obtained DU's ritual online and initiated themselves. They were students from the Philippines who are now alumni from the Philippines. No one from DU in North America participated in their "initiation."
Ah. That complicates things...
Old 01-06-2009, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Ah. That complicates things...
Agreed. There's absolutely a set protocol that is to be followed in the request to a GLO for a charter. Going about things the way the are is like putting the cart before the horse. It's not likely to do them any favors. Frankly I'd be very surprised if DU-IHQ actually granted them any kind of recognized status.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Correction Sae-alumnus ,we are not students anymore when we established DU in Phil.

I am a 2000 graduate of BS Geology and the others are same with my course and Engineering courses.We establish the fraternity in the year 2004 and we do have respective jobs already when we have decided to expand Delta Upsilon.

In 2001 I was already started working abroad and same with my brothers who have decided to migrate in other countries.I am a former president of my fraternities during college way back 1996-2000.And I know a lot with regards to registration of fraternities in universities that is why in 2004 we come up to a decision to try to ask for approval to Delta Upsilon in North America if they will allow us to expand thier fraternity to our country.

What encourage us before to establish and expand Delta Upsilon in the Philippines was that there are two alumni from Alberta and Miami chapter that had responded our emails and advice us to solidify the fraternity and as well as send the list of members and photos to the IHQ for reference.Due to this we decided to solidify it by making the fraternity registered to Silliman University (www.su.edu.ph) or the first chapter where Delta Upsilon was expanded.

But our application wasn`t consistent for the reason that we do also want our future to be stable so we migrate again to other countries for the good of our carrrier.But last year we do finalize our application for recognition cause the fraternity has been expanding to other parts of the country and in fact we do have 6-7 active chapters now.

We don`t want to expect that we will be recognize but at least we did our best to be affiliated to the International.The alumni association of Delta Upsilon in the Philippines and also the undergraduates chapters are ready for whatever it may takes regarding our affiliation.We will accept it.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Delta Gamma Beta has nothing to do with DU Philippines

Quote:
I didn't include Delta Upsilon in that listing because the situation is currently in flux. (Frankly, I'd be surprised if things could be *totally* sorted out on January 9th, everything I've seen proposed would seem to require that the change would be "ratified" by a change of the bylaws by the Delta Upsilon Convention.)

I'm not sure that any list exists of all of the groups registered by the SEC. The one mentioned here that is on scribed is originally from Wikipedia (I created that wikipedia page in the first place) (Can't find the post in this thread )and I barely knew about the SEC at the time. I have added Delta Upsilon to that page on Wikipedia now.

In regards to that, are familiar with a group called Delta Gamma Beta? They are a Philippine group that listed themselves on the Wikipedia page with their International affiliation being that of Delta Upsilon. Are they an affiliated Sorority to Delta Upsilon in the Philippines or something similar?

I'd *love* to be able to get an official list of Fraternities and Sororities that have registered with the SEC, any ideas how to get such a list?

I`m sorry I was thinking that was the list of the SEC Philippines.Anyway Delta Gamma Beta is totally not connected with the Delta Upsilon.They are a different organization.They don`n apply for any kind of affiliation cause Delta Gamma Beta in the Philippines is quite a strong and stable fraternity already.Kindly edit that one cause I think they will react with that one cause I have some friends who are members of that fraternity.

About the list of fraternities registered in SEC Philippines,I will send it to you after I could email the agency in the Philippines.As of now I can`t register Delta Upsilon in the Securities and Exchange Commission in the Philippines cause they need legal documents that comes from the IHQ to register Delta Upsilon in the said agency.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I`m sorry I was thinking that was the list of the SEC Philippines.Anyway Delta Gamma Beta is totally not connected with the Delta Upsilon.They are a different organization.They don`n apply for any kind of affiliation cause Delta Gamma Beta in the Philippines is quite a strong and stable fraternity already.Kindly edit that one cause I think they will react with that one cause I have some friends who are members of that fraternity.

About the list of fraternities registered in SEC Philippines,I will send it to you after I could email the agency in the Philippines.As of now I can`t register Delta Upsilon in the Securities and Exchange Commission in the Philippines cause they need legal documents that comes from the IHQ to register Delta Upsilon in the said agency.
I know that I can check for fraternities/sororities being reserved or registered one by one at the SEC page http://iregister.sec.gov.ph/MainServlet?param=search, but I don't know if there is a more efficient way.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...our chapters in the Philippines are still waiting for the final recognition this coming January 9, 2009 as what the executive director had told me...
Today's the day. I wonder how soon we'll have an answer? Any DUs in contact with HQ to be able to find out?
Old 01-09-2009, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Approve or Disapprove it`s fine with us

We are ready for whatever it may takes as I`ve said before ,we will accept and respect the decision of the Board.At least we try our best and we are well prepare for the outcome of the meeting.

Just want to thank all those DU`s who are members of these greekchat forum for not even reacting nor commenting on whatever we have posted here.Thanks to Kyle of Iowa chapter for accepting our affiliation to the IHQ and even posted in this greekchat forum the forwarded letter being sent to thier chapter during the Board of Director Meeting last October 24-26 ,2008 regarding our application for recognition.

If ever we will be approve or disapprove , all I could say is, In behalf of the Delta Upsilon in the Philippines we are grateful to be a part (even if not official due to unchartered) of this fraternity but our existence depends on the final decision of the Board and our brotherhood now lies on the result of the meeting starting today ,and to all North American DU`s and as well in Canada ,just want to thank you all for your consideration and as well as repecting our application to be a recognize chapter.

Thank to you all cause I don`t know if maybe this is my last day of posting if ever we will be disapprove.Thanks again an best regards to all!!!
Old 01-09-2009, 07:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Delta Upsilon in Silliman University Chapter in the Philippines

Delta Upsilon`s first chapter in the Philippines was in Silliman University wherein its one of the top schools in the Philippines.

Here is the complete data :
http://www.philippinenews.com/article.php?id=1503

http://www.filipinasoul.com/the-phil...-universities/

Last edited by alumnisec; 01-10-2009 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Just check it out
Old 01-11-2009, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAEalumnus View Post
Today's the day. I wonder how soon we'll have an answer? Any DUs in contact with HQ to be able to find out?
i've been with IHQ all weekend. 8th - 11th for convention in Indy. our UGAB only briefly mentioned the topic in passing but it didnt seem like it was a big item to talk about on the agenda. Honestly, i think the issue was hardly discussed seeing as how all of IHQ was busy running our Winter Conference. i heard the topic tabled to the 16th. but this is all info i've just overheard, nothing official.

Did you know if you watch jaws backwards, its a movie about a shark that throws up so many people that they have to build a beach?
Old 01-11-2009, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Are we disapprove?

Ruf are we disapprove?If ever you have any idea please let me know cause am also waiting for the email of the exec director Justin Kirk ,if we will be disapprove its fine with us we will respect the decision of the Board.

Although all of us will be sadden but we will accept the truth that it is not easy to apply for recognition.

Thanks for the infos you posted here ,please do post always if ever you have new news on our affiliation.
Closed Thread